PDA

View Full Version : Is it even worht it?

Andre518
03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Due to unexpected events happening in my life right I may only be able to workout on Saturdays and Sundays. I have no room in my aptment to put any equipment. This is really getting my down. If I have to do it for a week or two fine but it may be this way until September. Would it even be worth working out for only 2 days a week for 5-6 months. :cry:

Cards
03-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I think I read a post by Chris a few years back that said he only trained a body part once every 10-15 days but when he did train he went balls to the wall to make sure that that single training day would be sufficient for that time period. Also assuming that you're eating enough calories on the other days of the week and meeting macro nutrient needs, I’m sure you will be fine.

Pimpstick
03-26-2009, 11:16 AM
You won't become a pro training 2 days a week, but you also won't look like the average slob. Just make the most efficient use of your training time. Only do heavy compound movements and HIIT. Make sure your diet is spot on. You'll be ok.

Is it a lack of time or what?

Brodiesel
03-26-2009, 11:21 AM
what about a pullup bar int he apartment, maybe get some bands, bodyweight stuff on the other days. I've seen some templates training 2 days a week, i'm sure it's not the most beneficial but it's better than nothing.

Andre518
03-26-2009, 11:22 AM
I stay home during the day with my daughter and work at night. So I started working out at Golds Gym because they have daycare. I've been there for a little over a month and already my daughter has come down with 2 viral rashes and my girlfriend is pissed and is not allowing her to go back. She only 2 so her immune system as strong yet. Im thinking if is doesn't go for a couple of weeks and I workout on the weekend and give her time to get better and try it again(if i can get my gf to go for it) but if not she will start school 2 days a week in September so I will go on those days and the weekend.

Pimpstick
03-26-2009, 11:27 AM
babysitter? are you sure the rash is from the gym? if you are POSITIVE it is from the gym, you can probably seek some kind of recourse.

Sensei
03-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Jeebus, why would you want to take your kid there if it might be making her sick? I would plan on doing your big work at the gym on the weekends and then do what you can at home. Will it be ideal? Hell no, but you throw in the towel or start looking for options...

What can you do at home? A lot if you have to - band work, bodyweight work, sandbag work, etc. can all be done without destroying you financially and even if you live in a small place.

I'm not unsympathetic - read these:
New & Expecting Fathers: Tips for Training and Time Management http://danjohn.org/rkc.pdf
When He/She Doesn't Get It - http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2009/01/when-shehe-doesnt-get-it.html

Detard
03-26-2009, 02:10 PM
I agree with sensei, there are many options for training at home. Order some bands, and do some stuff with those. They dont take up alot of room, but the loads can be pretty heavy if you set them up properly.

Good luck dude. Even if you could only do 2 days on the weekend, and 30 mins 1 day during the week (possible), you will be alright.

Eric Downey
03-26-2009, 02:13 PM
find a gym with better day care

Brian C
03-26-2009, 02:58 PM
I've been her before. When my wife had twins, I could never get to the gym during the week when she went back to work. I did the same thing your about to do. Saturday I did max bench work/tris/shoulders. Sunday I did max squats or DL/upper and lower back. During the week at home, I used light bands around my shoulders and did push ups for DE upper body. Also DB work off the floor. I also used average bands that I would step on and put around my shoulders and do DE squat work. Then I would do verticle jumps onto my basement stairs holding light DBs. So don't EVER give up. There is always a way bro. :)

Athos
03-27-2009, 06:52 AM
You don't have an optimal situation, but you can still do lots of things. As noted, you can do a lot with bands. Also, there are plenty of bodyweight exercises that can be done and you can make them harder by loading your body with weight. I'd make some sandbags up, there are sites out there with good directions on how to make incremental sandbags, so you can make them as light or as heavy as you want, plus they are quiet so you won't tick-off your neighbors in the apartments around you. Use the bags and do chair dips, push-ups, squats, split-squats, front press, etc. You can train them with different tempo too, controlled and/or ballastic. You have the sandbag/bodyweight days at home and on the weekend you move serious weight in the gym. Yes, it's always worth it.

Ryano
03-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Your question is should you workout two days a week or not workout at all???? Obviously any workout is better than none. Just make your gym days a ME day upper & ME lower.

Andre518
03-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I have some good news this morning. After my g/f talked with the doctor and the the doc. told her that this viral rash is her reaction to new germs from other kids. That it is actually good for to be exposed no because it will help her build a better immune system and she will be less exceptable to being sick when she starts school, my g/f and I talked about it and once she is feeling better and had time to recover we are going to allow her back. So we will see what happens from there. Thanks again for the advice and links guys it meant a lot to me to have a such support.