PDA

View Full Version : Make way for the Novus Protein Bar!

Joe Black
03-24-2009, 09:19 AM
We are really pleased to announce the launch of a brand new product - the Novus Protein Bar (http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=24)!

We've been working on this one for a while now and as usual, our focus is on having the highest quality, scientifically proven ingredients and ensuring that we include them in abundance. And of course, ensuring they taste darn good!

Novus Protein Bars are loaded with protein, each bar containing a whopping 36g of quality protein! They are also packed with vitamins and minerals to support your intense training.

Novus Protein bars are also incredibly convenient. You may be travelling, simply want to grab something between meetings or perhaps you’re just looking for some easy pre or post workout nutrition. A Novus bar provides that shot of solid nutrition!

Did we also mention that they taste GREAT and come in two flavours - Cookie Dough and Mint cookie flavor?

http://atlargenutrition.com/images/novus.jpg
http://atlargenutrition.com/images/news/novusbar_actual.gif

Ok, enough, enough you say... Stop Teasing....

Where can I get some?

Right here: Novus Protein Bar (http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=24)!

Thanks!

Daniel

Progress
03-24-2009, 09:32 AM
I would love to try it but, alas, I'm allergic to peanuts. :(

malkore
03-24-2009, 11:33 AM
any chance of a coupon code/sale on these in the near future?
i'm about due for more Nitrean and wouldn't mind grabbing a box of these too. Not that the price is too steep, just always looking to save a dime :)

Joe Black
03-24-2009, 11:35 AM
We don;t have an plans for a sale in the near future I am afraid :(

Genacide
03-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Would it be possible to get a cross section pic of the bar?

Something like this

http://clipartcafeteria.com/wp-content/uploads/image/candybar-xl.gif

I think a mouth watering pic may send a few people over the edge and jump on a order.

Joe Black
03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Whatever turns you on ;)

Seriously though, sure....I would think so..

Chris, can you break one up and take a pic... Send me the jpg via email if you could....

HP666
03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I just ordered a 16 pack of Cookie Dough!!! Looking forward to giving these babies a whirl.

Lones Green
03-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Sweet! I'm gonna give these a shot with my next order. Maybe I can get the chocolate mint and finally put away the girl scout cookies...

RBB
03-24-2009, 02:11 PM
damnit! i just ordered on sunday....i'll definitely give these a try on the next go round.

Joe Black
03-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the support guys, it's really appreciated.

Progress
03-24-2009, 03:05 PM
OMG, you bastards. That looks like a Snickers bar!

ZenMonkey
03-24-2009, 03:06 PM
I just orderd 2 x16bar boxes!! Im excited.

HP666
03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
OMG, you bastards. That looks like a Snickers bar!

Don't get excited dude, that picture IS a Snickers bar!!! HA!!! Or something similar, he was using it as an example. But I'm sure the Novus bars rock too!!!
I ordered a 16 pack.

Progress
03-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Don't get excited dude, that picture IS a Snickers bar!!! HA!!! Or something similar, he was using it as an example. But I'm sure the Novus bars rock too!!!
I ordered a 16 pack.

Doh!

ljs102
03-24-2009, 06:18 PM
I can't wait for my Novus!

chris mason
03-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Lol, Novus tastes great, but is no Snickers bar. It is NOT loaded with sugar and has only 3 net grams of carbs.

The people we had test the bars provided us VERY positive reviews on the taste, so I think you will all be pleased.

Chris

Davey
03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Chris, I wish I had your job. In a previous post you mentioned the main reason why you made these bars is for personal use. $2.50 per bar x 2 bars a day = $5 a day x 30 days = $150 a month! :eek:

Any coupons out???:)

chris mason
03-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Chris, I wish I had your job. In a previous post you mentioned the main reason why you made these bars is for personal use. $2.50 per bar x 2 bars a day = $5 a day x 30 days = $150 a month! :eek:

Actually, the bars are about $2.25 each if you buy 16 at a time. No coupons at this time.

Chris

Masako
03-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I would love to try it but, alas, I'm allergic to peanuts. :(http://u09x0317atbd283.imageshacknow.info/img/3360/s09v0317fvxp/00.gif

Damn, I'm glad you pointed this out; I really need to read better. I was hoping to get these, but peanuts and I don't agree very well.

AKMass
03-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I saw this post in the bodybuilding/weightlifting section and it piqued my curiosity. Here's the original thread: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122605

The quality of protein in those tubes is questionable, since they use collagen and hydrolyzed protein.

Here is some additional information that addresses that directly toward the end (with regard to PDCAA):

"The FDA requires that a food's protein quality be measured using Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Scoring (PDCAAS). The score ranks proteins based on digestibility and the relative level of essential amino acids. Protein is comprised of amino acids, and the essential amino acids are the ones that you must obtain through your diet since your body cannot manufacture them.

When using the PDCAAS method for evaluating protein quality, a score of 1 indicates the highest quality of protein that supplies the essential amino acids at the right ratios to support growth and health. Egg, milk, soy isolate and meat proteins receive a score of 1 with this method. Conversely, gelatin is a poor quality protein with a PDCAAS of 0. The protein sources in the PowerBar TriSource*™ protein blend all score a 1 with the PDCAAS method.

Do other bars offer high-quality protein? How can I tell?

To determine if a bar contains high-quality protein, take a look at the Nutrition Facts panel on the back of the wrapper. There will be a row that lists the total grams of protein contained in that bar. If the bar is a making a protein claim, by regulation there should also be a % DV (Daily Value) listed next to the total number of grams. That DV percentage is corrected, or lowered, when a protein's PDCAAS score is lower than 1.0. For example, if the protein content is 20g, and the %DV is any less than 40%, then it means a PDCAAS score of less than 1.0 was applied (20g / 50g Daily Value = 40% DV). If the %DV corresponding to 20g of protein were 30% instead of 40%, for example, it would mean that the PDCAAS protein score for that product is 0.75, which is significantly lower in protein quality (by one quarter) than the 1.0 score for PowerBar's high quality TriSource Blend.

Examples of poor quality proteins are gelatin and collagen (sometimes labeled as hydrolyzed protein), which some manufacturers use as a protein source in their bars. Gelatin and collagen have a Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Scoring (PDCAAS) score of zero since they lack certain essential amino acids. If a product contains gelatin or collagen , then the total PDCAAS score will have to be less than 1.0 and you should see a %DV that has been lowered."

Source: http://ironman.com/training/sponsors/another-in-our-continuing-series-of-faqs-about-powerbar-products

I just saw the term "hydrolyzed protein" for the first time yesterday when I was reading about the new Novus bar. It appears based on the nutritional info that the PDCAAS score is one since each bar contains 36g of protein, and the %DV is 72%. I noticed the protein in the bar is described as a "Protein Complex" made up of various proteins (one being hydrolyzed). Is the amount of hydrolized protein so insignificant that the PDCAAS score is unaffected? Or are different hydrolyzed proteins of different quality?

Not trying to discredit Novus bars. I know AtLarge makes quality products, and I can't wait to try the bars, just curious!

Notorious
03-25-2009, 11:34 AM
I saw this post in the bodybuilding/weightlifting section and it piqued my curiosity. Here's the original thread: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122605

I just saw the term "hydrolyzed protein" for the first time yesterday when I was reading about the new Novus bar. It appears based on the nutritional info that the PDCAAS score is one since each bar contains 36g of protein, and the %DV is 72%. I noticed the protein in the bar is described as a "Protein Complex" made up of various proteins (one being hydrolyzed). Is the amount of hydrolized protein so insignificant that the PDCAAS score is unaffected? Or are different hydrolyzed proteins of different quality?

Not trying to discredit Novus bars. I know AtLarge makes quality products, and I can't wait to try the bars, just curious!

I think it's hydrolized whey, which is high quality.

Pimpstick
03-25-2009, 02:49 PM
If you guys could teleport them to me at work, I'd buy like 10 boxes (I'm so hungry). I'd even pay extra shipping :)

HP666
03-25-2009, 03:27 PM

But if you are using them to replace real food, then you are saving money on food. So instead of eating 2 whole eggs, 6 egg whites, a slice of whole wheat toast, and a banana for breakfast you could just eat a Novus bar.

HP666
03-25-2009, 03:32 PM
But if you are using them to replace real food, then you are saving money on food. So instead of eating 2 whole eggs, 6 egg whites, a slice of whole wheat toast, and a banana for breakfast you could just eat a Novus bar.

I used the term "real food" here loosely. Obviously the Novus bar is real food, I think you get what I meant; eating a bar rather than preparing something.

Unholy
03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
These bars are definitely worth the price. Mint sounds yum. I normally get IBS type effects from having more than 5g of sugar alcohols at a time, should I be worried?

robertd
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
they look decent, but I avoid sugar alcohols, they give me GI problems.

chris mason
03-25-2009, 07:29 PM
they look decent, but I avoid sugar alcohols, they give me GI problems.

Some people do experience those effects with sugar alcohols, especially if they are consumed to excess. Most people can acclimate to them and reduce or eliminate the problem with a gradual increase of consumption over time after beginning with a very small amount (say 1/4 to 1/2 bar). Other people experience no issues at all.

Chris

chris mason
03-25-2009, 07:30 PM
These bars are definitely worth the price. Mint sounds yum. I normally get IBS type effects from having more than 5g of sugar alcohols at a time, should I be worried?

Read my response to the other fellow above. You can acclimate your body to it and that normally eliminates the issue.

teeroy
03-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Some people do experience those effects with sugar alcohols, especially if they are consumed to excess. Most people can acclimate to them and reduce or eliminate the problem with a gradual increase of consumption over time after beginning with a very small amount (say 1/4 to 1/2 bar). Other people experience no issues at all.

Chris

I did Atkins many, many years ago and initially had problems with maltitol, but as Chris says your body does get used to it.

Unholy
03-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Awesome! Thanks. I have to order a box to try em out. So which flavor is your favorite guys? Cookie Dough or Mint?

chris mason
03-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I would say I prefer the cookie dough.

DavyRen
03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Chris and Dan,
I've really wanted these ever since you first mentioned it but when working out the shipping to the UK with some Opticen it works out at approx £90 which I just can't afford.

Maybe another time if i'm putting in a bulk order which would then minimise the cost per product.

ljs102
03-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I just got my two boxes and tried my first mint cookie bar. Tastes like the "thin mints" girl scout cookies! You guys were definitely not lying about the taste! Thanks ALN, can't wait to try the cookie dough later!

dumbbell
03-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Sounds like another great product guys. One more product that I don't have to buy from a competitor. I prefer to spend my limited resources available for supplements with you guys first due to your no BS approach in an industry that is 99% BS. I will definitely be adding these to a future order. (Just placed my 2nd this month).

I have a question regarding the carbs. I'm currently on the TNT plan A. I was wondering if these are compatible with this plan. I see 31g listed broke down to >1g of fiber, 1g of sugar, and 28g of sugar alcohols (glycerine and maltitol). I also see the note that indicates that there are only 3g of net impact carbs. Iguess I'm a bit ignorant of the whole "net carbs" thing. I thought that it referred to total carbs minus insoluble fiber. Maybe I'm also ignorant of sugar alcohols, I suppose. If you could answer these questions for me or post a link to an article or something that would be most wundeemus. Thanx.

Looking forward to trying the mint flavor. Damn the Girl Scouts, anyways. I live with a 3yr. old and a pregnant woman. Those blasted boxes are all over the house.

Mademan118
03-27-2009, 05:35 AM
just ordered my box of 16!!!!

chris mason
03-27-2009, 08:59 AM
I just got my two boxes and tried my first mint cookie bar. Tastes like the "thin mints" girl scout cookies! You guys were definitely not lying about the taste! Thanks ALN, can't wait to try the cookie dough later!

Thanks! Remember, if you are not used to sugar alcohols to go slow and stick to 1 bar per day for a few days. You may otherwise experience some gas etc.

ljs102
03-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks! Remember, if you are not used to sugar alcohols to go slow and stick to 1 bar per day for a few days. You may otherwise experience some gas etc.

Will do. The cookie dough is even better, it even has little chocolate chips in it!

SDS
03-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Is carrageenan used in these bars?

chris mason
03-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Is carrageenan used in these bars?

Go to the product page and click on the supplement facts link.

SDS
03-28-2009, 09:17 AM
I did. It's not in the other ingredients list, but I have no idea if that list is comprehensive and/or 100% complete and accurate. I figured one of you guys with intimate knowledge of the ingredients would be a more reliable source of information. Do you know if carrageenan is in these bars?

chris mason
03-28-2009, 11:19 AM
I did. It's not in the other ingredients list, but I have no idea if that list is comprehensive and/or 100% complete and accurate. I figured one of you guys with intimate knowledge of the ingredients would be a more reliable source of information. Do you know if carrageenan is in these bars?

I will check with our food scientist. I handle macro and micronutritient portions of formulations, not things such as specifics of flavoring, mouth feel, etc. To the best of my knowledge it is not.

Chris

cjones5632
03-29-2009, 03:23 AM
I just ordered my 1st box of these bars. They sound great, can't wait to try them.

dumbbell
03-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I also see the note that indicates that there are only 3g of net impact carbs. Iguess I'm a bit ignorant of the whole "net carbs" thing. I thought that it referred to total carbs minus insoluble fiber. Maybe I'm also ignorant of sugar alcohols, I suppose. If you could answer these questions for me or post a link to an article or something that would be most wundeemus. Thanx.

I did my own research (novel idea, huh?). I just looked up sugar alcohols on Wikipedia. They are basically insoluble just like fiber, therefore the low impact on blood sugar.

Just took a look through my pantry and I'm already consuming this stuff on a regular basis with no digestive issues. It appears that some may need to be acclimated to it, though (like any other dietary changes).

Definitely going to try these with my next order. I like the direction you guys are going. Keep up the good work. Cheers!

Travis Bell
03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
I got my box in the other day. Excellent protein bars!

Another great product by ALN

chris mason
03-29-2009, 08:19 PM
I did my own research (novel idea, huh?). I just looked up sugar alcohols on Wikipedia. They are basically insoluble just like fiber, therefore the low impact on blood sugar alcohols.

Just took a look through my pantry and I'm already consuming this stuff on a regular basis with no digestive issues. It appears that some may need to be acclimated to it, though (like any other dietary changes).

Definitely going to try these with my next order. I like the direction you guys are going. Keep up the good work. Cheers!

Thank you!

dumbbell
03-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Alright, just put in an order for my first box. Trying the mint cookie flavor first. The girl scout cookies made me do it.

Starting plan B on the TNT diet soon so I gots me sum Opticen commin too. :thumbup:

Yay! For CHOCOLATE!

chris mason
03-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Alright, just put in an order for my first box. Trying the mint cookie flavor first. The girl scout cookies made me do it.

Starting plan B on the TNT diet soon so I gots me sum Opticen commin too. :thumbup:

Yay! For CHOCOLATE!

Excellent! TNT is a GREAT plan. I think you will really like the chocolate Opticen. I honestly think it is our best tasting powder.

ZenMonkey
03-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Bra-freaking-vo.

The bars are amazing. The mint is just like girlscout thin mints. Id say how impressed I am but Ive come to expect the best from ALN and they unfailingly deliver.

If you havent ordered yourself some novus bars...you should.

Im an ALN customer for life.

chris mason
03-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Bra-freaking-vo.

The bars are amazing. The mint is just like girlscout thin mints. Id say how impressed I am but Ive come to expect the best from ALN and they unfailingly deliver.

Great! Thank you very much!

BFGUITAR
03-30-2009, 08:31 PM
I would buy them but are the shipping charges to Canada still high? Or has that been solved?

chris mason
03-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I would buy them but are the shipping charges to Canada still high? Or has that been solved?

Same shipping to Canada. We still charge only and exactly what USPS charges us...

Joe Black
03-31-2009, 01:24 AM
Bra-freaking-vo.

Thanks you for the feedback, we really do work hard at making sure the products taste really good. I've done my fair share of nose pinching both eating bars and drinking shakes in the past and we were determined to ensure that none of that nonsense is needed with any of our products :)

Thanks again, we really appreciate the comments.

Irish Pilot
03-31-2009, 07:51 AM
Anyone have any additional pictures and/or reviews of the bars they would like to share? Im sure there are many who would love to hear what you have to say about the Novus bar!

Indifference
03-31-2009, 02:14 PM
ordered a big box of each flavor. will definitely post my impressions when I get them!

Irish Pilot
03-31-2009, 02:58 PM
ordered a big box of each flavor. will definitely post my impressions when I get them!

...and I shall do the same! Im still waiting on my cookie dough bars!

Tom Mutaffis
04-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Anyone have any additional pictures and/or reviews of the bars they would like to share? Im sure there are many who would love to hear what you have to say about the Novus bar!

I picked up a box of the Mint Cookie bars - they are GREAT! The bars literally taste like a desert; great consistency and flavor. They also make for a perfect meal replacement for anyone who is dieting or looking to boost overall protein intake.

Was expecting big things on this product, but I have to say that I was still impressed.

Joe Black
04-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Glad you liked it Tom!

Lones Green
04-02-2009, 07:03 AM
I just put an order through for some, I've been thinking about them since Chris mentioned the chocolate mint tastes like girl scout thin mints. I've been through 2 boxes of thin mints this season and I'm looking to change my habits, LOL

MCC
04-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I am fairly new to the Wanna Be Big Forum, but I have been using ALN's Chocolate Nitrean 2 to 3 times a day for over two years. Nitrean is by far, the best tasting protein on the market. I just received my order of 8 Mint Cookie, and 8 Cookie Dough Novus bars, so I figured I would report.

I too have been sampling Girl Scout Cookie Mint Thin's over the last couple of weeks, so the taste is fresh in my mind. I don't think the Mint Cookie Novus bar tastes a lot like Mint Thins. They are however, great tasting, very smooth, and easy to eat. The flavor is not overwhelming like the majority of the protein bars I have eaten. I have not tried the Cookie Dough bars, but I expect they will be just as palatable. I will update my post when I try one. I will also continue to use the Novus Bar for my training diet. Great Job ALN.

Joe Black
04-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback MCC! We appreciate it!

cjones5632
04-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Got my cookie dough in yesterday. They arrived when I was mowing the grass and I had to stop and try one. I have to say they taste excellent. My wife eats raw cookie dough all the time, so I made her try one and she actually liked it. Great job as always ALN!!!

Gin & Tonic
04-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Just got my first box of novus bars in the mint cookie flavor. The taste reminds me exactly of those After Eight mints which is a great thing. Definitely a great food on the go. I bought them especially since they were low carb but they are sweetened with maltitol, after a little research on sugar alcohol I think I may need to change my diet some.

Bikkstah
04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I ordered the cookie dough and also the mint cookie and both are delicious. Most of the bars out there taste like crap and those that have as much protein as Novus do always taste metallic. I would recommend either flavor to anyone.

Joe Black
04-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys..... We really apreciate it and are really pleased you like the flavours!

Irish Pilot
04-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Damn UPS and your "Rescheduled delivery"!

phatmike
04-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Hey Guys...

I don't post much here anymore, but I faithfully use ALN's products, and have for years now. I got a box of the Mint Cookie flavor and I think they are great. They do remind me as others have said of the thin mints cookies, though without the crunch.

If you are on the fence, I'd definitely give these a shot.

Thanks Chris and Daniel for making these available. I've been buying bars from other sources for a while now, and am glad I can now send my money your way instead.

The Bran Man
04-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Just ordered 64 bars!

The Bran Man
04-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Damn UPS and your "Rescheduled delivery"!

hate that crap

Liberate
04-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Just ordered a couple. I'll make sure to post my thoughts after tasting them.

Indifference
04-05-2009, 11:41 PM
These things are epic. They taste better than any other protein bar ive ever eaten. These are PERFECT for me right now because im cutting weight and they make me feel relatively full afterwards! I ordered two big boxes but at the rate im going im gonna need to order more pretty soon. I definitely give two thumbs up for these. Great job ALN!

Ryan Celli
04-06-2009, 06:47 AM
I think both flavors are great. I really like the Mint. They are soft, smooth, and tasty! All with 36grams of high quality protein.

For those of you not watching your calories, try washing down the mint with a tall cold glass of milk! heaven.

Ryan

chris mason
04-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Good stuff guys!

AKMass
04-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Just got my order of Mint Cookie in...The bars are great! Consistency and texture is perfect, soft and chewy. I'll be putting in an order to try the Cookie Dough flavor soon as well.

Ryan Celli
04-07-2009, 09:28 AM
mint flavor = York peppermint patty!

Travis Bell
04-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Just got my order of Mint Cookie in...The bars are great! Consistency and texture is perfect, soft and chewy. I'll be putting in an order to try the Cookie Dough flavor soon as well.

The cookie dough is awesome. Personally that's my favorite flavor if I had to choose.

My fiance calls me the cookie monster though if that's any indication as to how much I like cookies

Lones Green
04-08-2009, 03:31 AM
You guys have done it again. The mint cookie reminds me of a york peppermint patty, as stated above.

I'm not a huge fan of bars, but I'll be keeping a box of these for emergencies!

chris mason
04-08-2009, 07:40 PM
You guys have done it again. The mint cookie reminds me of a york peppermint patty, as stated above.

I'm not a huge fan of bars, but I'll be keeping a box of these for emergencies!

Thanks!

dumbbell
04-08-2009, 09:01 PM
The mint cookie flavor passed my taste test. Yummy.

One is now living in the glove box of my truck, my toolbox at my job, and my school backpack. I don't like to be hungry.

Genacide
04-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Whats the average time until the bars expire? I'm considering getting some, but they would be for when times I can't get away from the desk and therefore may be on the shelf for quite awhile.

Irish Pilot
04-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Whats the average time until the bars expire? I'm considering getting some, but they would be for when times I can't get away from the desk and therefore may be on the shelf for quite awhile.

My bars show a little over 2 years till expiration (05/10). I would be seriously impressed if a box lasted more than a month though. As others have mentioned, they are quite tasty...you may find yourself "making room" in your day for one when you didnt intentionally plan on it ;)

Liberate
04-11-2009, 12:37 PM
I just got a pack of the cookie dough bars. They're pretty damn tasty when you consider the amount of calories and protein is stuffed into them. My only complaint is the price. As a college student, they may just be too expensive to work in regularly. A student discount would be nice -- and feasible, considering we all have @edu email addresses.

Travis Bell
04-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Unfortunately the price comes with the quality.

If you compare it to other protein bars of equal quality though, it's really pretty reasonable.

dumbbell
04-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately the price comes with the quality.

If you compare it to other protein bars of equal quality though, it's really pretty reasonable.

Exactly. These aren't your typical 100 calorie Wal-Mart variety bars.

Joe Black
04-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I just got a pack of the cookie dough bars. They're pretty damn tasty when you consider the amount of calories and protein is stuffed into them. My only complaint is the price. As a college student, they may just be too expensive to work in regularly. A student discount would be nice -- and feasible, considering we all have @edu email addresses.

We do hear this a lot.. However from day one Chris and I decided that we wanted to create some of the best products in the market. That means high quality ingredients and enough of them to actually make a difference.

Ultimately this means that things cost a touch more. You'd be suprised at just how many other companies use inferior ingredients and just put in enough of the ingredient so that they can use it in the marketing spiele.

Chris says this often and I think it's a great point. You can actually get away with using our products less often and get the same or superior results due to the fact that our ingredients per serving and the quality of them are as good as you are going to get.

But, I understand that at the end of the day 20 bucks is 20 bucks and some people simply can't justify the expense... I guess it just is what it is, we don't plan to shift our stance on creating premium products and your best bet is to keep an eye out for a sale or just save and use them a little less than you might a cheaper alternative....

Irish Pilot
04-12-2009, 02:01 PM
From what I have found doing a quick price comparison with comparable bars on the market (~90g, <5g net carbs, >30g protein, etc.), the Novus bars are not off the mark. Im no ingredient expert, but from what I have found, a lot of the comparable bars out there also happen to be filled with lots of garbage. In whatever small margin that the Novus bar is a few cents more costly, I find it to be well worth my dollar to have the higher quality protein and taste that I find in the Novus...not to mention supporting At Large for how well they have treated me in shipping my stuff fast, sending samples when I ask, etc.

I dont want to sound too much like a ALN fanboy, but being an active consumer and not just a robot with a credit card, I value a company that sells quality material and shows me sincere appreciation for my support. Not every occasion calls for the "whats the cheapest option." YMMV.

If you value your diet well enough to research a decent protein supplement, why would you not spend the difference for quality? Dont price shop a lambo and then bitch about the price of gas.

Liberate
04-12-2009, 03:22 PM
We do hear this a lot.. However from day one Chris and I decided that we wanted to create some of the best products in the market. That means high quality ingredients and enough of them to actually make a difference.

Ultimately this means that things cost a touch more. You'd be suprised at just how many other companies use inferior ingredients and just put in enough of the ingredient so that they can use it in the marketing spiele.

Chris says this often and I think it's a great point. You can actually get away with using our products less often and get the same or superior results due to the fact that our ingredients per serving and the quality of them are as good as you are going to get.

But, I understand that at the end of the day 20 bucks is 20 bucks and some people simply can't justify the expense... I guess it just is what it is, we don't plan to shift our stance on creating premium products and your best bet is to keep an eye out for a sale or just save and use them a little less than you might a cheaper alternative....
I understand. How about larger quantities? I would buy a huge box if it means more bang for the buck. 16 is nothing.

chris mason
04-12-2009, 05:25 PM
From what I have found doing a quick price comparison with comparable bars on the market (~90g, <5g net carbs, >30g protein, etc.), the Novus bars are not off the mark. Im no ingredient expert, but from what I have found, a lot of the comparable bars out there also happen to be filled with lots of garbage. In whatever small margin that the Novus bar is a few cents more costly, I find it to be well worth my dollar to have the higher quality protein and taste that I find in the Novus...not to mention supporting At Large for how well they have treated me in shipping my stuff fast, sending samples when I ask, etc.

I dont want to sound too much like a ALN fanboy, but being an active consumer and not just a robot with a credit card, I value a company that sells quality material and shows me sincere appreciation for my support. Not every occasion calls for the "whats the cheapest option." YMMV.

If you value your diet well enough to research a decent protein supplement, why would you not spend the difference for quality? Dont price shop a lambo and then bitch about the price of gas.

Thank you!

Chris

Davey
04-12-2009, 05:53 PM

I totally agree with you on that, if you're in school forget about working them into your daily meal plan unless your daddy pays for school.

These would be good if you're out somewhere on the road or on airplane or biking, somewhere that you don't have access to food and where it would be hard to bring your own meal.

I second the bulk option. Why not a 32 size box, at least it would last a month. If you guys offered 32 bars in a box and a 10lb jug of protein wouldn't that save you time and money on shipping your products out?

Beavereater
04-14-2009, 12:29 PM
UPS showed up today...while I wasn't home...they'll be back tomorrow.

Irish Pilot
04-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Finally got my Mint to go with the CDough I got earlier. Definately very much like Thin Mints! I wonder if the Novus is as good frozen as Thin Mints lol.

Liberate
04-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Finally got my Mint to go with the CDough I got earlier. Definately very much like Thin Mints! I wonder if the Novus is as good frozen as Thin Mints lol.
Interesting, I wonder if you can freeze the Novus bars? Might be even tastier.

Beavereater
04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Novus Bars came this morning, the time I normally need something sweet, quick and healthy. Until recently, the healthy part wasn't really healthy and I 'made due' with what I had. Novus was better tasting, more satisfying, much MUCH healthier and has replaced all need for any other snack I've had before. Novus is now going to be part of my diet.

I'd like to add that the satisfying part means 1 bar fills your tummy, and if you need 2 bars you gotta be hungry IMO. They are worth every penny, even when shipped overseas.

chris mason
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Awesome! Thanks for your comments and business!

Irish Pilot
04-17-2009, 01:37 PM
A few simple Novus concoctions I came up with lol...

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2125164#post2125164

BTW, Novus Bar frozen? Still awesome. Little chewy though lol!

bamazav
04-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Just had my first Novus. I will have to be careful or I may become a Novus Junkie. :drooling: I have tried a bunch of other bars and the Novus is the best. Keep up the good work.

Travis Bell
04-17-2009, 03:33 PM
A few simple Novus concoctions I came up with lol...

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2125164#post2125164

BTW, Novus Bar frozen? Still awesome. Little chewy though lol!

Very creative! I'm impressed. Thanks for posting that

Irish Pilot
04-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Im gonna bump this back up. The Mint ones are fantastic when frozen...havent tried the cookie dough ones frozen yet, but Ive got one in the freezer as we speak. Take it out of the freezer and give it 3-4 minutes before you eat it. Tastes the same of course, just makes it a little more chewy (and of course, cold).

Good stuff!

AKMass
04-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Ordered two boxes of the cookie dough flavor a couple days ago...Hope they're as good as the mint cookie. I wonder if they're at home waiting for me. :drooling:

Davey
04-27-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm ready to order these to carry with me when mountain biking but I'm holding out for some coupons or sales! :)

I just noticed you can buy 16 bars for $16 more bucks? So that brings down each bar down 25 cents, not a bad deal. :) But a sale would still be really sweet!

Bodypumper
04-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Looking forward to getting some this week for my big spring hiking trip!! http://www.adviceguy.net/img/BB/l.gif Will review them after and give comments or a review.

BB