PDA

View Full Version : Exercise's PL's Don't Do?

Andre518
03-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I know PL's find curls unnecessary to do. I was wondering what are other lifts do PL stay away from. One I was wondering about the most are calve raises. I usually do them for assisted work on leg days.

Bako Lifter
03-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Um... Chest flyes.

Pimpstick
03-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Try this:

Find 165 pound 18 year year old in wife beater at the gym. Tapout shirt can also apply. Follow him around for an entire workout and document what he does. Then don't do any of it.

Flat bench is omitted from this.

WillNoble
03-25-2009, 01:41 PM

as are tricep pressdowns

Bako Lifter
03-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Try this:

Find 165 pound 18 year year old in wife beater at the gym. Tapout shirt can also apply. Follow him around for an entire workout and document what he does. Then don't do any of it.

Wtf man?

Brad08
03-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I know PL's find curls unnecessary to do. I was wondering what are other lifts do PL stay away from. One I was wondering about the most are calve raises. I usually do them for assisted work on leg days.

Very few seem to do anything in a Smith machine, or in any machine for that matter, although machines do have their uses.

Reko
03-25-2009, 01:58 PM
curls aren't that bad. It helps keep balance and can be a good recovery tool.

chest/pec flyes, however, will never be performed by me, PL or otherwise.

geoffsherman
03-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't think there is anything that is black and white, things have their place for different people. I know the Sheiko folks use flyes as a recovery tool to get a good stretch. There are some I have lifted with who swore by curls to build a deadlift. I think you have to just find what works for you and keep it, if it doesn't work, then throw it out.

Pete22
03-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I think you have to just find what works for you and keep it, if it doesn't work, then throw it out.

This.

Pimpstick
03-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Wtf man?

Bako,

I swear to god that was pure coincidence. That was in no way directed at you. Lol that's pretty amusing.

That's makes me feel a little stupid for not noticing your exact stats 2 inches above what I posted. Unless you're a tapout MMA wannabe, which I don't think you are. Cause if you are, no apology!

Mercuryblade
03-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Wtf man?

:zipit:

Guido
03-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Wtf man?
Ouch.

I second the flyes. I've also never seen any PL'ers do tricep kickbacks, nor do I do them, myself. You can also pretty much throw out anything that involves a ball (bosu or otherwise).

mike95763
03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
I second the flyes. I've also never seen any PL'ers do tricep kickbacks, nor do I do them, myself. You can also pretty much throw out anything that involves a ball (bosu or otherwise).

Actually, I have issues with triceps tendonitis and kickbacks are one of the rehab/prehab excersizes that really help warm up the tendons. I think Ryan Celli also does them (but much much heavier than I do). I also have used one of those excersize ball things for weighted leg raises. It is one of the better leg raise type abdominal excersizes I have found.

I don't think there is anything that is black and white, things have their place for different people. I think you have to just find what works for you and keep it, if it doesn't work, then throw it out.

Like Pete said, This

Bako Lifter
03-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Bako,

I swear to god that was pure coincidence. That was in no way directed at you. Lol that's pretty amusing.

That's makes me feel a little stupid for not noticing your exact stats 2 inches above what I posted. Unless you're a tapout MMA wannabe, which I don't think you are. Cause if you are, no apology!

Hahahaha, ya I was like 80% sure it was a coincidence. That's funny though.
And no I'm not a TapOut bro wannabe haha.

Eric Downey
03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
curls, smith machine stuff, pec dec sorry but we use all of these. no muscle or group shuould ever go unworked all together.

Cricket_Fire
03-25-2009, 05:19 PM
I know they're out there, but it's not a common thing to see powerlifters hitting calf raises

Detard
03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Tricep kickbacks.

waynedang
03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Heck I do tricep kickbacks with a band sometimes at home. I also do about 8 sets of curls a year. The only thing I don't do is db flyes because it hurts my pec

Kray-z
03-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Personally, l try to stay away from the reverse swedish parallel pause supinated tricep extension with bands and a hook-grip. Just way too dangerous.

Brian C
03-25-2009, 09:12 PM
My favorite is DB presses on a ball...or really anything on a ball

Ben Moore
03-25-2009, 10:42 PM
At one point or another whether it be to be more well rounded, for rehab or prehab I've probably done it all. You learn what works and stick with it.

jtteg_x
03-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Dedicated powerlifters train movements that will help their squat, bench and deadlift.

Those that train around PL and hypertrophy (IE: me) perform PL movements but train for size/mass as well.

EatMyWay2TheTop
03-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Um... Chest flyes.

Ed Coan and Doug Young used to do flies. Not to say it should be a staple of your training but most exercices have their place in training at one time or another.

Pimpstick
03-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Personally, l try to stay away from the reverse swedish parallel pause supinated tricep extension with bands and a hook-grip. Just way too dangerous.

i need to know what this is

Reko
03-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Ed Coan and Doug Young used to do flies. Not to say it should be a staple of your training but most exercices have their place in training at one time or another.

and I am neither one of those people :)
Its a risk vs reward thing with me on the flyes. I feel my arms getting ripped off even with the lightest of weight.

tomv
03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Handstand to forward roll?

Brian C
03-26-2009, 06:57 PM
How about flat bench with feet in the air...but my all time wtf move is the 1 leg cable flyes

Eric Downey
03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
how about flat bench with feet in the air...but my all time wtf move is the 1 leg cable flyes

feet in the air. Something else we do all the time

Travis Bell
03-26-2009, 09:23 PM
feet in the air. Something else we do all the time

Seriously?

What is the advantage of that?

Eric Downey
03-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Seriously?

What is the advantage of that?

make you stable yourself on the bench.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iThRKPG4Tls&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iThRKPG4Tls&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JasonLift
03-27-2009, 04:19 AM
Some PL competitions out here include the barbell curl as one of the lifts.

The perception is bodybuilders do all kinds of exercises and powerlifters only a few, but from what I seen it is the opposite. I know at my gym people are always coming up with crazy new things to make us stronger, as well as utilize or try nearly anything else.

Andre518
03-27-2009, 08:40 AM
make you stable yourself on the bench.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iThRKPG4Tls&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iThRKPG4Tls&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think he meant like this I always see guys doing 3 set of these with 135lbs grunting like its 405lbs. I always wondered why they would do it like that.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/syderbomb/Cameron-Bench-Pressing.jpg

tomv
03-27-2009, 08:54 AM
The belt in that photo is awesome. Definitely necessary.

Andre518
03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
^^^LOL.. :clap:

The Sun
03-27-2009, 04:50 PM
kickbacks, smith machine, anything on a bosu\fitness ball.
cable crossover.

Eric Downey
03-27-2009, 04:58 PM
If your read my log from tuesday. I used the bosu for pushups and the end of my workout. Ill say i dont do cable cross overs anymore

The Sun
03-27-2009, 05:02 PM
If your read my log from tuesday. I used the bosu for pushups and the end of my workout. Ill say i dont do cable cross overs anymore

lol, why using a bosu? :)
hrmf

Eric Downey
03-27-2009, 08:40 PM
lol, why using a bosu? :)
hrmf

i wanted to do pushups. the bosu was gonna make it harder and work stablizers in my shoulders.

JK1
03-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Two exercises I'm not sure why any person does:

squats on a bosu ball or an exercise ball. That to me is a recipe for a broken ankle.

these weird things I've seen people do in the gym where they set up as if they are doing floor presses, load 225 to 315 on the bar, and then holding the bar at arms length, do leg raises.

The first time I saw that, I thought WOW, another powerlifter.......... That was followed by WTF? as the dude did his leg raises. I finally got tired of it and asked him to get out of the rack, we needed it for squats.

I personally won't do dumbell flys (they irritate my shoulders) or sissy or hack squats (they irritate my knees for what I get out of them).