PDA

View Full Version : Maitenence Calories

rhymenocerous
03-21-2009, 10:56 PM
So ive been bulking for about 4 months and have put on alot of strength and a little under 20 pounds. In about 2 or 3 more weeks I want to try to cut down to lower bf% for aesthetic reasons.

From what I've gathered in talking to people, the way to go about this is to figure out what your maitenence calories should be and then gradually subtract from them. My question is what formula do I use to figure out what my maintenence calories should be and also how do i go about figuring out what my macros should be?

For the last 2 months Ive been tracking between 4,000 to 4,5000 cals a day and I really am tired of eating that much.

I weigh 210 right now and am idealy looking to get back down to the 180-190 range, if that helps.

I know this probably a ridiciously broad question but ive never had to cut before considering when i was in high school i was so active in sports my bf% was always in good shape, and now that is not the case, and i want do it right. any advice or pointing towards information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks alot.

VikingWarlord
03-21-2009, 11:18 PM
My question is what formula do I use to figure out what my maintenence calories should be

None. Formulas are worse than useless. The only way to accurately figure maintenance is to pick a point you think it might be, eat at that level, and track it. If you lose, you're below maintenance. If you gain, you're above maintenance. If you stay where you are, you found it.

how do i go about figuring out what my macros should be?

It depends on how you want to do it. You have many choices and each plan has different requirements. You will need to do a lot more reading to figure it out. Generally, you need to be below maintenance and get enough protein but to be more specific, it helps to know what your composition is right now.

You will **** up since it's your first real cut. You can minimize the damage but since you don't yet know what to expect, it will not go the way you expect it to. Accept that and move on.

rhymenocerous
03-22-2009, 06:44 PM
i see. so how would a sample day like this look?

10 A.m. 3 poached eggs (whole), 1 scoop whey in water

1 P.m.- 1 Turkey Burger, Cheese, 2 slices Bacon, Tomato, Mustard, Lettuce instead of bun

5 P.m.-1 6 oz. chicken breast, 2 cups raw celery

7 p.m- workout

8 p.m.- 1 scoop whey in water

9 p.m- 1 6 oz. chicken breast

11 p.m.- 1 tablespoon peanutbutter

Calories- 1,541
Fat- 73.5 g
Carbs- 20 g
Protein- 204.7 g

VikingWarlord
03-22-2009, 07:20 PM
It looks unsustainable for any significant period of time. You really think you're going to drop to about 1/3 of what you've been taking in and be fine with that? You also think you're really going to be eating so little at any one time? ****, after your workout you're looking at 3 "meals" each averaging less than 150kCal. That's a fun example of why believing that a more frequent meal schedule is always better is just stupid.

As for the diet itself, there's too much saturated fat. You can't sustain a carbohydrate level that low for long. You'll need refeeds every so often although you'll burn yourself out before you get too far into that diet.

Honestly, you really need to spend some more time reading here.

robroy
03-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Here`s a way to count ur calories - just use the qwave system, a very easy-to-use app. You will be able to calculate calories consumed and track details on over 70 nutrients. And also you can create a set of meal templates for ur most common meals. More info on qwave.com

smalls
03-24-2009, 10:20 AM
It looks unsustainable for any significant period of time. You really think you're going to drop to about 1/3 of what you've been taking in and be fine with that? You also think you're really going to be eating so little at any one time? ****, after your workout you're looking at 3 "meals" each averaging less than 150kCal. That's a fun example of why believing that a more frequent meal schedule is always better is just stupid.

As for the diet itself, there's too much saturated fat. You can't sustain a carbohydrate level that low for long. You'll need refeeds every so often although you'll burn yourself out before you get too far into that diet.

Honestly, you really need to spend some more time reading here.

Agreed, good points around.

You need a ton more fiber, try to get some at every meal, meaning tons of veggies, which IMO, are the key to successfull dieting and digestive issues. There is no need to go straight to 1500 calories. Your eating over 4000 now, try 3000 for a week then 2700, see what happens and continue to drop, slowly as needed. Keep reading.

When in doubt, chicken, veggies and fish oil.