PDA

View Full Version : Nubcake - Rippetoes or 5x5 or ?

Beefcaker
03-16-2009, 01:14 PM
6'0 210lbs 22yrs... I've been working out for a while now (off and on since I was 17, and pretty committed for the last couple years), but not really working for strength; I was training as an endomorph bodybuilder would with high reps on every set and such. Last time I maxed was S315/BP225/DL405 (Not very impressive I know...) but I think my bench is higher now (maybe 245), cuz it's the only one I've been able to do much of lately. My favorite things to do are deadlift and squat though, and I really want to get stronger in those lifts. I'd honestly like to get strong enough to compete without embarassing myself.

Last November, I slipped a disk in my back and I've also developed a hernia. I'm supposed to be able to lift heavy again sometime in April if everything keeps going the same way. With a belt, the nernia doesn't hurt so bad, so I'll work through it until it gets worse (if it gets worse). My question is which routine I should do now that I want to powerlift.

I know I'm not really a beginner when it comes to weights, but I'm a beginner with powerlifting for sure. Would Rippetoe SS be too beginner for me? Should I go ahead and move to the next one? I'm not really sure how "experienced" I would be considered to be.

Brad08
03-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I know I'm not really a beginner when it comes to weights, but I'm a beginner with powerlifting for sure. Would Rippetoe SS be too beginner for me? Should I go ahead and move to the next one? I'm not really sure how "experienced" I would be considered to be.

If you can make linear progress (meaning, you can add weight to the bar every session and get stronger), then you're a beginner. That's how I understand it. Try the Starting Strength routine. Follow it. Don't screw it up and then complain in 3 weeks that it "didn't work for you." You should be able to AT LEAST make straight, linear progress for a couple of months if you choose your starting weights properly (meaning, conservatively). Then when you can't, move into the intermediate program.

*edit to say, at 22 y/o, you should really be able to pile on the poundage both on the bar and on your frame if you eat enough. That should help you make linear progress for a good while.

Beefcaker
03-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it.

geoffsherman
03-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Truthfully, the most important thing is to find a program and stick to it. Whether that program is 5/3/1, starting strength, 5x5, or what have you, you will have success if you are consistent and follow it.

Beefcaker
03-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm pretty consistant, and with everybody saying how fool proof this is, I doubt I'll want to change anything. Although, I have seen that some people add in the chins and dips; is that a good or bad idea? I kinda like it..

I think the hardest thing will be figuring out the starting weights for all the lifts.

Beefcaker
03-25-2009, 01:33 AM
Did my first day of Rippetoe's today. I didn't do the chins/dips this time, though. Felt good. I think I'm gonna be makin lots o progress.

Any recommendations on when I should be doing cardio? I read that Rippetoe recommends to do it after working out, but I was thinking of doing it on my days off (minus one)