PDA

View Full Version : is this how it goes....

One_Vision
04-14-2001, 01:26 PM
Example:

200 lb. guy
20%bf
3,000 calorie metabolism rate

20%bf equals about 40 lbs. of fat. Which equals 140,000 fat calories. I read somewhere that 1 lb. of muscle only needs approimately 50 calories to maintain. I don't know if this is for sure though....

Then why is it so hard for people to gain muscle while losing fat?? Can't the muscle your building use fat as a fuel source? I'm thinkin with your 3,000 calorie maintance diet everyday with your 140,000 cals in reserve, isn't that enough to gain muscle.

I have a feeling I'm missing something....please add to...

body
04-14-2001, 06:59 PM
why would the body want to use your fat storage as a fuel. the body is desinged for survival so if it thinks it not consuming enough cals then it will keep fat up incase of famine so you live longer while muscle use up approx 40 times more energy so you would quickly die.
this is why people debate that if drug free you can gain muscle and loose body fat at the same time as this is not suited for survival. but 3,000 cals may be enough to gain muscle on anyway but not as quickly as eg 4,000 cals.

Yaz
04-15-2001, 07:55 AM
3000 cals for a 200 lb guy? I'm not sure how much you expect to gain from that.

I feel like Cackerot now. I'm at 153, eating upwards of 4000-4500 cals/day and not gaining a pound. Somebody shoot me.

One_Vision
04-15-2001, 08:23 AM
Yaz.....I just put some numbers together to show an example. Those aren't my stats.

Azn Sensation
04-15-2001, 08:30 AM
I totally agree with "body" on this one.
Our bodies use fat AND muscle as an alternative fuel source in times of famine. It amazing how our bodies adjust to things. For example, if you were to decrease calories alot to lose weight, the longer you diet the more harder it becomes to lose the fat because your body has ADAPTED and lowered its metabolism. Thats why you always hear about people being stuck with the last 10 pounds or the gain all the wieght back because they go back to their past eating habits to fast and dont give enough time for theire body to adjust in the increase of calories.
If your trying to gain muscle or lost fat, I suggest you pick ONE, to be more effective. Either bulk or cut, with higher calores or lower calories. After that stage, swithc to the other. Its more effective that way.

One_Vision
04-15-2001, 08:39 AM
Yes, I know you should decide either to "bulk" or to "cut". Yet, I never really knew the reasoning behind it.
Thanks to all who responded.