PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Tracking Calories

AJ_H
03-28-2009, 04:16 PM
So today I tracked my calories on CalorieKing and I came up with 4,654kcal. Thing is considering the amount I've eaten and the fact I've eaten more since then, it seems like I may have added it up wrong (overestimated the calories) which is why I'm checking here because I'm so useless at adding up calories. Also what I've eaten today has felt like maintenance. Someone who eats 4,654kcal+ on maintenance should weigh a lot more than me (155lbs). The main thing I think I might have done wrong was get the measurements right - for instance I did not know how many cups a bowl of cerreal was so I put down 4 cups.

Anyway here's what I put in to calorie king:
what I actually had / what I typed in / how many 'calories')

1 can of pepsi / 1 can of pepsi / 150kcal

1 bottle of juice / 2 cups(9.1 oz) / 242kcal

*2 peanut butter sandwhiches (please add together the bottom 2)*

2 slices of bread / 2 slices white bread (0.9 oz) / 133kcal

+4 tablespoons of peanut butter / + '4 x quantity (1 oz)' / 668kcal

2 chicken sandwiches / 1 chicken sandwich (because I had healthy chicken sandwiches, the one on here looked more calorie dense) 410kcal

1 bowl of macaroni cheese / 2 x package (10oz) (this one looked more unhealthy though) / 580kcal

*a large quantity of rice / 2 cups (6.6oz) / 484kcal

*curry that I made with chicken livers / 2 cups of normal chicken curry because calorie king doesn't cover liver in curries funnily enough (no measurement provided) / 680kcal

*I had a large plateful of curry and rice sorry I cannot be more specific*

1.5 pints of milk (yes I should drink more I know but slightly worried about cholesterol) / 0.75 x quart (2 pints) / 440kcal

6 pieces of shortbread / 6 x piece (0.7 oz) / 660kcal

1 bowl of crunchy oats / 1 x serving 1/2 cup / 210kcal (8oz)

Sorry for any confusion. If you are unclear or need more detail please ask.
Any help much appreciated,

Cheers - AH

VikingWarlord
03-28-2009, 04:21 PM
www.fitday.com is all you need to know. Buy yourself a digital food scale and measure everything.

AJ_H
03-28-2009, 04:27 PM
ok mate thanks for the site but I've just spent like an hour on calorieking - I'll check it out tommorow. do my measurements look about accurate? cheers AH

(p.s. I edited the extremely confusing post as the layout was completely different when I was typing it up so it did not look so confusing).

malkore
03-30-2009, 09:36 AM
www.fitday.com is all you need to know. Buy yourself a digital food scale and measure everything.

bingo. weigh it, or measure by volume depending on the food. estimations sucks until you've weighed 5oz of chicken breast 100x and only then can you reasonably eye-ball it.

VikingWarlord
03-30-2009, 09:47 AM
bingo. weigh it, or measure by volume depending on the food. estimations sucks until you've weighed 5oz of chicken breast 100x and only then can you reasonably eye-ball it.

Weigh everything solid. Measuring solids by volume is horribly inaccurate. 1C of packed white flour can weigh 2-3oz more than 1C of sifted white flour. Still a cup by volume but radically different amounts.