PDA

View Full Version : Counting Calories? protein, carbs, fat

dd2000
03-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi all,

I'm wondering if you all count calories and grams of fat, protein and carbs to achieve max results? I'm 190 lbs...how many calories should I consume in a day and how much protein, carbs, fat, etc must I consume in a day if I want to pack on muscle, mass and size? What would I have to consume if I want to get ripped/cut without losing muscle mass?

Thanks much

Pimpstick
03-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Many members count calories. I am not too strict about it, but mentally I'm always tallying what I eat during the day (I'm an accountant so it's easier for me than some).

Nobody can tell you how many calories you need to eay, there are too many variables. Track you cals for a month, average them by day, and determine your weight gain or loss. That will tell you what you need to eat to gain/lose weight.

MadScientist
03-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Depends on many factors including your metabolism, etc.

You would want to first calculate your maintenance calories. Meaning how many cals you need to keep weight steady.

Say yours is 3200. To gain mass you would want, ideally, more than this.
When I bulk I tend to increase cals by 750-1000, which allows me to gain a lot of mass very quickly, but I add a moderate amount of fat as well. As I gain mass during a bulk, my maintenance cals increase (because I weigh more), which then means I need to increase my cals during the bulk.

When I cut I tend to only cut 200 or so calories, which makes my cut cycle take longer, but I risk losing less mass than someone who cuts a large amount of calories.

That is, considering numbers are numbers, which they arent.

Bulking, its fine to add a good deal of fat, carbs, tons of protein.
On a cut, normally one will reduce carbs and increase protein and keep a moderate amount of fat.

I normally DONT count calories. I let the scale tell me whats happening, if it isnt going up, pack more on during a bulk.

VikingWarlord
03-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Most people do count calories when they start. Some people eventually feel comfortable enough to gauge based on how they feel and if things start to go in a direction you don't want, reign it in. Other people prefer to stick with the strict control method because there's less guesswork involved.

Most people will recommend you keep close track of your intake for a while just to get a good baseline measurement.

Kal el
03-29-2009, 12:13 PM
i find to gain weight you should do the following sum

bodyweight in lbs x 15-20 = amount of calories per day to gain weight

if 15 has not effect try 16 and so on.