PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious - Gyms in SC? (Charleston Area)

BigTallOx
03-19-2009, 04:57 PM
As I've posted here before, I was laid off from my job almost a month ago. It seems that lately there aren't that many jobs in my field where I currently live ( Salt Lake City area ). However today, one of my previous employers called me saying they have 3 positions open for which I'm a really good fit. This company is in Charleston, SC where I used to live ( and grew up not too far from there ), but back then I wasn't into powerlifting. So, I'm just curious if anybody knows if there's any good powerlifting gyms or groups of guys to train with near or around Charleston, SC. ( I'm willing to give up my skiing but no way to powerlifting! ).

Thanks.

Lones Green
03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Charleston is a cool city.

The poster HomeYield used to lift in his garage in Charleston, but now I believe he has his own gym complete with a monorack. He posted about it not too long ago.

I think he still visits here every now and then. PM him.

There are a lot of gyms in South Carolina.

Rusty
03-19-2009, 05:10 PM
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

BigTallOx
03-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks lonesXedge, I'll PM HomeYield if it looks like any of these jobs is going to turn into a job offer.

Just curious, do you know of any of the "lots of gyms in South Carolina" are in the Charleston area? ( I know there's one in Columbia, but that's 90 minutes away. )

BigTallOx
03-19-2009, 05:12 PM
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

I was hoping for more personal information than just a list of gyms. Just because they show up on the list doesn't mean all that much.

mike95763
03-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Hopefully your interview on Friday goes well and you don't have to worry about it. We would miss you at Ripped Fitness.

BigTallOx
03-19-2009, 06:39 PM
We would miss you at Ripped Fitness.

Thanks Mike. I'd miss everybody at Ripped too ( along with others ). Yes, hopefully my interview tomorrow will turn into an offer, but I'm pretty sure that my previous employer, if they decide to extend an offer, will offer me quite a bit more money ( but time will tell ). I really don't want to move, but at the same time, I think chances are I'll have to.

fulldaddy
03-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Best of luck to you BTO.

evilxxx
03-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Pretty sure there is a Gold's gym in Charleston,SC

Rusty
03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
I was hoping for more personal information than just a list of gyms. Just because they show up on the list doesn't mean all that much.

Go to google maps and find the ones within reasonable driving range. Then stop by and check it out. Really not that difficult.

Brian Hopper
03-19-2009, 10:07 PM
I think Donnie Thompsan is from South Carolina, just not sure what part.

BigTallOx
03-20-2009, 03:36 AM
Go to google maps and find the ones within reasonable driving range. Then stop by and check it out. Really not that difficult.

You must not understand the nature of my post. I currently live in Utah ( so I can't just stop by and check it out ), and if there's not a good powerlifting gym around and/or a group of people to train with, I'm not going to take the job.

Rusty
03-20-2009, 06:28 AM
You must not understand the nature of my post. I currently live in Utah ( so I can't just stop by and check it out ), and if there's not a good powerlifting gym around and/or a group of people to train with, I'm not going to take the job.

Sorry, I figured you were taking the job, and could run around when you got down there. I'm sure there's a decent gym somewhere around Charleston.

Tom Mutaffis
03-20-2009, 07:53 AM
I live in Charlotte, NC but a couple of the people who train with us are stationed down near Charleston. There is a local gym there with some powerlifting friendly stuff I believe - but other than that the only true "powerlifting gym" that I know of would be SC Barbell in Columbia. They literally have everything that you could ever want or need, various bars, huge power rack, chains / bands / monolift, all kinds of stuff for accessory training including a glute ham raise, and strongman equipment as well. I have driven over an hour to train there as well.

Donnie Thompson is somewhere in SC, I am sure that he will chime in at some point if he sees this post. I will edit the headline of this thread to include more info.

If I see any of the Charleston people this weekend will ask them about the local gym scene down there for you as well...

BigTallOx
03-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I live in Charlotte, NC but a couple of the people who train with us are stationed down near Charleston. There is a local gym there with some powerlifting friendly stuff I believe - but other than that the only true "powerlifting gym" that I know of would be SC Barbell in Columbia. They literally have everything that you could ever want or need, various bars, huge power rack, chains / bands / monolift, all kinds of stuff for accessory training including a glute ham raise, and strongman equipment as well. I have driven over an hour to train there as well.

Donnie Thompson is somewhere in SC, I am sure that he will chime in at some point if he sees this post. I will edit the headline of this thread to include more info.

If I see any of the Charleston people this weekend will ask them about the local gym scene down there for you as well...

Thanks Tom, that's what I was looking for. I guess driving up to Columbia once a week or so to train with knowledgeable people would be an option. ( I still have family in Columbia too )

Thanks.

Travis Bell
03-20-2009, 09:56 PM

That'd be Marc Bartley's gym. He's a very highly accomplished lifter

Donnie Thompson is somewhere in SC, I am sure that he will chime in at some point if he sees this post. I will edit the headline of this thread to include more info

Donnie doesn't post here, but I know he planned on closing The Compound after his retirement.

Travis Bell
03-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Well I talked to Donnie today and as it turns out the Compound is still alive and well shall be for awhile.

He's not looking for training partners though.

I will have a new training video of him soon

Tempered
04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Definitely PM Homeyield. He posted his mono rack setup a few months ago and I believe he might have an informal garage gym.

Here is the thread (http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121024)

Borris used to train out of East Shore Athletic Club before he moved back to Maine. I don't think there are many (any?) hardcore powerlifters at that gym though.

Sorry, I can't give you more info. Good luck with the job hunt.

BigTallOx
04-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks Tempered and everybody else. It looks like I'm not going to have to move, today a company here in Utah said they are going to extend a job offer to me. I hope to have to offer tomorrow. It looks like a great company and job, I'm really excited.