PDA

View Full Version : Vit D piosoning

mds_79
04-11-2002, 08:34 AM
At what level does vitamin D become toxic?

body
04-11-2002, 02:40 PM
vitamin D toxicty

it has a lot to do with how much caluim you intake as well. both work together.
you could take loads of vitamin D but if low clacuim its no problem.

what colour skin are you? Do you go outside in the summer(depending on where you live)? do you cover up on warm days?
remember sunlight converts a type chemical on your skin into vitamin D. if you really stuck i could get a text book from under my bed. but its a long word so can not remember its full title.

mds_79
04-11-2002, 10:08 PM
I recently started taking cod liver oil and with summer coming along I don't want to run the risk of poisoning myself. Plus my multi-v contains vit D as well.
Should I be worried? Or am I just being paranoid.

what colour skin are you?
pinkish, fleshy type colour

Do you go outside in the summer?
yes, sometimes

do you cover up on warm days?
I usually wear clothes (t-shirt and pants or shorts) and almost always wear underwear, umm I mean suntan lotion.

Mystic Eric
04-11-2002, 11:56 PM
Vitamin D

Vitamin D and vitamin A are the most toxic of the fat-soluble vitamins. The symptoms of vitamin D toxicity are nausea, vomiting, pain in the joints, and loss of appetite. The patient may experience constipation alternating with diarrhea , or have tingling sensations in the mouth. The toxic dose of vitamin D depends on its frequency. In infants, a single dose of 15 mg or greater may be toxic, but it is also the case that daily doses of 1.0 mg over a prolonged period may be toxic. In adults, a daily dose of 1.0 to 2.0 mg of vitamin D is toxic when consumed for a prolonged period. A single dose of about 50 mg or greater is toxic for adults. The immediate effect of an overdose of vitamin D is abdominal cramps, nausea and vomiting. Toxic doses of vitamin D taken over a prolonged period of time result in irreversible deposits of calcium crystals in the soft tissues of the body that may damage the heart, lungs, and kidneys.

(taken from: http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/topic100587667_

mds_79
04-13-2002, 06:20 AM
thanks for the info

body
04-14-2002, 10:21 AM
mds - I douubt you need to supp with it as your skin type and lifestyle will provide you with adequate vit D. your like me and I think we do not have to actully take any vit D and never be deficient in it. due to our skin

In the UK muslim women who cover up have a fairly incidnece of rickets as there not exposed to sunlight.

I have never known anyone getting to much vit D from the sun as you will be highly sun burned fisrt.

Reinier
04-14-2002, 11:43 AM
umm i thought vit d was needed in like pretty high doses for lifters. i havent been taking too much tho.
i think im on 200% rda a day now. is that bad?

body
04-14-2002, 12:47 PM
why do lifter need more vit D?

reiner vit D intake has more to do with skin colour and sunlight exposure.

vitamin D levels work hand in hand with calcuim. both are uselss with out the other one.

fevan
04-15-2002, 02:33 PM
250 ml of milk has 44% of the daily intake, i drink about 1.5 litres a day, that means that i'm getting 220% of intake, is it posible to get poisioning from this much?

LiftAgain
04-16-2002, 06:51 AM
The problem with fat-soluble vitamins is that they get stored in your body and excess intake (supplementing) will with time cause poisoning! If you live in a sunny climate you shouldn't need to worry about vitamin D supplementation.

Here's (http://www.daily-vitamins.com/fat.html) some info on Fat-Soluble Vitamins.

body
04-16-2002, 11:42 AM
fevan - that will be full fat milk?
most people here drink skimmed or semi skimmed. these will be lower in vit D as they have less fat in. with skimmed being about 30 times less than full fat.