PDA

View Full Version : Improving my Shot Put and Discus

Obsessivethrowa
03-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Hello :) Just joined the site and looking for some helpful advice

I'm 17, 165 lbs, and 5'10". I'm a junior in High school and this is my second year on the track team.

Right now my PRs are:
SP: 42' 10" (Although i've thrown upwards of 45' in practice *Grr*)
Discus: (As of last spring season) 115' 10"

My Goals for this spring season are:
SP: At least 45' (Consistently)
Discus: 145' (As of right now i'm throwing about 130 and today is my second day back throwing)

I'm easily the smallest thrower at my school, smaller than most of the freshmen even, and i'd love for that to not be the case anymore. :)

Right now (if i'm not lazy) i'm lifting 4 times a week with a schedule of:
Mon:Cleans + Core
Tues:Chest + Triceps
Wed:Rest
Thurs:Rest
Fri:Legs(Squats, Deadlifts, Calves) and shoulders
Sat:Back + Biceps
Sun:Rest

Currently i'm at:
Bench:135x8x3 (No clue what my max is)
Squats:225x10x3
Clean:115x10x3 (moving up to 135 tomorrow, 115 is way to easy)
Deadlift:135x10x3 Easy (Should I move up? And by how much?)

So my question to you all is a very general one: How can i increase the distance of my throws?
-I'm a spinner, and i know that technique is very important, I have fairly good technique but i could still work on it.
-My ultimate goals are to break the school record for discus (161'1") and hit 50' SP, needless to say i need to get MUCH BIGGER.

Whatever lifting advice (programs, websites, links, etc.) would be greatly appreciated

kingswoodlegend
03-18-2009, 05:05 AM
Hey man....haha finally another thrower on the forums!!!

Power exercises work well for the throwing sports man.
Power Cleans/ Jerks, Snatches, one arm dumbell snatch, Squats, Deadlifts but focus on speed upward with flawless technique, and ALOT of medecine ball work (these are easily the most underestimated exercises in our field but will add distance to your throws.)

In my offseason though my training changes to more bodybuilder style, trying to add as much muscle on for base and then in season trying to use that muscle to develop strength. There's a really good program i have been following the past few months stricly for size. It's called "maximum growth 8 week continuation program" by isatori. Give it a go, this plan comes complete with nutrition and training program stricly for building size.

Kenny Croxdale
03-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Hello :) Just joined the site and looking for some helpful advice

I'm 17, 165 lbs, and 5'10". I'm a junior in High school and this is my second year on the track team.

Right now my PRs are:
SP: 42' 10" (Although i've thrown upwards of 45' in practice *Grr*)
Discus: (As of last spring season) 115' 10"

My Goals for this spring season are:
SP: At least 45' (Consistently)
Discus: 145' (As of right now i'm throwing about 130 and today is my second day back throwing)

I'm easily the smallest thrower at my school, smaller than most of the freshmen even, and i'd love for that to not be the case anymore. :)

Right now (if i'm not lazy) i'm lifting 4 times a week with a schedule of:
Mon:Cleans + Core
Tues:Chest + Triceps
Wed:Rest
Thurs:Rest
Fri:Legs(Squats, Deadlifts, Calves) and shoulders
Sat:Back + Biceps
Sun:Rest

Currently i'm at:
Bench:135x8x3 (No clue what my max is)
Squats:225x10x3
Clean:115x10x3 (moving up to 135 tomorrow, 115 is way to easy)
Deadlift:135x10x3 Easy (Should I move up? And by how much?)

So my question to you all is a very general one: How can i increase the distance of my throws?
-I'm a spinner, and i know that technique is very important, I have fairly good technique but i could still work on it.
-My ultimate goals are to break the school record for discus (161'1") and hit 50' SP, needless to say i need to get MUCH BIGGER.

Whatever lifting advice (programs, websites, links, etc.) would be greatly appreciated

Obsessivethrowa,

Kingwood provide you good inforamation and exercises. Let me add to it.

Olympic movements are excellent at developing power output...and throwing is all about power. Research (Dr John Garhammer) shows that the power outputs develped by Olympic movements can be over 50 watts per kilo of body weight vs squats and deadlifts which produce up to 12 watts per kilo.

Research also shows that the power output of Shot Putters is approximately the same as Olympic Lifters. Movement Pattern Specificity Advantages of Using Pulling Movements [http://www.coachesinfo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=214:strength-movementpattern&catid=68:strength-generalarticles&Itemid=129]

However, the foundation of power and speed are built on strength. By increasing strength, you increase power. Thus, heavy squats, deadlifts and pressing movements along with power exercise should be part of your program.

Performing set of 10 repetitions for you exercises is for bodybuilding. For power and strength training set of 5 plus with repetitions of 1-5 need to be performed.

As Kingwood stated, his off season is bodybuilding...adding muscle. At 5'10"/165 lbs, you need to add some body weight.

Canthrow.com is a good site for throwers. Two article that I would recommend are:

1) Train Light, Throw Heavy
http://www.canthrow.com/articles/ltimplements.shtml

2) Training For Speed Strength
http://www.canthrow.com/articles/speed-training.shtml

Kenny Croxdale

ZenMonkey
03-18-2009, 04:25 PM
0DdADcMqAHk

Train like him. Id focus on Olympic movements and your basic squat, DL, presses and pulls

Edit: BTW, his Olympic movements (in the video) are with poor form.

Auburn
03-18-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm not a thrower, but Dan John has written tons for throwers in his newsletter:

www.danjohn.org

kingswoodlegend
03-19-2009, 03:44 AM
LOL Zen, i know this guy...his name's Damien....he's freaking strong man....he held a world record for pushing a car or something at one stage.

He's really strong on the weights but he has a problem converting all that strength into his throws....

...A thrower can mimic a weightlifter....but a weightlifter cannot be a thrower!

fuzzy123
03-19-2009, 06:01 AM
well beats me

CMAND21
03-25-2009, 12:27 PM
As a former thrower (mainly shot put, stunk with the discus) I always work on expolsive movement for my legs. I used the slide stip but things like box jumping with dumbells, cleans, full range squats, straight leg dead are great for the leg explosion.

I always trained with a heavier shot put than what was used in competition. In high school we used a 12 lbs ball but usually I thru a 16.

Stay low thru the spin, explode with the legs at release along with keeping your eyes/head up to give youself a little more height.

These things helped me to get 60'+ at your age.

Obsessivethrowa
03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
thanks a lot everyone, i'm working a lot more on explosive lifts (cleans, jerks, and snatches, box jumps, etc.) now, as well as trying for more of a full range of motion with my squats.

Hopefully it will pay off in the upcoming season, i'll be sure to let you guys know :)

ZenMonkey
03-25-2009, 04:42 PM
keep us updated! get a video if you can, Id love to see some throwing training!

Obsessivethrowa
03-31-2009, 06:04 PM
i'd love to be able to get some footage of my training in the next few weeks, so we'll see about that. My first meet of the season is tomorrow, my coach and I want me qualifying for states in shot and disc. so 44'6" for SP and 123'2" for Discus :) Wish me luck

bald bull
03-31-2009, 09:36 PM
good luck braw> I threw shot disc and 35lb weight in college> i did a lot of explosive movements box jumps, cleans, snatches,sprints etc> It would be nice to qualify tom and get it out of the way early so u can really let loose and work on certain form issues>

Obsessivethrowa
04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Well for whoever is still following this thread - I did qualify for states in last weeks meet, sorry it took me so long to post it up though, i've been very busy.

I threw 129' 2", i'm happy with that but i know i have a lot more feet on that. I hit above our 140' marker in practice yesterday, so i'm hoping for a throw like that on Tuesday, my next meet.

heathj
04-05-2009, 10:20 PM
why the hell would you max out on behind the neck press? strong mofo though.

Hazerboy
04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Make sure that you take into account that adding weight is all about calorie intake. It has nothing to do with your routine or what you're eating, only how much. If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough, period.

NOW, if you're just getting fat, and not putting on muscle, then either: A), you're diet absolutely sucks. Eat more protein. or B) you're not busting your ass hard enough in the gym, or C) Your routine sucks. Eat enough, and if you get fat (which I highly doubt that at your age and experience you will) figure out whether A, B, or C is broken.

With whatever routine you decide to choose, I would strongely advocate implementing overhead squats into your program. Read this article: www.danjohn.org/overhead.html , and then this one: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/295/ Good luck with your training man.

Sorry, first link is broken. Its copied on this site: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/overhead-squat-article-dan-john-466515/

Quick quote from the article: So, overhead squats became a staple in my athletic diet and coaching method. Pretty soon, other coaches began asking questions. “How can that skinny sophomore (Paul Northway weighed 155) throw the discus 182 feet?” I wanted to answer: “Brilliant coaching,” but Paul chimed in “overhead squats.” He explained that it “held him together throughout the throw.” Later, he would throw 214 as a senior.
Paul Northway as a Senior, during this workout he dropped ten throws over 190 feet. Another young man wanted to be a football player. He had no racks at home and his football coach wouldn’t let him lift free weights at school, I kid you not. So, he would Power Snatch the weight and do an Overhead Squat. Soon, he started rushing for over a hundred yards a game. In the off-season, away from his enlightened coaches who were having them lift five days a week on a bodybuilding program, he did what he called “The Exercise,” a power snatch followed by an overhead squat, usually in sets of five. He just finished his junior college career as the league’s leading rusher. He has been highly recruited and I hope he finds a University that allows him to lift in the school’s facilities rather than having to hide behind closed doors.

Just make sure you're doing them correctly. Ass to ground, hands out to the collars, arched back... etc.

Reko
04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Just make sure you're doing them correctly. Ass to ground, hands out to the collars, arched back... etc.

Good lord.

What is the deal with OH Squats? Are you/the coach so certain it is the end all be all of the gym portion of training? certainly there has to be something better than those?

I could see it incorporating stability but is it THAT necessary to put over other lifts?

Obsessivethrowa
04-06-2009, 07:03 PM
thanks for the advice, but i'm also a bit skeptical, as Reko pointed out: I'm sure they are helpful? But they can't be THAT helpful.

coachjburk
05-20-2009, 06:51 AM
overhead squats are great, we usually incorporate them into our warm-up, helps create stability, flexibility, every muscle is involved - I have an article somewhere on them I will look up (seems like it was a Dan John article)
Congrats on your great season
what days are your meets on?

BoAnderson71
05-25-2009, 11:17 AM
throwfarther.com gives you in season training templates, summer training templates, and other off season training templates. plus videos on all of the excersizes.