PDA

View Full Version : Will Wraps hamper My Progress?

Andre518
03-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Ok so my deadlifts and bench have been on a steady increase but when it comes to my squats its been up and down from workout to workout. When I was in high school I tore my ACL. I had surgery on it but once I get up into the heavy squats I get nervous and always think my knee is gonna give out so it really mess with me mentally. It also interference with other standing lifts like hanging cleans, good mornings, and sometimes heavy deadlifts. Well today I used a pair of Harbinger knee wraps I got for x-mas and I notice a big difference it took me a few lift to get use to but after that I was good and I did not worry about my knee. I was wondering would working out with knee wraps all the time have a negative effect on my progress? I also found out that my hamstrings and glutes are really lacking in strength due to the fact I have been using to narrow of a stance. I was just reading that stronger hamstrings equate to stronger knee joints can any one explain why? Sorry for such as long post. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help answer any of my questions.

johnnyo_99
03-20-2009, 09:57 AM
I would say that with your injury history, lifting WITHOUT knee wraps will hamper your progress more. no shame in providing support for your knees if needed.

drew
03-20-2009, 10:02 AM
If your only reason for using wraps is because you're scared to lift heavy without them, then use them on the heaviest sets only. You'll need to still work with somewhat heavy weight without wraps in order to keep the tendons and ligaments in your knee getting stronger.

MarcusWild
03-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Why not get a good knee sleeve? APT makes double-ply convict ones. It's a lot easier than having to wrap your knee all the time.

Andre518
03-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I was looking at APT sleeves before but someone told me I would be better off using wraps. I will give them a try.

evilxxx
03-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I think if I had a knee problem I would use sleeves on weight I could only do 3-5 reps, nothing on 6-10 reps and wraps on Max or doubles.

BFGUITAR
03-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I have tendinits in my right knee and I walways wear wraps. I wear them VERY loose for light sets until I reach 3 plates when I tighten them. Before that I have them on for support. Nothing wrong with some support.

MarcusWild
03-20-2009, 12:43 PM
My training partner has torn his meniscus twice on one side and once on the other side. He wears the 2-ply convict knee sleeves and doesn't have any issues. He squats pretty wide and has been deadlifting sumo lately.

Andre518
03-20-2009, 12:56 PM
My training partner has torn his meniscus twice on one side and once on the other side. He wears the 2-ply convict knee sleeves and doesn't have any issues. He squats pretty wide and has been deadlifting sumo lately.

Nice Im gonna have to get some sleeves. Two question about your partner does he squat heavy and does he wear his sleeves for all his squatting lifts? Thanks for the input.

MarcusWild
03-20-2009, 02:56 PM
He always wears them in training. At meets, he wears knee wraps since it's about max performance. He's squatted 710 @275 in a USPF meet.