PDA

View Full Version : Heinens Stir Fry

devongarver
03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
We have a local grocery store around here (ohio) called Heinens. They are a somewhat higher end store with a wider selection of organic foods and what not. Any way, they have a salad bar and stir fry bar where you put all your ingredients ina bowl and they cook it up for you. There is a menu that just shows the prices per pound but at the bottom it says in small print "One pound of food is equal to about 3500 calories" . Now, how can this be an accurate statement in anyway considering the pound could be of a bunch of different things, and its 90% veggies to begin with! I have to wonder where they are getting this information from, im scared to imagine what kinda of sauce they could cook it in to get it up to 3500 calories!!! Anyone have any thoughts on this?

beaverfootball
03-24-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't know if that's just a really poor "average" figure for all of their food that they offer, but there is no way it can be very accurate if someone got a vegetarian stir fry that was a pound and then someone got a stir fry with 50% meat because some things are going to be way more calorie dense foods.

whiteman90909
03-24-2009, 08:25 PM
453g/lb*4cals/gram = 1800 calories = one lb of carbohydrates or protein

453g/lb*9cals/gram = 4000 calories = one lb of fat

Maybe they're assuming people get the fattiest stir fry possible, cause 3500 cals for one lb of food means it's waaayyyy fatty. There's no way that's an average...

devongarver
03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
453g/lb*4cals/gram = 1800 calories = one lb of carbohydrates or protein

453g/lb*9cals/gram = 4000 calories = one lb of fat

Maybe they're assuming people get the fattiest stir fry possible, cause 3500 cals for one lb of food means it's waaayyyy fatty. There's no way that's an average...

Is that something i should have known? haha i guess im not too educated yet on specifics with calories and whatnot. I hear you guys talkin bout macros and to be honest im in the dark about that. All i remember reading is that most veggies were about 30-50 calories per serving. I just dont remember how big a "serving" was. Thanks for the info tho :)