PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Help Needed (legs straitening to soon)

danmac
03-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Alright so my problem right now is when i deadlift heavy, usually singles, i end up straitening my legs way to early and strait leg deadlifting most of the lift.
I missed some pulls that i should have got today, and when i failed the weight was only like 3 inches off the ground and my knees were damn near locked out.

It's really frustrating me because i know what im doing wrong, but i dont know why i am doing it or how to correct it.

Any one have a similar problem? If i am doing multiple reps i find after my first pull i am sitting back more and driving with my legs properly. Its just the first one.

So yeah, any tips to solve this problem? Any muscle imbalances that could cause this? Or is it all in my head and i just need to concentrate on it?

(My squat is within 20 lbs of my deadlift, FYI)

rctriplefresh5
03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
deficit deadlifts might help

MarcusWild
03-17-2009, 03:44 PM
I think this is pretty common. Most people focus on pulling the weight up. You need to pull back too. One thing that helped me was doubling a band around the bottom and front of the power rack. You want the bar back far enough that the band is tight at the bottom. It'll teach you to pull back while deadlifting.

geoffsherman
03-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Sumo or conventional?

danmac
03-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Conventional.
I have never tried pulling sumo.

Travis Bell
03-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Try pulling sumo, ultra wide for a couple weeks. Work on strengthing your hips and glutes so you can engage them more.

BigTallOx
03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Any one have a similar problem?

Yes, I have a similar problem. I've found it a little easier to keep my hips down longer when I pull sumo ( but because I have inflexible hips, I don't go super wide. ) I've also found that looking slightly up keeps my upper body up which keeps my hips down.

Notorious
03-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Your starting position might be wrong. A lot of people start with their ass too low. Raise it until you feel a stretch in your hamstrings and then pull.

dynamo
03-18-2009, 05:50 AM
I focus on lifting with my ass first that generally keeps me straight.

EatMyWay2TheTop
03-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Getting the bar farther away from my shins helped me. I was starting with the bar touching my shins and now I place around above the middle of my feet. You may try to play around with that. Good luck

Dave Schwab
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Now that you have 10 different recommendations, let me add another to thoroughly confuse you. I have a similar thing going on, and to try to overcome it, I concentrate on squatting the bar off the floor for the lower half of the movement, and then pulling back with the upper body once the bar passes the knees. This ensures that the bar stays with the legs. When I think of only pulling the bar off the floor, my legs lock too early, which causes the bar to drift away as my upper body is still bent, increasing the range of the pull. I do pull sumo in competition though, but the same basic mindset should help with conventional in forcing you to use your legs. That doesn't mean you also don't have a muscular imbalance going on too, but getting the right mental cues will help.

jaminit
03-18-2009, 02:47 PM
This was a major thread on another forum recently. I started it because I was (still am) having difficulties dialing in the best starting position. The best piece of advice I got was from Al Caslow (700@181). He sent this video as back up. Basically, he was saying "pull your hips to the bar, not the bar to your shins. Then start the pull". Check out his video. You'll see he has a great leverage starting point and squats the bar up by squeezing everything OR as some say, "taking the slack out of the bar"
Hope this helps
Jamey

Well, just found out I cannot post the link. Look for Al Caslow (181) BIG IRON OPEN on You Tube

danmac
03-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Alright thanks for the tips everyone.

I will try pulling light after my bench day tomorrow just to get a feel for sumo.
Next week i will try...

Pulling sumo
deficits
Sitting back and concentrating on squatting the weight off the start
driving from my heels
pull my hips to the bar

Anything else?

danmac
03-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Tried sumo this week, feels pretty good and was geting some good hip drive... Until i switched to my deadlifting shoes. Then the same problem was happening.

So i put on my regular running shoes, and wammo, my lifts were back where they were supposed to be and i was getting good leg drive. I had recently switched to water socks (with the insoles removed) for deadlifting. A recommendation from this site i believe. And yeah i guess without the heal that my normal shoes had I wasnt able to drive. So i guess i will be pulling in my aasics for a bit haha, atleast until i get some squat shoes and try those.