PDA

View Full Version : 335 Raw Bench @ 197 lbs

danmac
03-19-2009, 03:34 PM
DmE3yg2Mh8w

Nothing to write home about, but I happened to be with some guys who had a camera at the gym today.

It wasn't a new PR, I missed 345 shortly after this which would have been.

Any tips, suggests and comments are appreciated!

Edit: Just realized i should have posted this in the Member pics and videos section, A moderator might want to move it there. Sorry!

Travis Bell
03-19-2009, 03:41 PM
It's fine. PL discussions on videos often turn into really beneficial threads given the technique that is often involved in powerlifting

What did your set and rep scheme go like before this set?

I'd have probably skipped 335 and gone right to your PR

banger
03-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Nice job! You are on par w/ me. I tried 340 the other day and got crushed (I was sick the day before that, but that's no excuse)!

Kim

danmac
03-19-2009, 03:56 PM
It's fine. PL discussions on videos often turn into really beneficial threads given the technique that is often involved in powerlifting

What did your set and rep scheme go like before this set?

I'd have probably skipped 335 and gone right to your PR

Before this I did a light warm up. 225x3, 275x3, 315x1 then this.

I should have stuck to a few singles at 335, since i wasnt really trying to hit a PR i was just doing singles today. But since the camera was there i wanted to show off a bit.

It's all in my journal too if you want to see how im training right now, I am new to powerlifting and am following advice from some other older powerlifters. Not really sure if I am maximizing my training.

danmac
03-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Nice job! You are on par w/ me. I tried 340 the other day and got crushed (I was sick the day before that, but that's no excuse)!

Kim

Thanks.
Yeah the 345 didnt go well at all for me. I found i was dropping to slow on the 335 so i tired to drop it faster on the next one, Ended up losing my tightness and bouncing it. Got it a few inches up and as soon as it lost momentum it went right back down.

evilxxx
03-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Nice lift! curious to know what Travis asked about your reps and weight before that one...also have you tried tucking more the elbows? I usually bench better raw that way, not everyone might be the same but just something to try since we are about the same weight and your set up is almost identical to mine, but I think you might be taller cause my ROM is shorter.

Ryano
03-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Looked like pretty good form to me. Just work from the point you failed on the 345. If 345 failed at thte chest, maybe tuck a little more to get more back/lats involved. If it failed higher, work from just below that point w/brds. Looks good though.

danmac
03-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Nice lift! curious to know what Travis asked about your reps and weight before that one...also have you tried tucking more the elbows? I usually bench better raw that way, not everyone might be the same but just something to try since we are about the same weight and your set up is almost identical to mine, but I think you might be taller cause my ROM is shorter.

I try to tuck, but not actively when doing heavier weights. How would i work on that? I think i would be strong with elbows down, my close grip/ reverse grip bench is pretty close to my normal.

And i am about 5'9... on a good day... in shoes.

danmac
03-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Looked like pretty good form to me. Just work from the point you failed on the 345. If 345 failed at thte chest, maybe tuck a little more to get more back/lats involved. If it failed higher, work from just below that point w/brds. Looks good though.

Like i said, i failed right off the chest, only like an inch up. Weird because my normal failure point was always about half way, maybe the board pressing is helping haha.

Ryano
03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Like i said, i failed right off the chest, only like an inch up. Weird because my normal failure point was always about half way, maybe the board pressing is helping haha.
Try tucking the elbows just a little more and push harder.LOL Or go to the Westside seminar.

Travis Bell
03-19-2009, 04:25 PM
LOL Or go to the Westside seminar.

boy you really can't let that Westside seminar thing go can you

Ryano
03-19-2009, 04:27 PM
boy you really can't let that Westside seminar thing go can youChill man, I'm promoting it. Danmac is just the kind of guy that would benefit most from it. I didn't mean anything disrespectful at all.

danmac
03-19-2009, 04:31 PM
I would absolutely love to go to something like that. It's a little far for me though, up here in Canada.

So just concentrate on keeping the elbows in? I will give it some work at lighter weights where i can actually think about these kind of things.

Ryano
03-19-2009, 04:35 PM
So just concentrate on keeping the elbows in? I will give it some work at lighter weights where i can actually think about these kind of things.

Just tuck a little more at the bottom and lockout with your elbows out. Tucking will help get your back more involved right off the chest. It might be odd at first, but give it a try. You're right, use lighter weights at first to get used to it. Good luck.

Big o Boy
03-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Nice. I'm about at the same spot (340 raw). Your decent is way better than mine. I take way too long. If I were you I might try bringing my legs back further to try to get a harder arch, but everything else looked good to me.

danmac
03-19-2009, 05:09 PM
That makes sense that bringing my elbows in will allow my lats to help push out of the bottom, I dont feel i use them very much at all now so i will definitely try to bring my elbows in.

So the descent speed looks ok? In the video it actually doesn't look to bad, but when i was doing it i remember thinking that im taking too long.

Also any one have any recommendations for a slippery bench? I covered the thing in chalk but i still find it difficult getting set up because i slip.

mike95763
03-19-2009, 05:49 PM
If your bench is too slippery you can put something thin down on the part where you place your shoulders. One guy I worked out with used a mouse pad. I have used the little rubber things you put in drawers to keep the dishes from sliding around.

bill
03-19-2009, 06:39 PM
One thing I can would play around with is bringing the bar a little lower and then pushing it back toward your eyes. Becareful trying that though. Maybe make sure Ryano or Travis say it's a good idea or tech

Travis Bell
03-19-2009, 06:52 PM
That's a better idea for shirted benching. He's touching about right for raw benching.

Actually his set up was just about right and then right before he takes it out, he moves around and that's when his shoulder blades come apart and he loses position

evilxxx
03-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Just tuck a little more at the bottom and lockout with your elbows out. Tucking will help get your back more involved right off the chest. It might be odd at first, but give it a try. You're right, use lighter weights at first to get used to it. Good luck.

Yes! get use to it with lighter weights, I do it different every workout, sometimes I tuck hard and stay that way and sometimes I tuck hard and flare out halfway up. Same with my pin lockouts, sometimes I do wide with the elbows out and sometimes close with the elbows tucked.I always touch on the same spot I used to with the shirt too (maybe an inch higher)

chris mason
03-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Good work!

Take Travis' advice. He is an excellent bench coach in my opinion.

Hey, give my Up Your Bench routine a go as well. I bet I could have you at 355-65 lbs at the end.

roots
03-20-2009, 10:59 PM
solid lift. the guy spotting you did a great job also

Phillip Wylie
03-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Nice benching.

mikesbench
03-21-2009, 06:03 PM
I'd work on getting a tighter setup with a good arch, but the slippery bench can make that difficult. Stickum works great if you spray a little on the bench, but some gyms wouldn't be too happy about you using it. I actually saw a shirt on e-bay that has some kind of rubber on the back to help keep you from sliding, that might be worth a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BenchPress-Powerlifting-T-Shirt-w-NON-SLIP-NEW_W0QQitemZ320350732428QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Men_s_Athletic_Apparel?hash=item320350732428&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

danmac
03-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Good work!

Take Travis' advice. He is an excellent bench coach in my opinion.

Hey, give my Up Your Bench routine a go as well. I bet I could have you at 355-65 lbs at the end.

Thanks! I read up on the bench routine, and I want to try it. But I also want my other lifts to move too, as I will be competing in all three lifts in July. Maybe I still have enough time before then to do a month working on a bench specific program. I'll put it in my journal if and when i start, 365 would be nice.

Brian Hopper
03-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Nice lift!!!