PDA

View Full Version : Mixing sugar with post-workout shake

ArrivalSS
03-29-2009, 01:39 PM
I was told recently (by an experienced bodybuilder) that I should mix two parts whey protein and one part sugar with about 8oz of water for my post-workout shake. It was explained to me that your body cannot absorb the protein as well with milk, therefore water should be used. Also, the sugar should be used only after workouts so it will boost your insulin levels. In the past I would just do it, but now I'm in my early 30's and I'm trying to watch what I eat, so I don't really want to just dump a few a half cup of sugar into my body for no reason.

Do any of you do this; heard of doing this; think it's a good idea; a load of bs?? What are your thoughts/opinions?

VikingWarlord
03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
The milk vs water part doesn't make a difference. Fat can hinder absorption but if you use skim milk, that's not a problem. Skim milk has protein and sugar in it already.

I've never heard 2 parts protein to 1 part sugar though. It's usually the other way around. I would always just use 3 scoops of Powerade powder and 1 scoop of protein post-WO to get 53gC and 24gP.

Honestly, you very likely aren't going to notice any difference. Any amount of fast digesting carbohydrate with protein is going to help.

whiteman90909
03-29-2009, 02:15 PM
The milk vs water part doesn't make a difference. Fat can hinder absorption but if you use skim milk, that's not a problem. Skim milk has protein and sugar in it already.
This.

I've never heard 2 parts protein to 1 part sugar though. It's usually the other way around. I would always just use 3 scoops of Powerade powder and 1 scoop of protein post-WO to get 53gC and 24gP.

and this.

Honestly, you very likely aren't going to notice any difference. Any amount of fast digesting carbohydrate with protein is going to help.
but really this.

MadScientist
03-29-2009, 02:30 PM
I wouldnt mix sugar with anything, you do want simple carbs to boost insulin levels but not white sugar. (then again some white sugar would be better than nothing)

Something like orange juice or apple juice would be better. Lactose, Fructose, are more healthy than sucrose.

MadScientist
03-29-2009, 02:37 PM
However I will experiment with this tomorrow (today is an off day)

How much white sugar are you adding? 30g sufficient for my experiment?

Mercuryblade
03-29-2009, 03:02 PM
I wouldnt mix sugar with anything, you do want simple carbs to boost insulin levels but not white sugar. (then again some white sugar would be better than nothing)

Something like orange juice or apple juice would be better. Lactose, Fructose, are more healthy than sucrose.

Sucrose (white sugar) is a fructose attached to a glucose. Fructose has to be processed in the liver, glucose goes right into the blood stream, why would you want fructose post work out?

VikingWarlord
03-29-2009, 05:29 PM

Most people here use dextrose. The Powerade I used used maltodextrin.

I can't even imagine trying to down that much sucrose. I do believe I'd hurl.

ArrivalSS
03-29-2009, 06:38 PM
However I will experiment with this tomorrow (today is an off day)

How much white sugar are you adding? 30g sufficient for my experiment?

Yeah, about 30g.

Brad08
03-29-2009, 07:08 PM
The milk vs water part doesn't make a difference. Fat can hinder absorption but if you use skim milk, that's not a problem.

Interestingly, milk fats aren't necessarily a bad thing even in a postworkout drink:

In one acute study, both fat free and whole milk were shown to improve protein synthesis following training; the whole milk worked better although the researchers weren’t sure why.

Chocolate milk anyone?

For large athletes who need a large amount of carbohydrates or protein following training, milk may not be an ideal way of getting it. A typical 8-oz serving of milk contains roughly 12 grams of carbohydrates and 8 grams of protein. A large resistance training athlete might need 4-5X that many nutrients following training and drinking that much milk may not be feasible.

A compromise solution might be to use milk as a base and add extra nutrients (such as maltodextrin or dextrose powder for carbs and protein powder for protein) to achieve a higher nutrient density than milk itself can provide. So 16 oz. (2 cups) of milk with extra carbs/protein would get the benefits of milk along with sufficient nutrients for larger athletes to recovery.

Link (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-the-new-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html)

ArrivalSS
03-30-2009, 06:08 AM
Most people here use dextrose. The Powerade I used used maltodextrin.

I have read that honey can be a good alternative to dextrose. Is there any other good ones?

VikingWarlord
03-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Honey is expensive when compared to...well, pretty much anything. Dextrose is cheap and people use it because the taste isn't as sweet as table sugar so you can load up with it and not want to vomit. Same with maltodextrin.

malkore
03-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I have read that honey can be a good alternative to dextrose. Is there any other good ones?

Honey is not comparable to dextrose. Honey is fructose and sucrose...not 'fast' enough.

Dextrose and maltodextrine are they way to go. glucose is also good but dextrose is a lot cheaper and easier to find.
i get mine from a local homebrew shop. corn sugar = dextrose.

MadScientist
03-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Ive read that lactose doesnt boost insulin nearly as much as sucrose or fructose

In the past I have used this...

But Maltodextrin doesnt ramp up insulin either if I remember correctly

7 Lbs.
Serving Size1/2Cup(50g)
Servings Per Container63
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 190
Total Carbohydrate 47g 15%*
Sugars 2g †
Carbo Powder 50g †
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
† Daily Value not established
Ingredients
100% Pure Maltodextrin From Corn
Contains No Salt, Yeast, Wheat, Gluten, Soy, Milk Or Preservatives.

NOW Presents:
Carbo Gain
100% Complex Carbohydrates!

Supports Sustained Energy/Endurance Levels And Weight Gain!
NOW Carbo Gain is a 100% pure complex carbohydrate supplement derived from maltodextrin, an easily digestible blend of complex carbohydrates from corn starch. Maltodextrin contains "glucose polymers", linked sugar compounds that are easier for the body to assimilate and use. Glucose polymers are metabolized at a slow, steady rate that can help to sustain energy levels during endurance-oriented workouts and/or athletic events and support weight gain. Carbo Gain contains virtually no protein, fat or fiber and is a convenient source of energy for active individuals.

Order today using our 100% secure server and get it at the lowest prices in the world with our fast, inexpensive 2 - 3 day shipping! NOBODY beats our overall price!

7 Lbs.
$16.99 [Order]

VikingWarlord
03-30-2009, 09:46 AM
But Maltodextrin doesnt ramp up insulin either if I remember correctly

You are correct. It raises it but won't spike like most other sugars will.

MadScientist
03-30-2009, 09:49 AM
This is interesting, I like this thread, I am willing to try drinking anything!

MadScientist
03-30-2009, 09:59 AM
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/dextrose.htm

Dextrose & Maltodextrin an in-depth analysis

An article stating you should consume a combination of dextrose, matodextrin, and creatine

Holto
03-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Always liked the 50/50 dex + malto. Went as high at 150g's after leg days on a regular basis.

MadScientist
03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Always liked the 50/50 dex + malto. Went as high at 150g's after leg days on a regular basis.

Youre a beast! Im sold, going to vitamin shoppe for some more carbo gain and dextrose!

And some creatine! And some raw unfiltered apple cider vineagar! And some blood of christians!

VikingWarlord
03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Youre a beast! Im sold, going to vitamin shoppe for some more carbo gain and dextrose!

And some creatine! And some raw unfiltered apple cider vineagar! And some blood of christians!

The blood of kittens is 57.9% more anabolic, but only if you suck it directly out of the neck hole.

MadScientist
03-31-2009, 07:35 AM
Do you chew the pituitary or swallow whole?

VikingWarlord
03-31-2009, 09:51 AM
I don't bother with the pituitary. In a kitten, it's too small to matter.

MadScientist
03-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Do you swallow the kitten whole or use a blender?