PDA

View Full Version : Bulking diet critique?

skinnymachine
03-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Hey guys, I've been attempting to bulk for the past month and a half and my gains have been little, I'm actually becoming skinnier(losing a little mid-section fat, but my arms are skinny) The main hinderance for me is my diet, I've tried to eat a lot of food, but it seems I overestimate what I eat. I think i've actually been in calorie deficit for the past month and a half. Also, since I'm a poor, unemployed, college graduate I didn't really have money for food.

However, I'm moving back home and now have some funds to actually buy some food and stick to a schedule. This is what i've come up with so far. Any tips are appreciated! Btw, I'm 5'11, 160lbs. Skinny all over, with a little pudge around the midsection.
------------
Meal 1 9AM
5 Large Whole Hard Boiled Eggs
1 Cup dry Oatmeal
.5 cups plain yogurt

Meal 2 12AM
4oz Chicken Breast
1 cup brown rice
1 cup broccoli

PreworkoutMeal 3PM
1 Can Tuna
1.5 Cup Brown Rice

Workout @ 4PM
Usually takes an hour

Postworkout 5PM
1 Scoops ATW Whey
1 cup skim milk
35g dextrose/35g maltodextrin
5g Creatine Mono

Dinner 8PM
4oz Chicken Breast
2 cups spinach
1 cup brown rice
1 tbsp olive oil

Prebed 11PM
1 Cup Low Fat Cottage Cheese
1 Cup Skim Milk
2 tbsp natty pb
-----
Totals
Calories:3,079 Fat:83.7(22%) Carbs:384.7(45%) Protein:265.7(33%)

I was also thinking of adding 2-3 liver tabs along with every meal since a friend gave me a free 500ct bottle, does that sound alright? Thanks for any help you can give!

VikingWarlord
03-22-2009, 04:30 PM
How far above maintenance is what you're proposing?

It looks clean. A hell of a lot better than what most newbies post.

whiteman90909
03-22-2009, 05:00 PM
If that's enough for you to gain, it looks very good.

J.C.
03-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Looks like you've done your homework. Its a good formulaic diet, lots of protein, fairly nice macros. Personally I'd get bored eating like that very quickly but if you can stick to it then it may work. If you have trouble gaining, then just loosen it up a bit, throw in some ice cream, some cheese, red meat and some whole milk. You may not need to, and if you don't then great, but you may find that 3500 calories suits you better. Everyone is different though.

skinnymachine
03-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the great feedback guys! Yeah, I've tried to do as much research as possible. When I calculated my bmr caloric intake it was around 2200. I just wanted to get my diet in check since I know that diet is 80 percent of your results. With regards to supplementation, I shouldn't really bother with bcaas since I'm on a bulk right? I'm going for a basic multi(now adam), atw whey, fish oil, and creapure monohydrate.

I was thinking of adding in beta alanine since it is relatively inexpensive and I heard it works well in conjuction with creatine, but would it really make a difference? Would any of you recommend any other supplements to add to my stack? Also with regards to my training program, I will be following starting strength but with rows replacing the power cleans(I don't feel fully comfortable performing these formwise). Again, thanks a bunch guys!

VikingWarlord
03-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the great feedback guys! Yeah, I've tried to do as much research as possible. When I calculated my bmr caloric intake it was around 2200. I just wanted to get my diet in check since I know that diet is 80 percent of your results.

I'll go a little easy on you because your first post didn't completely suck but this is all bull****. You can't get anything reliable from formulas so you'll be FAR better off not relying on them for any help at all. There are too many individual variables.

Since you don't actually know what maintenance is, just try your diet for 2 weeks and weigh in. If you're gaining like you want to, stick with it...otherwise just adjust as necessary. It's going to be pretty imprecise at this point in your development but you'll be off to a decent start.

You also never really have to worry about BCAAs unless your protein sources are low quality. Any good proteins (from whole food or supplements) are going to be complete enough that you don't have to worry about adding anything else to it.

Your choice of supplements is plenty. You really don't need to add anything else to it though maybe consider a tab or two of caffeine pre-WO just for an additional energy boost.

given'er
03-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Almonds, peanuts or any other type of nuts are also a great way to add calories. I was suprised to find how many calories are in such small quantities. 1 cup of almonds = almost 550 calories.

Brodiesel
03-25-2009, 10:56 PM
more milk, more carbs, more healthy fat...unless you gain fine on what you posted. Looks like something I could cut on.

calhoun295
03-31-2009, 07:18 AM
Almonds, peanuts or any other type of nuts are also a great way to add calories. I was suprised to find how many calories are in such small quantities. 1 cup of almonds = almost 550 calories.

Exactly right, almonds are great for snacking. There are a lot of things just like that to grab instead of your usual.

MadScientist
03-31-2009, 08:08 AM
Not enough cals for 5'11"
You should be above 3500 at least.
Try to hit 100 fat 400 carb 300 protein.

And as you gain muscle mass, your maintenance cals increase, so add a few more calories for every 5 lbs you gain, like 200cals

VikingWarlord
03-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Not enough cals for 5'11"
You should be above 3500 at least.

On what do you base this?

Since he doesn't have any idea what his current maintenance is, wouldn't it be a smarter idea to see what happens and adjust on the fly?

MadScientist
03-31-2009, 10:31 AM
If I was 160lbs at 5'11" I would either go to the ER and get an IV

Or eat a hundred thousand bull testicles.

Bump those cals way up there, if you gain too much fat, then lower them.

This is wannabebig and not wannaberipped right?

So lets eat:soapbox: