PDA

View Full Version : Need a good Salmon recipe

given'er
03-17-2009, 10:08 AM
How do you guys cook your salmon? I need to get a little more creative in my cooking. My plain and tastless meals are starting to annoy my wife....lol.

Mercuryblade
03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
How do you guys cook your salmon? I need to get a little more creative in my cooking. My plain and tastless meals are starting to annoy my wife....lol.

Get a smoker.

You also can't go wrong by just wrapping the salmon up in aluminum foil, throwing a little dill,some lemon slices, seasalt, and tossing it on the grill.

Pesto and salmon also go really good together.

Now I really want salmon.

EDIT: You can buy pre-made pesto, but home-made pesto with fresh basil is so much better tasting.

WillNoble
03-17-2009, 01:38 PM
IMO the only realy way to cook salmon is on a cedar or alder (if avail.) plank over a low fire with your choice of spices, rups. or mops...

the possibilities are endless...

Mercuryblade
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
IMO the only realy way to cook salmon is on a cedar or alder (if avail.) plank over a low fire with your choice of spices, rups. or mops...

the possibilities are endless...

I completely forgot about that method. My dad did a bunch of those last summer and it was amazing.

VikingWarlord
03-17-2009, 02:21 PM
My favorite way is to brush it with olive oil, then throw on some kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, a little Mediterranean basil, and broil that sumbitch. If you're using good quality meat, you don't need to season much.

mattburns
03-18-2009, 06:34 AM
You also can't go wrong by just wrapping the salmon up in aluminum foil, throwing a little dill,some lemon slices, seasalt, and tossing it on the grill.

That is my default fish recipe, tastes great and is really quick and simple.

In the past few weeks I've had it on various fish I've caught- flounder, bass, pollack.

Genacide
03-18-2009, 07:04 AM

How long are you looking at for on the grill?

undercnstrction
03-18-2009, 11:13 AM
may i suggest a marinade or sauce with brown sugar and soy sauce w/ some worcestshire sauce as a base? I add all ingredients to taste - and then add cayenne, ginger, pepper, garlic/garlic powder, and anything else I feel like. I have a young daughter who likes the base without the spices, so I make it bland first and then spice it up as needed. The plank method is awesome, especially with the right demi-glace/chutney to completment. Try epicurious.com

given'er
03-18-2009, 12:13 PM
All sound great......thanks guys!

Mercuryblade
03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
How long are you looking at for on the grill?

It really depends on the cut of the meat. After you see the surface of the meat change to that lighter salmon color, cut the thickest part of the steak with a fork, if it flakes off easily you are good to go.

J.C.
03-22-2009, 04:08 PM
I like making a tarragon butter myself.

If you have salmon steaks, just add a little salt and pepper to the fish, then in the last couple minutes in the pan keep spooning the butter over them and it will absorb all the flavour. Buttery, fatty, meaty fish, mmmm