PDA

View Full Version : 30 lbs. in 30 days

abebesheir
03-26-2009, 04:26 PM
I am thinking of trying the add 30 pounds to your bench in 30 days program. However, I am at a crappy fitness gym that does not allow deadlifts and only lets you squat in a Smith machine.
Also, there is not a good leg press machine...
I was wondering if it would be possible to squat all three days for my main leg exercise?
I would keep the sets/reps the same (2x5, 2x3, 2x6). Any suggestions as far as the weight I should use?
I was thinking of doing 70%x2x5, 80%x2x3 and 60%x2x6. Does that sound about right?
Thanks for any input/suggestions...

Bennuendo
03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I am thinking of trying the add 30 pounds to your bench in 30 days program. However, I am at a crappy fitness gym that does not allow deadlifts and only lets you squat in a Smith machine.
I was wondering if it would be possible to squat all three days for my main leg exercise?
I would keep the sets/reps the same (2x5, 2x3, 2x6). Any suggestions as far as the weight I should use?
I was thinking of doing 70%x2x5, 80%x2x3 and 60%x2x6. Does that sound about right?

WHAT!?!? A gym that doesn't allow you to deadlift (my favorite exercise) and you can only squat in a smith machine? I'd go to a new gym for sure..

Brian C
03-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Find a new gym...

Bako Lifter
03-26-2009, 04:45 PM
And ya man, find a new gym?
Why wont they let you do deads? If it's because of dropping heavy weight you could just do RDLs.
You can replace leg press with lunges.
Just make the best out of what you have.

abebesheir
03-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the input!! I know I really need to find a new gym but I have no car and I'm limited by what is close enough to walk to... Planet Fitness is 3/4 of a mile away (a 12 minute walk), so I went with them. There is a Gold's Gym that is about four miles away but I found that I am generally too tired to workout after walking that far. I really have no other options. One idea is to alternate front squatting with back squatting (unfortunately all in the Smith machine)... how does that sound?

Bennuendo
03-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the input!! I know I really need to find a new gym but I have no car and I'm limited by what is close enough to walk to... Planet Fitness is 3/4 of a mile away (a 12 minute walk), so I went with them. There is a Gold's Gym that is about four miles away but I found that I am generally too tired to workout after walking that far. I really have no other options. One idea is to alternate front squatting with back squatting (unfortunately all in the Smith machine)... how does that sound?

I dunno man.. I've found that smith machines really limit me on the correct movement for squats... I'm pretty tall though..

Do you have a bike? 4 miles wouldn't be as bad if you rode a bike there.

Bako Lifter
03-26-2009, 05:18 PM

I would grab a barbell, power clean it and just do front squats. You generally can't front squat too much weight in the beginning anyways.

mike95763
03-26-2009, 06:33 PM
If you don't have a car ride a bike. The 4 mile trip to Gold's would take less than 15 minutes and if you are too tired after that then you need to work on your GPP anyhow.

11not10
03-26-2009, 06:37 PM
This is ludacris and it seems to be an issue at a lot of gyms. Like these guys are saying, find a new gym.

ct67_72
03-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Ive heard that before too. find a bar, load weight and pull till someone tells you to stop. I think it is the most absurd thing I hae ever heard, no lifting in the gym

Travis Bell
03-26-2009, 10:36 PM
You realize the 30lbs program is intended for bench, not squat right?

Notorious
03-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Public transportation

abebesheir
03-27-2009, 08:41 AM
You realize the 30lbs program is intended for bench, not squat right?

Yes. I know it's a bench program... but it calls for 2x5 squat on Monday, 2x3 deadlift on Wednesday and 2x6 leg press on Friday.
I can only squat in a Smith machine. I cannot deadlift and the leg press machine really sucks at our gym.
So I was just asking what do to for leg work while on this program...

abebesheir
03-27-2009, 08:43 AM
If you don't have a car ride a bike. The 4 mile trip to Gold's would take less than 15 minutes and if you are too tired after that then you need to work on your GPP anyhow.

I have been hit by a car twice when riding a bike so I'm a little leary about biking on the local roads (which have a lot of traffic and very narrow shoulders). I do need to work on my GPP because I am now 5'5 and 216... maybe I should just suck it up and walk the four miles now that the weather is getting nicer.

Andre518
03-27-2009, 09:30 AM

Hey bud I was in the same boat about a month ago I started working out at Planet Fitness and it was ok until I started getting int PL. They only had smith machines and it was killing my knees on squats so I started using the incline bench and steping under and lifting the weight up off it to do squats. Wasnt to bad but needed a lift off for lifts over 325lbs. They really didnt mind DL but I worked out at 1am when I would go in during "peak" hours I would start doing them then a guy would come over and say "would you mind just placing a yoga mat under the weights so it doesnt mess the floor up." I was really annoying I just switched to Gold Gym and things are a lot better they have power racks, more weights, and they dont really mind you banging weights with in reason. So my advice is if you cant get to another gym try to find some good work arounds.