PDA

View Full Version : How to stimulate an appetite?

KezR34
03-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey guys,

I've been working out on and off for several years now, without seeing any major gains. I'll visit them gym regularly, I don't slack off, I push myself, and I squat.

My main problem is I don't eat enough. I'll try, I'll set alarms, force myself when I'm not hungry, prepare meals the day before, but I still struggle to gain weight.

Recently I've begun working out with a new partner, he's mainly a mesomorph, and clueless in the gym. However, since working out with me he has literally stacked the weight on. He walks out of the gym starving, but I never have an appetite. I still eat, but it's a chore.

There are days when I'll be busy and lose track of time. Next thing I know it's been 8+ hours since I last ate, and I'm still not feeling overly hungry.

I'm kinda desperate here, does anyone have any advice on how to keep my intake up? How to increase my appetite?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Kieran.

kingswoodlegend
03-20-2009, 10:53 PM
haha i wish i had that problem.....i'm always eating

umm, i remember when i first started training though...eating every 2 hours was crazy and i would never feel hungry and it would be kinda annyoing to eat. That lasted about 6 weeks....and then i couldnt get enough of food....i'd be hungry every two hours or so...

just stick to it and the hunger will come :)

Notorious
03-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Liquid calories - milk, olive oil, heavy whipping cream, and homemade shakes.

Mercuryblade
03-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Start making some really calorie dense meals. Buy a gallon of peanut oil and a deep fryer.
Buy 80-20 ground beef, use bacon (without nitrates), there are lots of ways to pack the calories in.
One of my favorites is a big glass of whole chocolate milk.

thompo
03-21-2009, 06:39 AM
smoke weed? :D

Sensei
03-21-2009, 06:52 AM
Read this - The Big Boy's Menu Plan: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78823

b1982
03-22-2009, 04:02 PM

hah, as comical as this might sound on a bodybuilding forum, it really does work. Especially for someone like me afflicted w/ Crohn's disease, which has a tendency to rob me of my appetite. But hit up the bong before dinner, and I can easily devour a nice steak dinner, no problems.

The only problem with this is, it might make you too hungry. Munchies are no good if you're trying to eat healthy, because you end up just eating anything and everything within grasp

liftingislife
03-22-2009, 06:28 PM
When I'm too full to eat, I just drink. Protein shakes mostly.

- Greg Lumis :) http://smileyiconz.com/funnysmileygif2.jpg

hellagrant
03-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Drinking a meal is always much easy than eating a real meal. No matter how full I am, I can always down a protein shake.

Other than that, all I have to say is man up. It can be quite uncomfortable eating enough calories to gain mass but you got to do what a man got to do.

whiteman90909
03-22-2009, 09:32 PM
If I cram in a big breakfast, it makes me feel hungrier throughout the day and I'll eat more. Maybe it stimulates my metabolism early or stretches out my stomach or its just mental--idk-- but it really helps me.

malkore
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM

cue the video of Arnold and Lou toking up in Pumping Iron :)

drew
03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
1) Start lifting on more than off.
2) Just eat more. It may be more work for you than for some, so it will be harder. Just do it.

Whuditdew
03-23-2009, 06:16 PM
If you are lifting hard and not growing because you are not hungry their is something wrong with you medically. That is just not natural. Ask your doctor about it.

Notorious
03-23-2009, 08:35 PM
If you are lifting hard and not growing because you are not hungry their is something wrong with you medically. That is just not natural. Ask your doctor about it.

What?

This is just not true at all.

ZenMonkey
03-23-2009, 08:39 PM
2) Just eat more. It may be more work for you than for some, so it will be harder. Just do it.

Agreed. Simply yet perfectly put.

Emphasis on #1 is key. It sounds like your metabolism is in the trash can and you need to simply start eating more. Id recommend going on an eating binge for a few days then begin your diet (be that bulking ,cutting or maintaince or whatever)

Den Fisher
03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Are you taking anything with caffeine? (coffee, soda, energy drinks)

And are you on any drugs, like anti-depressents? If not, then this is something you'll just gradually have to commit yourself to doing. As said before, liquid calories would be the easiest in your case for packing on extra calories.

Bennuendo
03-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Sometimes it's easier to intake "food" in liquid form.. meal replacement shakes, fruit juice, protein shakes and so on. But I agree you'll usually get hungrier whenever you've worked your body harder.

Xellarz
03-23-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't really get the whole complaining about not being hungry. I've heard tons of people say it, but I just don't get it. Do you really only wanna eat when you're hungry? How about eating when you're not full? Are you full all of the time? If not, then if you want to eat every 2.5 hours or whatever...what's the problem? If you're not full, you can eat. Who cares if you're not hungry...

The medicine I started taking like 2 months ago makes me NEVER hungry...but I have literally found NO problem with it. I just eat when I'm supposed to...and it's not a problem because I'm not full when I'm supposed to eat.

As for getting your intake up, umm...like they've said - liquid calories, milk, olive oil, peanut butter, almond butter, etc. Also, what's your workout nutrition like? Don't be one of those people who lifts and drinks nothing...don't even be one of the ones that drinks water. You should be getting carbohydrates while you lift. And how about post-workout? Do you get your protein AND carbohydrates? These are very easy calories to get in...but more importantly, they're the ones that will help you grow the most.

Detard
03-24-2009, 11:56 AM
One thing that helps me when i'm on a bulk, is to have breakfast. Fruit in the morning, will make your appetite go crazy for the whole day. Have a shake with some yogurt, bananas, and strawberries, milk, and protein to get you going.

Reko
03-24-2009, 12:52 PM
This:

and this:
One thing that helps me when i'm on a bulk, is to have breakfast. Fruit in the morning, will make your appetite go crazy for the whole day. Have a shake with some yogurt, bananas, and strawberries, milk, and protein to get you going.

Whuditdew
03-24-2009, 03:27 PM
What?

This is just not true at all.

Sure it is. If your body is worked hard it will ask for nutrients and energy. If that is not happening either something is wrong with your body or you are not working hard.

OXplode
03-24-2009, 05:59 PM
dont brush your teeth before breakfast. That is my little contribution as im not going to repeat what others have said, which all seems to be the right way to go. I say dont brush your teeth because mint flavor is an appetite suppressant. I dont know about you but it sure as hell puts me off eating for a good couple hours.

KezR34
03-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I started that "15 pounds in one month routine" and I actually do feel hungrier more often.

With regards to protein shakes is there such thing as too much? I'm increasing all my meal sizes by about a third, and trying to snack more, but I'm also taking 2-3 rather large protein shakes a day.

One in the morning after breakfast, cause I still lack the appetite in the morning for a big breakfast.

One after a workout (is it good to take one before too?)

And one before I sleep.

For the record, my shakes have an almost 50:50 ratio of protein and carbs.

Thanks again.

Iqbal
03-26-2009, 05:10 AM
Reference topics. Browse: Unanswered questions | Most-recent questions .....
Nobunaga compensated for the arquebus' slow reloading time by arranging the ...
Together with him died his young page, Mori Ranmaru, who had served him ...
policies as a way to stimulate business and the overall economy through the use
of ...

drew
03-26-2009, 06:23 AM
Kez, no such thing as too much when you're trying to gain.

And lol at unsuccessful spambot.

MadScientist
03-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Eat every even hour, on the hour.
I eat at 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, 10pm, 12am.
I eat around 500 cals per meal, 8 times a day, roughly 4000 calories.
Most of the time I am so full of fluid and food that I feel sick.

No one said it was going to be easy. And if it was easy, everyone would have great bodies and be huge, and it wouldnt be anything special then.

I'm glad its tough, hard, and takes forever, it makes every victory that much sweeter.