PDA

View Full Version : Smolov Question

twister3634
03-16-2009, 11:30 PM
While Squatting, I stil want to bench and Accessories.
Can i do this?

Squat + Bench monday,
Squat + Arms + sholders Wed
Squat + bench Fri,
Squat + Back and traps Sat

Brian C
03-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Way too much squatting. You will burn out and overtain. Stick to squatting twice a week.

Pete22
03-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Way too much squatting. You will burn out and overtain. Stick to squatting twice a week.

Yeah, but that's the way a Smolov squat cycle is set-up. I've never tried it, but some people have made pretty good gains on it. It's definitely not a year round type of training.

OP, I would imagine you could still bench with some accessories, but your numbers will definitely take a hit due to all the squatting. Good luck and let us know if the Smolov kills you or not. :D

Brian C
03-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah, but that's the way a Smolov squat cycle is set-up. I've never tried it, but some people have made pretty good gains on it. It's definitely not a year round type of training.

OP, I would imagine you could still bench with some accessories, but your numbers will definitely take a hit due to all the squatting. Good luck and let us know if the Smolov kills you or not. :D

Oh my bad, didnt know it required that much squatting. Seems pretty crazy. I could never squat that much, i'd be toast.

Xellarz
03-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah, you can do that. Like Pete said, your other lifts may take a hit. I personally don't think you should bench twice a week while doing the Smolov, but it's up to you. Also, say you're doing the Smolov on MWFSa - I think it'd be helpfull if you could manage to fit in your bench and accessory work on T,H...or atleast as much of it as you can so that you're not pulling marathon lifting sessions on your Smolov squat days.

kingswoodlegend
03-18-2009, 05:41 AM
The Smolov squat program looks intense! looks like it would deffinately work on strength!
Has anyone tried this? how about in terms of size gains? would you see much do you think?

EatMyWay2TheTop
03-18-2009, 06:50 AM
The Smolov squat program looks intense! looks like it would deffinately work on strength!
Has anyone tried this? how about in terms of size gains? would you see much do you think?

I'd probably get hurt or die from squat overdose with that routine.

Xellarz
03-18-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't really know about the size gains from the Smolov, but it will definitely increase your strength and improve your form. It'll help your form because you're doing so many sets of the same weight...if you rotate your toes out just a little more than usual, the set will be harder, etc. I highly recommend the Smolov to anyone who can squat more than 2x bw and who have the mental strength to be able to push themselves and not quit.

J.C.
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
The stronglifts.com website has some interesting articles on smolov.

I'd advise you check them out. It gives some simple descriptions of what it is exactly and also reports from people who've done it.The before and after pics of their legs are impressive. The owner of the website (Medhi), also documents his success using Smolov to increase his front squat, which is a particularly evil idea! The website (I think) also lays out the rest of the the lifting routine that was used, so you can check against that. If I remember correctly, other volume was very low, consisting mostly of overhead presses, and occasionally the other lifts. I think if you're doing something that squat-orientated you should maybe just concentrate on one other exercise as it will be more mentally achievable.

Intense program but something I'd be interested in trying in a couple of years maybe, once my gains have slowed down.

Sensei
03-18-2009, 05:48 PM
I've done modified Smolov routines several times and it certainly got me in squatting shape quickly. I've never done the original Smolov - I quickly overreach on less intense variants.

If you're young and/or on gear, you might be able to handle it. I don't think I could unless I started at much lower %s than prescribed.

Here's a modified Smolov cycle you could try if you're interested: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84926

thimothy
11-05-2010, 04:50 AM
I would like to remind him that everything depends on his stamina. But I personally believe that there is no need for him to do squatting every day. He will need to do it only once or twice a week. Otherwise it will seriously harm his body. I am saying this from my experience. I used to follow a similar routine. For nearly five months everything went well. After that I started having back problems. When I met the doctor he told me to take rest at least for a month.

bojackson
11-05-2010, 08:14 AM
umm..5 months? thats a long time to run that type of program without a break. maybe that was why you got hurt. ive run this program and it is definately brutal. ran it for 10 weeks and it was rough. got stronger, but my other lifts did take a hit.

Brian Hopper
11-05-2010, 08:20 AM
I could never squat that much, i'd be toast.

Same here, that would kick my a**!!!!!

NickAus
11-07-2010, 03:07 AM
While Squatting, I stil want to bench and Accessories.
Can i do this?

Squat + Bench monday,
Squat + Arms + sholders Wed
Squat + bench Fri,
Squat + Back and traps Sat

That is too much extra work.

Just have a bench day and a back day (after squats).

Smolov squat routine is a SQUAT routine.

Selk has done Smolov a lot in the past from memory and has a big squat, perhaps he can give you some advice.

NickAus
11-07-2010, 03:09 AM
Also if you are dead keen on building the other lifts at the same time there are better ways to train.......just saying.

Brian C
11-07-2010, 08:11 AM
back from the dead post... I still couldn't squat that much a week...I like being able to walk ;)