PDA

View Full Version : Massage

Andre518
03-19-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm in the middle of a 10 week program and I'm thinking of going for a message at the end of the program. I was wondering if there any specific message's that are good for lifters. A friend of mine said that there sports message's you can get but I can not find any around here. Have any of you had any experience with message's?

Travis Bell
03-19-2009, 12:30 PM
I've had a sports massage done before. I went to a cheaper place and it was a waste of money. I'm pretty sure he'd never even seen a guy my size before and I came out feeling no different. If you do indeed do it, spend the money on a quality place

lil' power
03-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I treat myself to a deep tissue or some call it therapeutic massage about 4 days out from a meet date. The first one had, wasn't too painful but the toxins must have been released when I got up, I was so dizzy I had to hold the wall.

The next time I asked to concentrate on my traps/hips and she did a good job on my hips/glute area and at the meet I didn't have that tight feeling and made depth pretty easy. This one was kinda painful, especially around the lower back and IT bands, but no dizzy feelings...maybe I drank enough water that day...lol.

Guido
03-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah. I've had them done a week or so before a meet and it seems to help. Gotta get the deep tissue, but if you do be sure to drink plenty of water afterwards.

rbtrout
03-19-2009, 01:27 PM
I've got a friend that's a chiro. His office has a masseuse, as well. I got a deep tissue massage for free (my birthday), it was excellent. Drink lots of water afterwards, like Guido said.

Andre518
03-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys I'm gonna start pricing deep tissue massage's I drink between 1-2 gallons of water a day so Im not to worried about getting enough water that day. But what does the water do after the massage?

Mercuryblade
03-19-2009, 02:02 PM
http://www.massagetoday.com/archives/2002/12/08.html

The "releasing toxins" thing has really no hard science to back it up.

Massages feel awesome though, and anything that reduces stress is always good for your body.

Hazerboy
03-19-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.massagetoday.com/archives/2002/12/08.html

The "releasing toxins" thing has really no hard science to back it up.

Massages feel awesome though, and anything that reduces stress is always good for your body.

I always thought the toxins thing was sort of BS. That being said, I'm scheduling another deep tissue before my next meet XD XD.

I'm surprised this thread has lasted so long without a happy ending joke...

Ryano
03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm surprised this thread has lasted so long without a happy ending joke...
Best massage I ever had was in Bangkok back in '77. But lifting related, I got one after an APF meet in Chicago once. It felt good, but the "post meet" pain was still there the next day.

Sensei
03-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Look into massage therapists who have training in sports massage, deep tissue, myofascial release, *****su, etc. Great stuff - if I could justify the cost, I'd go every week.

It will tire you out a little. Don't train the rest of the day - give your body a break.

I wouldn't suggest experimenting with a new recovery method, like massage for the first time before a meet.

DrDudley-Robey
03-21-2009, 10:41 PM
The night before a meet after rehydrating from weigh-ins to help with cramps and flexability

J.C.
03-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Look into massage therapists who have training in sports massage, deep tissue, myofascial release, *****su, etc. Great stuff - if I could justify the cost, I'd go every week.

Huh, tough filter if its blocking out types of massage now!

I'm not a powerlifter but I've had a deep tissue massage before, back in my rowing crew days. It was awesome and totally worked.

I'd been rock climbing a few days before and had really strained my calves. We had a competition coming up so my coach got me a massage from a decent strength coach/massage therapist on my legs. If its done properly it won't be comfortable. I remember him working down my calf muscle going "does this hurt?" "No", "how about now?", "A little", "Now?" "AHHHHhhh!" Its known as DEEP tissue massage for a reason. He made me keep breathing deeply and the pain went away quite quickly. The whole area felt so warm afterwards because so much blood had pumped in. I felt noticeably less sore and tight the next few days.