PDA

View Full Version : how do you guys manage to find gyms with heavy dumbells?(140 plus)

rctriplefresh5
03-17-2009, 02:46 PM
ok, ive been lifting at home for a while. i have the basics, a powerrack, 600 pounds of weights, heavy duty bench coc grippers etc. i have always made the most progress on dumbell work however. my dumbells at home only go to about 115(plate loaded) and i want to be able to work my way up to 150s. i know most gyms dont go past 100s or 120s, but i know that some gyms go up to 200s. any advice on what you guys have done to find gyms with heavy dumbells.?

i live in central nj also.

Rusty
03-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Piece of pipe + 2 washers + 200lbs in 10lb weight + 2 pairs of vice grips = adjustable DB's up to 200lbs.

Ben Moore
03-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Piece of pipe + 2 washers + 200lbs in 10lb weight + 2 pairs of vice grips = adjustable DB's up to 200lbs.

There ya go...

Eric Downey
03-17-2009, 03:56 PM
we have 100's to 200's

Tom Mutaffis
03-17-2009, 04:28 PM
ok, ive been lifting at home for a while. i have the basics, a powerrack, 600 pounds of weights, heavy duty bench coc grippers etc. i have always made the most progress on dumbell work however. my dumbells at home only go to about 115(plate loaded) and i want to be able to work my way up to 150s. i know most gyms dont go past 100s or 120s, but i know that some gyms go up to 200s. any advice on what you guys have done to find gyms with heavy dumbells.?

i live in central nj also.

Not sure where exactly in Central NJ you are, but I used to live there...

New York Sports Club in Old Bridge (formerly a Gold's) has dumbells that go up to 160's (at least they should still be there), and just about every NYSC has them up to 150's but their daily pass fee is outrageous. If you just want to get in a couple of workouts then talk to a sales rep and maybe can get some day passes. There are NYSC's in Marlboro, Springfield, Colonia, Old Bridge, Freehold, and a few other locations.

Apollon Gym in Edison has Dumbells that go up to 165 or so as well, used to be a great gym! Powerlifting friendly and a couple pretty strong guys who train there - that is where I used to train. $8 for a day pass and cool setup. They did change owners last year but should still be somewhat the same.

Strong & Shapely Gym in East Rutherford goes up past 150's - believe they may even have as high as 200's. Dave Palumbo (Pro Bodybuilder) trains there I think. Have actually never been up there but the place is known amongst the bodybuilding community.

Diamond Gym in Maplewood - Known as one of the most hardcore gyms in Jersey, only problem that it is in a really bad neighborhood. I wouldn't go there at night but am pretty sure that they have some heavy dumbells 150+.

Work Out World in East Brunswick- I used to live right near this one and don't remember exactly but I think they have some big dumbells there. My former training partners go here and they are very strong guys. There is also a WOW in Freehold, they might only go up to 120's though.

If you need home gym equipment there is a place called Fitness 2000 on Route 22 in Union. It is a little hard to spot, right after the flagship as soon as you pass a gas station (used to be a Hess) on the westbound side. The owner is cool and they will work with you on price. Haven't been there in about two years so this info may not be correct but you can look them up and give a call.

Stay away from Bally's - they only go up to 85 lbs dumbells because of their insurance. Gold's are hit or miss because they are franchised. There is a gym in Cranford that used to be Gold's and is now called something Fitness (it is on Commerce Blvd, used to work there) - they have 150's as well.

rctriplefresh5
03-17-2009, 04:47 PM
we have 100's to 200's
lol you guys dont have any lower than 100s? STRONG HARDCORE GYM.
they should put a sign outside must be able to db press 100s or gtfo lmfao.:omg:

Not sure where exactly in Central NJ you are, but I used to live there...

New York Sports Club in Old Bridge (formerly a Gold's) has dumbells that go up to 160's (at least they should still be there), and just about every NYSC has them up to 150's but their daily pass fee is outrageous. If you just want to get in a couple of workouts then talk to a sales rep and maybe can get some day passes. There are NYSC's in Marlboro, Springfield, Colonia, Old Bridge, Freehold, and a few other locations.

Apollon Gym in Edison has Dumbells that go up to 165 or so as well, used to be a great gym! Powerlifting friendly and a couple pretty strong guys who train there - that is where I used to train. $8 for a day pass and cool setup. They did change owners last year but should still be somewhat the same.

Strong & Shapely Gym in East Rutherford goes up past 150's - believe they may even have as high as 200's. Dave Palumbo (Pro Bodybuilder) trains there I think. Have actually never been up there but the place is known amongst the bodybuilding community.

Diamond Gym in Maplewood - Known as one of the most hardcore gyms in Jersey, only problem that it is in a really bad neighborhood. I wouldn't go there at night but am pretty sure that they have some heavy dumbells 150+.

Work Out World in East Brunswick- I used to live right near this one and don't remember exactly but I think they have some big dumbells there. My former training partners go here and they are very strong guys. There is also a WOW in Freehold, they might only go up to 120's though.

If you need home gym equipment there is a place called Fitness 2000 on Route 22 in Union. It is a little hard to spot, right after the flagship as soon as you pass a gas station (used to be a Hess) on the westbound side. The owner is cool and they will work with you on price. Haven't been there in about two years so this info may not be correct but you can look them up and give a call.

Stay away from Bally's - they only go up to 85 lbs dumbells because of their insurance. Gold's are hit or miss because they are franchised. There is a gym in Cranford that used to be Gold's and is now called something Fitness (it is on Commerce Blvd, used to work there) - they have 150's as well.
wtf lol. my friend iwill be letting me go to the NYSC she works at in marlboro every friday(when she can sneek me in) but last time i went(like a year ago or less they only had 120s.
awesome that you gave me those other options i recently learned manalapan and old bridge are pretty close lmfao.

edit- yeah the WOW in freehold only goes to 120s ive been there before. most gyms are turning into planet fitnesses. it sucks for anyone that can lift good weights. i can only lift the 120s once, but i have to have higher weioghts because i love increasing the weight. like when i was working out at the y my progress stopped once i hit the 100s because the gym didnt have any more. then i joined another gym and soon hit the 120s. i cant imagine what the guys here that are much stronger than me have to do.

vdizenzo
03-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Use 25lb plates on your dumbell handles. I know it changes the range, but it's a sensible solution.

rctriplefresh5
03-17-2009, 05:03 PM
yueah right now im doing that lol. the thing with my handles that is good, is that it doesnt change the ROM, because i put the 25s on the inside and i can still touch the handles to my chest. im just hoping that Tom Mutaffis is right and that the nysc got in some 150s. if hes wrong though, ill work my way up to 120sx5 and go look at that old bridge gym.

cant risk using my dbs at home anymore its pretty dangerous the way i have them set up.

waynedang
03-17-2009, 06:15 PM
I use oly DB handles with 25lb plates. I also use a set of power hooks.

mcdonough9395
03-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Tom ... Great post. I acually live in East Brunswick very close to the WOW. Im currently going to the Balleys when i am home from school and have been looking for a new gym since there DBs only go up to 90s and they lack power racks (Not to mention the atmosphere sucks and the guys generall have no clue). Im definitly going to check out the WOW. Thanks.

rctriplefresh5
03-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Tom ... Great post. I acually live in East Brunswick very close to the WOW. Im currently going to the Balleys when i am home from school and have been looking for a new gym since there DBs only go up to 90s and they lack power racks (Not to mention the atmosphere sucks and the guys generall have no clue). Im definitly going to check out the WOW. Thanks.
dude when i went to that wow it was annoying. the female personal trainer kept telling me im squatting to low.(i dont compete so i like to go ass to grass rather than parallel)

Ben Moore
03-18-2009, 12:23 AM
dude when i went to that wow it was annoying. the female personal trainer kept telling me im squatting to low.(i dont compete so i like to go ass to grass rather than parallel)

quit making excuses and do it then...

rctriplefresh5
03-18-2009, 01:13 AM
how is going lower than necessary making excuses man?

Keith
03-18-2009, 10:22 AM
I use oly DB handles with 25lb plates. I also use a set of power hooks.

:withstupi:

rctriplefresh5
03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
soo i looked at powerlifting watch and theres some gyms in my area but they look fitness centers. im kind of embarassed to call them just to ask how heavy their dbs are. ill feel like a tool if they say oh our dbs go up to 120s and then im like oh ok and then hang up. id feel like in theyre mind theyll be like oh mr big shot is that not good enough for you mister swole ha.
these are the ones by me

Fit for Life Marlboro NJ. (732) 780-2270....http://www.thomasphillipsfitness.com/

The Training Studio Morganville NJ.....732-970-6262http://www.thetrainingstudionj.com/

i cant imagine why a gym called fit for life is on pl watch.

just looked at the training studios website they have dbs from 3-100 pounds.

Eric Downey
03-19-2009, 08:05 PM
We Have A Full Set I Was Just Talking About The Big Ones

Ben Moore
03-19-2009, 10:30 PM
how is going lower than necessary making excuses man?

LOL, Drunk posting FTW!!!

Tom Mutaffis
03-20-2009, 09:11 AM

I would check that out but you can also go to Apollon Gym - I would recommend stopping by if you have never been there. It is a converted firehouse and they have some good equipment. I used to live in Old Bridge and it took me about 15 minutes to get there... route 9 to 287 north to exit 2A I believe (for route 27) and then you drive down right past the enteman's outlet make a right onto Talmadge road and the gym is about 1/2 mile down on your left directly across from Freightliner (a bunch of semi-trucks). Should be $8 for a day pass.

Tom Mutaffis
03-20-2009, 09:25 AM
lol you guys dont have any lower than 100s? STRONG HARDCORE GYM.
they should put a sign outside must be able to db press 100s or gtfo lmfao.:omg:

wtf lol. my friend iwill be letting me go to the NYSC she works at in marlboro every friday(when she can sneek me in) but last time i went(like a year ago or less they only had 120s.
awesome that you gave me those other options i recently learned manalapan and old bridge are pretty close lmfao.

edit- yeah the WOW in freehold only goes to 120s ive been there before. most gyms are turning into planet fitnesses. it sucks for anyone that can lift good weights. i can only lift the 120s once, but i have to have higher weioghts because i love increasing the weight. like when i was working out at the y my progress stopped once i hit the 100s because the gym didnt have any more. then i joined another gym and soon hit the 120s. i cant imagine what the guys here that are much stronger than me have to do.

Yeah, I was pretty sure that the WOW stopped at 120's but wasn't positive.

Used to work at the Marlboro NYSC back in 2004 or 2005 and they definitely had 150's at that time, but they may have gotten rid of them. There is one big guy who might still be a trainer / manager there named Joe Spano, he would probably remember me. If you do find him ask about the other NYSC's or maybe just give them a call - Colonia or Old Bridge should still have heavy dumbells unless they changed their policy.

Apollon Gym in edison definitely has heavier than 120's but they are a little banged up. They have ones that might be 160-165's and one of them is bent. Their 145's or 150's are pretty solid though, just keep in mind that all of the dumbells at apollon are marked incorrectly. They just added up the weight in plates and didn't count the handles so you need to add 7.5-10 lbs depending on the handle length.

rctriplefresh5
03-20-2009, 07:46 PM

Used to work at the Marlboro NYSC back in 2004 or 2005 and they definitely had 150's at that time, but they may have gotten rid of them. There is one big guy who might still be a trainer / manager there named Joe Spano, he would probably remember me. If you do find him ask about the other NYSC's or maybe just give them a call - Colonia or Old Bridge should still have heavy dumbells unless they changed their policy.

Apollon Gym in edison definitely has heavier than 120's but they are a little banged up. They have ones that might be 160-165's and one of them is bent. Their 145's or 150's are pretty solid though, just keep in mind that all of the dumbells at apollon are marked incorrectly. They just added up the weight in plates and didn't count the handles so you need to add 7.5-10 lbs depending on the handle length.

yah, well my friend said she couldnt get me into the gym today whjich really pissed me off something awful/. im pretty sure they dont have the 150s anymore though, and im kind of embarassed to ask, because im not nearly big enough to look like id use them. i mean right now my max is 120s but id like to have those 150s staring at me for some motivation since my goal is to bench press 315, and im sure that once i can press 150s ill be able to press 315. i was thinking of going to this gym with 120s and if i needed 130s id duct tape a 5 pound platye to the end of it. i dont know how safe that is, or if id get kicked the **** out for doing that. i also think that you have to join for a year, so if there gonna kick me out after 1 months time then im ****ed ha.

but yeah any gym id go to im kind of embarassed to say that 120s arent heavy enough for me or will not be soon because im 6'2 165(before anybody asks why the **** im so skinny, i just found out today that i have a pituitary brain tumor so im guessing thats been kind of holding me back., but iguess thats not a good excuse) and i guess im sort of like this kid..

uckedPfVMbg

rctriplefresh5
03-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Gym Name: Dolphin Fitness Club
Owner/Manager: Jeff Bodine
Address: 426 Raritan Street
City: Sayreville
State/Province/Country: NJ
Zip: 08859
Phone Number: 732-553-0500
Notes: In the basement of a shopping center, very dedicated staff. Amazing shake bar. Dumbbells up to 150 and plenty of 100lb plates.

hmmm

rctriplefresh5
03-20-2009, 10:29 PM

i noticed you said you had partners that lift at wow. is it like a team that lifts there? ive been looking for lifters to lift with. id join wow just to train with some good strong guys.

one rep under
03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
wow I didnt know so many people on the board were from central jersey. Haha i was looking at getting a job at the NYSC or WOW. There's a new golds that just opened up on 130 but i'm not sure about its dumbells.

Tom Mutaffis
03-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Dolphin fitness might be OK, for some reason I thought that they were down in Freehold but maybe there is another one in Sayreville. (The one in Freehold is on Route 9). Pretty sure that they had a couple of bodybuilder guys over there, there was one trucker guy who would always come in NYSC who I think trained at Dolphin - he'd set up squat 4 plates for a couple reps with jeans, workboots, knee wraps, and a big mullet. He made a lot of noise but was a cool guy the couple of times that I talked to him.

The Gold's on 130 in Plainsboro has been there for at least 2 years now and used to be a NYSC, so I don't know how good that one is. Knowning that NYSC's did have heavy dumbells maybe the Gold's kept them.

My old training partners who are over at WOW are not a "team" or anything but they do train together frequently. Would not be too hard to spot them - they are all between 210-255 lbs and a mix of powerlifters and strongmen. There is a guy who trains people at a gym next to Apollon and has some decent equipment it looks like - Zach Evan-Esh (look up strenth TV on youtube and he has a ton of videos).

I would generally want to be able to do 4-5 reps with one set of dumbells before looking for something heavier. That is great work being able to hit the 120's for a few at 6'2, 165 lbs... sorry to hear about the medical condition though.

When I did a lot of dumbell work my barbell press was about 30-40 lbs better than the combined dumbell weight for flat pressing, and about even on incline (so 100's for 10 on flat meant 240 x 10 and 100's x 10 on incline meant 200 x 10).

Finding a good gym can be a huge motivating factor and take your training to the next level. At any of those gyms mentioned in this thread there are serious lifters, and once you show them you are serious you may be able to find some good training partners...

mcdonough9395
03-25-2009, 04:24 PM
I would check that out but you can also go to Apollon Gym - I would recommend stopping by if you have never been there. It is a converted firehouse and they have some good equipment. I used to live in Old Bridge and it took me about 15 minutes to get there... route 9 to 287 north to exit 2A I believe (for route 27) and then you drive down right past the enteman's outlet make a right onto Talmadge road and the gym is about 1/2 mile down on your left directly across from Freightliner (a bunch of semi-trucks). Should be $8 for a day pass.

Thanks Tom. Im definitely going to check that place out and im pretty sure i know where that is i used to play baseball around there. I also just notice the other day when i was home that there putting up a new NYSC in East Brunswick right down the street from the Balleys.

one rep under
03-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Tom, there's a brand new Golds that went up just past the movie theatre on 130 I think its in Hightstown. I'll have to check out the other Golds.

rctriplefresh5
03-28-2009, 01:13 PM
wow I didnt know so many people on the board were from central jersey. Haha i was looking at getting a job at the NYSC or WOW. There's a new golds that just opened up on 130 but i'm not sure about its dumbells.
hahaah yeah man, i went to the nysc the other day and they had the big 150s....i used them for shrugs...i dream about the day i can press them ha. but the guy said they charge 75/month so im like **** that.

Dolphin fitness might be OK, for some reason I thought that they were down in Freehold but maybe there is another one in Sayreville. (The one in Freehold is on Route 9). Pretty sure that they had a couple of bodybuilder guys over there, there was one trucker guy who would always come in NYSC who I think trained at Dolphin - he'd set up squat 4 plates for a couple reps with jeans, workboots, knee wraps, and a big mullet. He made a lot of noise but was a cool guy the couple of times that I talked to him.

The Gold's on 130 in Plainsboro has been there for at least 2 years now and used to be a NYSC, so I don't know how good that one is. Knowning that NYSC's did have heavy dumbells maybe the Gold's kept them.

My old training partners who are over at WOW are not a "team" or anything but they do train together frequently. Would not be too hard to spot them - they are all between 210-255 lbs and a mix of powerlifters and strongmen. There is a guy who trains people at a gym next to Apollon and has some decent equipment it looks like - Zach Evan-Esh (look up strenth TV on youtube and he has a ton of videos).

I would generally want to be able to do 4-5 reps with one set of dumbells before looking for something heavier. That is great work being able to hit the 120's for a few at 6'2, 165 lbs... sorry to hear about the medical condition though.

When I did a lot of dumbell work my barbell press was about 30-40 lbs better than the combined dumbell weight for flat pressing, and about even on incline (so 100's for 10 on flat meant 240 x 10 and 100's x 10 on incline meant 200 x 10).

Finding a good gym can be a huge motivating factor and take your training to the next level. At any of those gyms mentioned in this thread there are serious lifters, and once you show them you are serious you may be able to find some good training partners...
thanks man, i try my hardest in the gym so its cool to hear someone tell me my progress is good ;) im not sure ive seen the dolphin fitness i nfreehold? i live right by freehold so that would be sweet. i called the dolphin fitness i nsayreville and they were disconnected so....ill definately check out that place you were talking about to buy equipment. only thing is, all 105-150 pound sets ive seen online ar eusuually 7 thousand dollars. all i need is a set of 105s-130s but i dont have 2k to throw down at this moment. plus ilike t odrop my dumbells at the end of the set since i go to toal failure a lot of times. theres a golds opening up in old bridge but they only go up to 125s and charge like 60/month. i think if icant find that freehold dolphin fitness im going to sign up for retro fitness. there dumbells go up to 120s but they only cost 400 . year(cheapest ic an find) im hoping that if i get 1209s for 5 soon they wont give me **** about duct taping 2.5s to the sides lol. it sucks because they make you pay anually, and iexpect 120s to feel like toys in one years time or else im doing something slightly wrong.

have any of you guys had success with haggling gym prices? if ic ant get the enrollment fee and processing fee cut off, id pay about 300/year which isnt so bad.