PDA

View Full Version : 330 & 340 deadlift RAW @ 175

The Sun
03-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi,

I barely post but I check in sometimes to the forum.
anyway, I'm new to strength training and you could say I work like 5 months with proper nutrition and programming.

hit some PRs last week on 175 BW, RAW.

deadlift's previous PR was 315 for 3, so I went for 330, locked, and then went for 340. I missed the lockout the first time with 340, so I went for it again, barefoot.

vids:
330 deadlift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSQFMkZZKiE

340 2nd attempt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0_M5uFmYoU

Ben Moore
03-27-2009, 06:38 AM
No video

The Sun
03-27-2009, 06:42 AM
No video

fixed, just click the URL.
guess the youtube shortcut hates me :)

Kiknskreem
03-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Give this thread a look-see... you're basically stiff legging your deadlift.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112127931

Beefcaker
03-27-2009, 01:34 PM
I agree with the above statement.

I'm actually kind of worried for you. I am just now getting back to lifting after I slipped a disk back in November. I'm still not healed all the way, and I'm going to need epidural steroidal injections (also known as a BIG FAWKN NEEDLE IN YOUR SPINE) every 3-4 months until the pain goes down. It's horrible.

And the thing is, my form was MUCH better than yours the first time I ever did a deadlift. I'm really not trying to be a dickhead, but dude - - USE YOUR LEGS, keep your spine straight, and make sure you get your shoulders behind your hips to lock it out. Slipping a disk is bad and is a VERY real possibility for you

Have you really studied the deadlift before? Please do.

Bako Lifter
03-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Ouch, take a couple plates off and learn how to deadlift.

geoffsherman
03-27-2009, 02:59 PM
(a) Congrats for doing real lifts like the deadlift
(b) Nobody's max effort is going to be a perfectly executed deadlift, you will probably have some rounding
(c) Make sure not to confuse looser form on a max effort pull with looser form on all of your deadlifts
(d) You do need to work on dropping your butt down and activiating your quads for the pull from the ground

Pitbull3291
03-27-2009, 03:01 PM
ouch was what i said when i was watching the video too.

i agree with bako

Chris Rodgers
03-27-2009, 03:39 PM
First off, congrats on the PR's. You seem like you have been working hard for your first 5 months in.

Now for all the form nazis, if I am watching the same videos that you guys are, then maybe you should not be giving out form advice in the powerlifting section. That is not terrible form. I realize everyone here hits their max effort attempts without struggling one bit and perfectly clean form like when someone demos a deadlift with 135 on the bar. Can his technique improve? Of course, I think all of ours can. To say he needs to take weight off and learn how to deadlift is just untrue.

I dunno, maybe it's the angle of the video and I am not seeing something that you guys are. Doesn't look terrible to me.

DGabe24
03-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Not perfect form....but whose is?

I was expecting much worse after reading all the comments before watching the video...

Notorious
03-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Try getting a video from the side next time. It's really hard to see what's going on.

The Sun
03-27-2009, 04:08 PM
thanks for the comments, for the form issue, this is a MAX EFFORT, my form slipped and I expected it to happen.

"have you ever learned the deadlift?"
I don't really believe I have to prove anything to anyone, but there's a 265 set for a 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufkx9Z2mFN4

The Sun
03-27-2009, 04:16 PM
on a second thought, I think it wasn't a good idea to post the videos, I wasn't expecting these kind of comments.

Chris - you said it, I honestly couldn't say it better way, though it wasn't necessary to "protect" me, lol :)

chris mason
03-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I am as far from a form Nazi as it gets, but I do think that you looked like you were close to injury at the beginning of that lift.

The Sun
03-27-2009, 04:25 PM
I am as far from a form Nazi as it gets, but I do think that you looked like you were close to injury at the beginning of that lift.

I can honestly tell you: I haven't felt the smallest possible pain, and I've gone through a lower back injury in the end of 2008, so I can tell if I was close to injury or not.

Beefcaker
03-27-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm personally not trying to bash anyone at all. I'm just saying that if you don't watch your form, you WILL, FOR SURE hurt yourself.

If you can't keep the form better than that, you need to quit adding weight at least until you perfect your form. I'd recommend practicing your form for a few sets of 20 at the end of your workouts until the kinks are worked out. We all have some part of our form that we can fix. None of us use perfect form all the time, especially on max lifts; but if your back curves too much, or you didn't get much leg into it and you think you might hurt yourself if you keep going, I'd think that maybe dropping the bar on the floor and resetting might not be a bad idea.

The Sun
03-27-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm personally not trying to bash anyone at all. I'm just saying that if you don't watch your form, you WILL, FOR SURE hurt yourself.

If you can't keep the form better than that, you need to quit adding weight at least until you perfect your form. I'd recommend practicing your form for a few sets of 20 at the end of your workouts until the kinks are worked out. We all have some part of our form that we can fix. None of us use perfect form all the time, especially on max lifts; but if your back curves too much, or you didn't get much leg into it and you think you might hurt yourself if you keep going, I'd think that maybe dropping the bar on the floor and resetting might not be a bad idea.

I hope you know there's no such thing as "no leg in it", since you can't really "pull" with your back, and the pelvis and the hamstrings are backing off the quads that failed - therefore you get a stiff-legged deadlift.

if you don't push yourself into a new RM1 PR every now and then you will not progress the way you want or think you can, and that is because RM1 efforts are important for you CNS to adapt to the load.

doing 20 a rep on any exercise for "getting the form" is dumb.

Beefcaker
03-27-2009, 04:58 PM
I can honestly tell you: I haven't felt the smallest possible pain, and I've gone through a lower back injury in the end of 2008, so I can tell if I was close to injury or not.

WHAT?? Your back injury must not have been very serious if it just happened recently and you are trying new PR's already. When people have pec tears, slipped disks, etc. they often don't feel anything wrong until BAM! and it happens.

Beefcaker
03-27-2009, 04:59 PM
I hope you know there's no such thing as "no leg in it", since you can't really "pull" with your back, and the pelvis and the hamstrings are backing off the quads that failed - therefore you get a stiff-legged deadlift.

if you don't push yourself into a new RM1 PR every now and then you will not progress the way you want or think you can, and that is because RM1 efforts are important for you CNS to adapt to the load.

doing 20 a rep on any exercise for "getting the form" is dumb.

There is no hope for you if you won't even consider that someone else isn't bashing you and really is trying to help. Good riddance.

edit - for the record, I don't mean that the 20 rep set is a working set. Use a fawkin' broomstick if you need to. Get the MOVEMENT down. You are telling me that the idea is dumb, but you have obviously never tried it.

It's obvious that you have done a lot of studying and are working very hard. A 340 DL is pretty good for 5 months ? of training, so that is still impressive. I'm just trying to help you with your form so you can keep progressing. But if you are that defensive when people try to help you, and most of them all agree with each other that something needs to be fixed, then your progress will only take longer and you may get hurt really bad.

The Sun
03-27-2009, 05:00 PM
WHAT?? Your back injury must not have been very serious if it just happened recently and you are trying new PR's already. When people have pec tears, slipped disks, etc. they often don't feel anything wrong until BAM! and it happens.

guess it wasn't that serious, perhaps just a very painful strain.
happened with a bad squat, 5 months ago approximately, when I just started and didn't know how to arch my back properly.

evilxxx
03-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Nice lifting! but I think it you had used more legs it could had gone up quicker.

rctriplefresh5
03-28-2009, 03:10 PM
First off, congrats on the PR's. You seem like you have been working hard for your first 5 months in.

Now for all the form nazis, if I am watching the same videos that you guys are, then maybe you should not be giving out form advice in the powerlifting section. That is not terrible form. I realize everyone here hits their max effort attempts without struggling one bit and perfectly clean form like when someone demos a deadlift with 135 on the bar. Can his technique improve? Of course, I think all of ours can. To say he needs to take weight off and learn how to deadlift is just untrue.

I dunno, maybe it's the angle of the video and I am not seeing something that you guys are. Doesn't look terrible to me.
lol i strain A lot more then he did in his videos, i think the op could do 400 pounds and get it up. i dont hitch but i do go to full out failure on dls max. i believe louie simmons said getting strong is dangerous or something like this ;)
people are way to critical on others deadlift form. i honestlly believe if you get the weight up with no hitching or ramping then you can round your upper and lower back till the cows come home. of course this isnt safe but ii do feel its elgit. in all honesty powerlifters justify arching their backs and only going to parallels as saying they do what they have to do to get the best leverages and put up the highest numbers. well, then if everyone else in competition was rounding their back would you just do a perfect form deadlift? i know iwouldnt but if you did you would most likely lose

for the record i do use my legs in the lift im just saying.

rctriplefresh5
04-01-2009, 08:59 PM
lol i strain A lot more then he did in his videos, i think the op could do 400 pounds and get it up. i dont hitch but i do go to full out failure on dls max. i believe louie simmons said getting strong is dangerous or something like this ;)
people are way to critical on others deadlift form. i honestlly believe if you get the weight up with no hitching or ramping then you can round your upper and lower back till the cows come home. of course this isnt safe but ii do feel its elgit. in all honesty powerlifters justify arching their backs and only going to parallels as saying they do what they have to do to get the best leverages and put up the highest numbers. well, then if everyone else in competition was rounding their back would you just do a perfect form deadlift? i know iwouldnt but if you did you would most likely lose

anybody have any thought on this i put a lot of into this roflmaos.

Kiknskreem
04-01-2009, 09:09 PM
anybody have any thought on this i put a lot of into this roflmaos.

Yes, it pretty much misses the point since the problem with the OP's deadlift is the fact that he's stiff legging his pull, not anything about a rounded back.

Hazerboy
04-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I agree with most of the above statements. Your butt comes up early on the beginning of the lift. Guess what? It happens to a lot of us. I do it some also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPZQvCSygrQ Hte only thing I can say to correct it is really keep the bar close to your body and pull BACK.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, by try bringing your arms in closer to your legs too. The wider your grip, the harder it is to hold on to the bar, and the farther you have to move the weight (try doing deadlifts with your hands on the collars for an exaggeration). With your stance I'd say you could benefit from putting your hands on the edge of the knurling, right close to the smooth part.

rctriplefresh5
04-02-2009, 05:36 PM
sup kik. do you know who this is ;)

and arent you allowed to stiff leg it in competitions?

Detard
04-02-2009, 08:55 PM

Go ahead and round your back all you want. I just hope you know what your doing.

On the other hand, I believe CR pulls this style, so check his videos if you want. He's got his **** down pat

Kiknskreem
04-02-2009, 08:57 PM
sup kik. do you know who this is ;)

and arent you allowed to stiff leg it in competitions?

You're not tallguy, are you?

Of course stiff legs are allowed in meets, but a SLDL is less efficient than a regular deadlift which allows the quads to make a real contribution to the lift.

It also puts your back in a disadvantaged position, making the lift more dangerous, especially at 1RM loads.

rctriplefresh5
04-02-2009, 11:55 PM
suppose. i dont stiff leg it but i do use a lot of back after it gets past my knees.

coldfire
04-03-2009, 05:35 AM
edit - for the record, I don't mean that the 20 rep set is a working set. Use a fawkin' broomstick if you need to. Get the MOVEMENT down. You are telling me that the idea is dumb, but you have obviously never tried it.

Have you ever taught anyone to deadlift? I want to see you teaching someone with a broomstick and 20 reps.

Broomstick will not produce the right movement. Even an empty bar wouldn't. It's not heavy enough.

Using 20 reps to get the form down doesn't make sense either. How do you expect to get the form down when you are busy thinking about being in pain? 10 sets of 2 might be a better idea.

Beefcaker
04-06-2009, 02:21 AM
You are missing the point. I don't really mean to do real sets. I just mean that you need to put a lighter weight on it that you can do reps with without tiring, and practice form. Put 185 on a bar and you can practice DL's with the correct form. Unless your max is 600 or something...

One of my friends DL's 315 for reps (into BB'ing though), and I am always trying to convince him to quit SLDL'ing and start using the quads more. If he did that, he'd do alot more weight.

I'd bet the OP could do 50lbs more with perfect form.

EDIT - and for the record, my form is NOT perfect. That still does not mean that I don't know a few things about the right form and fixing some of his problems. I had the same problems, and now I have other hitches to work on. Stifflegging it is a pretty big problem though (which I also used to do)