PDA

View Full Version : Woot! New PR tonight - 485 2 board

jmccown
03-19-2009, 06:46 PM
My lifts are really taking off since I've been doing these board presses. I also have a good lifting partner now who is pushing me as well. Every week over the last 4 weeks I have made HUGE gains (drug free of course). I started out 445 2 board, then 450 2 board, last week I hit 465 2 board and tonight I hit a whopping 485lb 2 board. I can almost taste a 500lb 2 board. I have been lifting for about 15 years now and never heard of lifting with boards till I came to WBB, so wanted to give a thanks to all of you guys for opening up new doors for me in this awesome sport. I also think the boards are helping me with my bench technique - tucking elbows, driving with legs, etc. I had to tell someone about my PR, I came home telling my wife about it and she's like "BIG DEAL - take out the garbage".

Ryano
03-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Don't get used to it. Board presses are good for some things, but really bad for others. Make sure you do plenty of full range presses. Board presses will get you used to "targeting" the board and getting you out of the proper groove for full range. Good for overloading the lockout, bad for bottom end, full range.

Travis Bell
03-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Good stuff man!

I actually found raw 2brd to have the biggest carryover to my full range shirted bench. You just have to touch low enough on the boards that it'd be directly over the spot where you'd touch full range and you're good to go.

LOL at your wife though

jmccown
03-19-2009, 07:36 PM
I still do my normal range after I hit ME work on my boards. All of my lifts are going up great lately. Oh, and still at 235bw. I like the 2 boards, if I go to a 3 board it feels like I just barely have to bend my elbows before it hits the boards. The 2 board gives a better range, while still getting most of the weight.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
03-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Congratulations!!!

Fighter_15
03-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Have you been doing 2 board for your ME Bench every week for the past 4 weeks?

jmccown
03-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Yes. I train chest 2x per week. Monday I do ME work with boards with some hyper sets after. Thursday I do DE with bands and some dumbbell work.

Travis Bell
03-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Ah, I see, if you've been doing 2brd EVERY week, that's a bad idea and honestly, isn't going to transfer over to your full range press.

switch to a full range bench with bands this week for your ME exercise. It'd be a better plan next time to switch up every week.

Fighter_15
03-23-2009, 02:48 PM
In the westside book it says if you train using an exercise at 90% or more for longer than 3 weeks you will regress or plateau. So then doing an ME exercise such as bench with 2 boards for up to 3 weeks in a row should be fine then as long as you switch the exercise after the 3rd week?