PDA

View Full Version : Metal Pro Briefs or alternative?

mike95763
03-17-2009, 07:30 PM
I am thinking about getting some Metal Pro Briefs but would like some feedback before I get them. I have never used any type of squatting equipment and I thought I would start there. What do people think about the Metal Pro Briefs? Are there any suggestions for other briefs that would potentially work better? Should I just skip the briefs and go right to a squat suit (I was thinking Titan Centurion)? As I said, I have only ever squatted raw. My stance is slightly wider than shoulder width, so pretty narrow. I am trying to move my feet out, but am limited by flexibility at this point and if I go too wide my hips end up hurting like crazy at depth. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks (some other briefs I looked at are Inzer Predators or the Metal Ace briefs)

MarcusWild
03-17-2009, 10:17 PM
What fed do you plan on competing in? How much do you squat raw?

Lones Green
03-18-2009, 03:29 AM
They are good briefs. Any reason you're wanting multi ply briefs and a single ply suit?

Sean Hatley
03-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Go with the Viking Pro Briefs. Great carry over. Or go with the Boss breifs, i have heard good things about those too. Once you get a pair of briefs you can go wider than raw stance and it should not hurt when you hit depth.

mike95763
03-18-2009, 10:07 AM
What fed do you plan on competing in? How much do you squat raw?

I will probably compete mostly in AAPF/APF since that is what is in my area (I might also compete in WABDL stuff occasionally). My best raw squat is 505 but I am sure I am good for a little more, I just haven't tried yet.

They are good briefs. Any reason you're wanting multi ply briefs and a single ply suit?

From what I have heard, multi ply suits take a lot more getting used to than briefs. I wanted to start out single ply for my squat suit for competitions, but I was planning on doing a fair bit of training in just briefs. I think I would be ok with something like the Metal Pro's. Like I said though I really don't know anything about briefs or squat suits. I only get to train with other powerlifters on my ME bench day and they are mostly bench only guys anyhow so I haven't gotten a chance to talk to anyone with a lot of experience about squatting/deadlifting equipment. Also, I might try competing in a few USPF meets -- Another reason for the single ply squat suit.

MarcusWild
03-18-2009, 11:03 AM
I think that's strong enough that you could go with a more aggressive brief than the pro. A lot of people like the vikings. I've never worn them. I've worn pro and ace. Ace are really think and a pain to wear under a suit. Recently, I switched to boss and like them the best. Part of that is being able to get them altered by Ken Anderson, so they fit right. Metal stuff is a pain to get altered which is something to consider. Off the shelf doesn't fit very many people.

Ben Moore
03-18-2009, 11:44 AM
The multiply suits dont take that much getting used to. If you're going to spend the money, get the viking briefs and a pro squatter. You'll be set for anything you want to do in the future. Then if you want just a single ply pair of briefs for training - grab some titan or inzer single ply.

Pete22
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
I think that's strong enough that you could go with a more aggressive brief than the pro. A lot of people like the vikings. I've never worn them. I've worn pro and ace. Ace are really think and a pain to wear under a suit. Recently, I switched to boss and like them the best. Part of that is being able to get them altered by Ken Anderson, so they fit right. Metal stuff is a pain to get altered which is something to consider. Off the shelf doesn't fit very many people.

Are Boss briefs a lot thinner than Ace Briefs? I remember Mark Bell talking about how the material isn't as thick as the Ace and it's easier to wear under a tight fitting suit.

MarcusWild
03-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, the boss are quite a bit thinner than ace. The issue with ace briefs is the seem at the bottom of the leg is THICK. It creates a sticking point for getting a suit on over them. Ace briefs work much better under a suit if you cut the legs just above that bottom seem. The boss briefs are still thinner overall though.

mike95763
03-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Reading everyones advice has made me think a little more about what I need to get equipment wise, and I would like to modify my question a little bit. Ideally I would like to do what Ben suggested and go all multi ply and then get some single ply gear as well for when I decide to compete in USPF (division 1) or WABDL stuff. However, since I can't afford that I was thinking I would get a single ply squat suit that I could squat/deadlift in for any single ply meets that I would do (I was leaning toward the Titan Centurion, but don't know much about it so would love suggestions). I would like to get some good multi ply briefs (leaning towards the Metal Pro or Viking briefs) that I could ware under the single ply squat suit for my AAPF/APF meets (I thought this would be the best I could do with limited resources). I will also be getting a single ply bench shirt to start out with (I was thinking a Titan Katana or F6). I have already had good advice on the bench shirt (although I am still open to suggestions), but like I said, I have little knowledge or advice as far as the squat suit or briefs go. I don't even know if I could ware Metal Pro briefs under a Centurion squat suit or if that wouldn't work (would the Boss briefs work better, or should I go with viking briefs and one of Metals IPF legal squat suits?). Thanks again for the advice so far. (I only have ~$500-600 to spend on everything so that also has to be a consideration)

MarcusWild
03-18-2009, 03:57 PM
If you can get 2-ply briefs on under a 1-ply squat suit, then that suit won't do jack for you by itself. It'd be way too loose. I'd pick 1-ply or 2-ply and just focus on it. For $500-600, you'd have to find used 2-ply gear to get everything.

SoreFoot8343
03-21-2009, 12:13 PM
I just got my metal pro briefs.. All I have say is Im in love with mine!! I swear by them :) and I have a narrow stance