PDA

View Full Version : Grinding food

Big Jay
03-16-2009, 03:23 PM
ok so this is probably a stupid question to ask, but;
I plan to use a coffee grinder to grind up oats, seeds etc to put into my shakes. To cut down on time im gonna grind up a whole ton of oats and seeds and put the powder into a plastic tubs so when i make my shake i just need to lift out a few scoops instead of usin the grinder 3 times a day.
My question is will oats and seeds go out of date alot quicker when ground up?
In my head i don't think they will cause they'll be stored in a cool dry place... but i'm not 100% sure... especially with the seeds (usin pumpkin seeds).

again sorry if this is really stupid... just was thinkin that a blended fruit or vegetable wouldn't last as long in a cupboard as an untouched one

whiteman90909
03-16-2009, 05:18 PM
You can get ground oats, so I'm sure those would be fine.

I imagine the seeds would be ok too. I mean, PB is fine when you dont put in in the fridge, and that's pretty much the same thing you're talking about...

Big Jay
03-17-2009, 08:22 PM
i suppose you're right. thanks man

Mercuryblade
03-17-2009, 09:00 PM
What kind of seeds are you planning on grinding up?
Some of the beneficial compounds (ie you DHA's, EPA's) aren't incredibly stable, and when you grind up a seed you exposing its contents to more contact with the outside air, they are more likely to oxidize and break down. So some things like Flax seed, to get maximum benefits you have to grind every you want to ingest them.

I guess it really depends on what seeds you are putting in your shakes and why.

Big Jay
03-18-2009, 08:53 AM
just stickin with pumpkin seeds at the min... mainly to increase the cals but the extra protein is handy too