PDA

View Full Version : Taking Protein bad before a cardio session?

b1982
03-24-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm trying to increase my protein intake during my "cutting" phase, so I try to have a shake regularly pre workout, and post. Today, I'm only planning on doing a moderate cardio session. Is it bad in any way to have the shake pre-workout still? And does it serve me at all to take a post-workout shake as if I just lifted?

VikingWarlord
03-24-2009, 04:49 PM
It doesn't really matter if you can do it. Protein after lifting is a good thing, most people will add dextrose to help speed the uptake during the post workout phase.

borobulker
03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
In my opinion, I would simply wait until post workout to consume your protein. You also may want to look into amino acids (BCAA/EAA) as they are pre-digested and will uptake into your bloodstream much quicker.

The pre-workout shake is not necessarily a bad thing but you will not see much benefit from it either.

VikingWarlord
03-25-2009, 05:58 AM
In my opinion, I would simply wait until post workout to consume your protein. You also may want to look into amino acids (BCAA/EAA) as they are pre-digested and will uptake into your bloodstream much quicker.

The pre-workout shake is not necessarily a bad thing but you will not see much benefit from it either.

If you're using a quality protein supplement containing whey, it has more complete proteins and is highly bioavailable so absorption isn't really an issue.

Alternatively, consume a more complex protein (think a solid meal) a few hours before you train. The proteins will be metabolized and you'll have your available amino acids.

If you do everything else well, BCAAs are just an unnecessary expense.

Iqbal
03-26-2009, 05:12 AM
And if you are going to do intense or long exercise sessions, eat more before
... Eating puts stress on the cardiovascular system, and throwing exercise in
with ... As you know protein is the best for the muscles. I eat before
exercising, ... taking some protein drinks or a drink that raises my electrolite
levels. ...

borobulker
03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
If you're using a quality protein supplement containing whey, it has more complete proteins and is highly bioavailable so absorption isn't really an issue.

Alternatively, consume a more complex protein (think a solid meal) a few hours before you train. The proteins will be metabolized and you'll have your available amino acids.

If you do everything else well, BCAAs are just an unnecessary expense.

So you are for a whey shake immediately prior to cardio? I would have to disagree with you on that one. I am sure you are aware that there is much more to whey composition that simply AA. Much that is not necessarily needed, including trace macro's and calories. Also, with whole food proteins there are quite a few processes that take place prior to release of AA into the blood stream. Obviously, there is no difference between an AA from whole food or an AA from a supplement once in the blood stream.The short duration of digestion and absorption, as well as low caloric load makes BCAA/AA supplementation a better option, IMO.

I would rather see the OP consume a Casein based shake than a Whey shake if their only option is as a pre-workout meal. Casein has proven to be a potent anti-catabolic weapon.

Viking, I understand where you are coming from but i disagree that AA supplementation is unnecessary.

VikingWarlord
03-26-2009, 11:43 AM
So you are for a whey shake immediately prior to cardio?

I'm saying that it makes no measurable difference what you do before a strictly cardio training session if the rest of the diet is in check.

I am sure you are aware that there is much more to whey composition that simply AA. Much that is not necessarily needed, including trace macro's and calories. Also, with whole food proteins there are quite a few processes that take place prior to release of AA into the blood stream. Obviously, there is no difference between an AA from whole food or an AA from a supplement once in the blood stream.The short duration of digestion and absorption, as well as low caloric load makes BCAA/AA supplementation a better option, IMO.

The first part of this is irrelevant since those additional macros should be accounted for in the diet anyway. If you read what I had said more carefully, the suggestion for a whole food meal was a few hours prior to training, not immediately before. By that time, the complete proteins would be

I would rather see the OP consume a Casein based shake than a Whey shake if their only option is as a pre-workout meal. Casein has proven to be a potent anti-catabolic weapon.

A blended protein (obligatory Nitrean plug) would be the best bet. Blending proteins with different rates of absorption will provide a steady stream of fuel for a longer period of time.

Viking, I understand where you are coming from but i disagree that AA supplementation is unnecessary.

Some people swear by them but I've never seen anything that indicates enough of a difference to justify spending the extra money on yet another supplement so I can't recommend them in good conscience. If you time your meals properly, there will be plenty of BCAAs available when your body needs them.