PDA

View Full Version : Carb Cycling Layout Impressions

Irish Pilot
03-16-2009, 12:34 PM
After reading several carb cycling articles, Ive found that there are many different variations of carb cycling, and for me its lead to a lot of confusion. Ive decided to try the standard High-Low-No cycle for my cut. Ive recently plateau'd some on weight loss, and several have suggested carb cycling. Its simple, but I figured I would lay it out and make sure I didn't misunderstand the principles. Right now Im running a 4 day split.

Day 1: Chest and Triceps (High Carb - 50/40/10 - 2ooo cal)
Day 2: Back and Biceps (Low Carb - 155g Carbs - 30/55/15 - 2ooo cal)
Day 3: LISS & Rest (No Carb - Carbs Under 10g - 18oo cal)
Day 4: Quads, Hams, and Calves (High Carb - 50/40/10 - 2ooo cal)
Day 5: Shoulders, Traps (Low Carb - 155g Carbs - 30/55/15 - 2ooo cal)
Day 6: LISS & Rest (No Carb - Carbs Under 10g - 18oo cal)

Its based on the Twin Peak article. All carb meals are consumed pre, post, and around lunch (I lift in the early mornings.) Any thoughts or clarifications?

Brodiesel
03-16-2009, 04:14 PM
No carbs seems difficult as hell, why not high moderate low?

Irish Pilot
03-16-2009, 04:18 PM
No carbs seems difficult as hell, why not high moderate low?

Its not that hard actually...like a single day of Keto. ;) Lots of meats, good fats, etc. Salmon, bacon, eggs...

Mercuryblade
03-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Its not that hard actually...like a single day of Keto. ;) Lots of meats, good fats, etc. Salmon, bacon, eggs...

I can't do zero carb days, I feel absolutely miserable when my blood sugar dips down too low.
If you can handle them more power to you.

VikingWarlord
03-16-2009, 04:54 PM
I can't do zero carb days, I feel absolutely miserable when my blood sugar dips down too low.
If you can handle them more power to you.

I agree. It's not just a little bit uncomfortable, it's misery on a level I never fathomed before I tried it.

If you've done it before and know you can do it, rock on. If you haven't, you might want to come up with a backup plan.

BrainDed
03-16-2009, 05:00 PM
After reading several carb cycling articles, Ive found that there are many different variations of carb cycling, and for me its lead to a lot of confusion. Ive decided to try the standard High-Low-No cycle for my cut. Ive recently plateau'd some on weight loss, and several have suggested carb cycling. Its simple, but I figured I would lay it out and make sure I didn't misunderstand the principles. Right now Im running a 4 day split.

Day 1: Chest and Triceps (High Carb - 50/40/10 - 2ooo cal)
Day 2: Back and Biceps (Low Carb - 155g Carbs - 55/30/15 - 2ooo cal)
Day 3: LISS & Rest (No Carb - Carbs Under 10g - 18oo cal)
Day 4: Quads, Hams, and Calves (High Carb - 50/40/10 - 2ooo cal)
Day 5: Shoulders, Traps (Low Carb - 155g Carbs - 55/30/15 - 2ooo cal)
Day 6: LISS & Rest (No Carb - Carbs Under 10g - 18oo cal)

Its based on the Twin Peak article. All carb meals are consumed pre, post, and around lunch (I lift in the early mornings.) Any thoughts or clarifications?

I'm gonna try it next week. Thanks for the post. What about day 7?

HILL
03-16-2009, 05:15 PM
personally you only want 1 high carb/refeed day per week, 2 medium days most and the rest low days. schedule your lagging bodypart the day after your refeed day. Try not to have rest days on low days as this is when your body is using looking for extra energy. if its a low/no day then it will get it from fat on your body.

BrainDed
03-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Try not to have rest days on low days as this is when your body is using looking for extra energy. if its a low/no day then it will get it from fat on your body.

I think you may have mistyped here because this is a contridiction. He is cycling to cut, so having your body go after your fat is the goal. So I am confused by your statement.

Irish Pilot
03-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I agree. It's not just a little bit uncomfortable, it's misery on a level I never fathomed before I tried it.

If you've done it before and know you can do it, rock on...

Ive done it. I tried Keto for a little over a month and got really good at figuring out what to eat with no carbs. Its quite easy actually...you would be surprised. Like I said, lots of bacon, steak, eggs, etc.

I'm gonna try it next week. Thanks for the post. What about day 7?

I use a 6 day rotation.

ZenMonkey
03-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Do you have the link to that article?

VikingWarlord
03-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Ive done it. I tried Keto for a little over a month and got really good at figuring out what to eat with no carbs. Its quite easy actually...you would be surprised. Like I said, lots of bacon, steak, eggs, etc.

I use a 6 day rotation.

I've done 5 PSMF cycles, but even then it's very hard to get below 10g of carbs if you're also trying to restrict fat intake.

Irish Pilot
03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
One of many...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

Irish Pilot
03-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I've done 5 PSMF cycles, but even then it's very hard to get below 10g of carbs if you're also trying to restrict fat intake.

Agreed. Not every day will be below 10g...but usually its easy to keep under 15-20. Things like cheese, protein, etc. always seem to have trace carbs and throughout the day it adds up.

ZenMonkey
03-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Which day do you hit keto?

Irish Pilot
03-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Which day do you hit keto?

I dont think you will go into full ketosis on this cycle. For most people, it takes several days of less than 50g carbs to indicate the "symptoms" of ketosis...and then a few weeks of low carbs to get the full benefit of being "fat adapted" as I understand it.

ZenMonkey
03-16-2009, 07:29 PM
I dont think you will go into full ketosis on this cycle. For most people, it takes several days of less than 50g carbs to indicate the "symptoms" of ketosis...and then a few weeks of low carbs to get the full benefit of being "fat adapted" as I understand it.

Right, thats what I thought, but you said this:

VikingWarlord
03-16-2009, 07:47 PM

It usually depends how fast you rip through your glycogen stores.

Once someone starts an actual ketogenic diet, it will usually take anywhere from 2 days to a week to hit actual ketosis. It happens sooner if you do a depletion workout and later if you don't do much of anything.

Brodiesel
03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
he should be doing the low intensity cardio on his low/ no carb days, his body will resort to his fat stores for energy on these days. But most people recommend taking in some protein pre the cardio to keep the muscles fed to prevent atrophy. You could probably start with 2 high days and after a few weeks when you start to stall you could drop 1 high day down to a moderate/low day and bump up the cardio.

Irish Pilot
03-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Right, thats what I thought, but you said this:

Correct. Its "like a single day of keto." It was a reference to what the no carb day's diet plan is like.

slick
03-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Ive been trying get a grasp on carb cycling, maybe not the twin peak he is talking about, but I am on my first serious cut, 179>210 almost, and want to get back down to 185 is my goal.

I have cut out calories, but am very interested in targeting fat, thus carb cycling sounds like the way to go.

I have a 3 course meal plan here at college

breakfast i have access to eggs/get an omelet made/bacon/sausage/all types of bagels and breads/milks/yogurt/granola/fruit/etc. So which of them would be my source for carbs?

lunch and dinner there are always two sources of meat, always chicken/rice/veggies/salads/bagels/breads/milk/fruit/granola/etc.

Now with a basic understanding of how i can set myself to a certain eating schedule for everyday. How do i decide which days to go with what level of carbs. What does this mean on a high carb day "High Carb - 50/40/10"

I sincerely appreciate anyone who can take the 3 minutes out of their day and fully explain/possibly help me lay out what I should be following. Currently doing a workout similar to WBB1.1-2.

Irish Pilot
03-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Ive been trying get a grasp on carb cycling...

I sincerely appreciate anyone who can take the 3 minutes out of their day and fully explain...

With all due respect, it might take more than 3 minutes for someone to lay it all out for your. Do some research on your own, and then once you have some groundwork knowledge, please start your own thread so we can keep this one on track. Here are some links to get you started.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3717251

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2845231

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par49.htm

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_mass/shredded_at_last_1

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=811783

slick
03-17-2009, 11:24 AM
sweet links, thats exactly what i needed, i was reading BUILT's cutting diet link, and i just got lost in areas.

thats all i need, thank you so much!

HILL
03-17-2009, 04:25 PM
I think you may have mistyped here because this is a contridiction. He is cycling to cut, so having your body go after your fat is the goal. So I am confused by your statement.

What i meant was that of he trains on a low day his body will use more fat for energy were if he trains on high and medium days he is more likely to use food for energy. maybe i didnt say this in the correct way but i thought i did.

KarstenDD
03-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Simple (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2945)

Advanced (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2941)

slick
03-17-2009, 10:04 PM
id rather read articles then pay money and buy books. but thanks.

Irish Pilot
03-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Weighed in today after a little over a week of cycling. Yesterday was a no carb day so I figured I would be at my lightest water weight today. Well...not only did I not lose, I show up 2lbs. Ugh...just dont get it. How can the workload I put into this combined with a calorie deficit not have me losing weight all these weeks. Im bangin my head against the wall here...

fuzzy123
03-19-2009, 05:59 AM
If you lwoer ur carbs does this create fat to be used as a fuel resource?

Pimpstick
03-19-2009, 06:45 AM

No. If you lower your total calories, then yes, gradually.

VikingWarlord
03-19-2009, 06:59 AM

The answer to that isn't really simple because it's dependent on other things. Like pimpstick said, your overall calories need to drop too but you also need to train properly.