PDA

View Full Version : If you were to go on a cut

Guitar90
03-30-2009, 06:16 AM
And eat ridiculously low calorie meals, but drink loads of protein shakes (water, not milk based), could you cut while building muscle?

Sorry if this has been asked or discussed before, nothing came up when I searched.

Pimpstick
03-30-2009, 06:42 AM
it's called psmf, and no.

J.C.
03-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Well if the question is "can you lose fat at the same time as building muscle?", then the answer is yes, absolutely, it just depends on a lot of variables. You want to keep calories fairly near maintenance, protein high and meals regular.

MadScientist
03-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Agreed. Choose to build muscle or cut. Try both and you'll probably do neither.

Building muscle you will almost always gain some fat

Cutting you will almost always lose some muscle

Pimpstick
03-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Well if the question is "can you lose fat at the same time as building muscle?", then the answer is yes, absolutely, it just depends on a lot of variables. You want to keep calories fairly near maintenance, protein high and meals regular.

Read his question again. The answer is an obvious no.

MadScientist
03-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Low cal meals and you wont gain muscle, you need an excess of material to build anything.

Recomping has its place, but dont expect many gains, you would then be lucky to drop fat while maintaining muscle.
And recomping usually takes much longer than a normal bulk or cut cycle.

IMO just run a bulk cycle, then run a cut cycle a few weeks later.

Unreal
03-30-2009, 08:21 AM
The calorie is king. If your maintence is 2000 and your eating 500 cals in meals but 2000 in protein shakes your still going to put on weight.

VikingWarlord
03-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Low cal meals and you wont gain muscle, you need an excess of material to build anything.

Recomping has its place, but dont expect many gains, you would then be lucky to drop fat while maintaining muscle.
And recomping usually takes much longer than a normal bulk or cut cycle.

IMO just run a bulk cycle, then run a cut cycle a few weeks later.

Really it only takes a little longer than it would take to bulk and then cut.

If you bulk relatively clean for 4 months and cut nice and slow for 8, you wouldn't be that far off by following a recomp plan for a year.

As for the OP, pimpstick is right. It's been tried by people on Lyle's board, who ate 1600 kCal a day but also had like 350gP and didn't get very far.

ZenMonkey
03-30-2009, 08:27 AM

If you bulk relatively clean for 4 months and cut nice and slow for 8, you wouldn't be that far off by following a recomp plan for a year.

:withstupi:

MadScientist
03-30-2009, 09:35 AM

As for the OP, pimpstick is right. It's been tried by people on Lyle's board, who ate 1600 kCal a day but also had like 350gP and didn't get very far.

My post said bulk or cut not bulk and cut.

My longest true bulk was 2 months as I refuse to buy a new wardrobe, for my newly gained fat ass, every bulk. Then again I bulk 1000-1500 kcals above maintenance, so I am sure to catch a bit of the pudge.

IMO 200-400 kcals above maint is not a bulk, its a recomp. And as you add LBM your maint will increase, so either you increase cals gradually, or you are really on a recomp.

And cutting for 8 months? That would be classified as a lifestyle and not a cycle.

Bulk - 2mo? Or whenever you hit your target LBM
Pause - 2-4 weeks
Cut - depends on your BF, 1-2 weeks per -1% BF, goal - single digit? I usually stop at 9-10% BF.

VikingWarlord
03-30-2009, 09:45 AM
My post said bulk or cut not bulk and cut.

I transposed what people ask most of the time onto your response. Most people here want to bulk so they can then cut so they can look. A recomp is maintaining a similar weight while changing the composition. Kind of like increasing LBM and decreasing fat.

Since the OP was asking about losing fat and increasing LBM, I mistakenly thought he was interested in losing fat and increasing LBM.

And cutting for 8 months? That would be classified as a lifestyle and not a cycle.

I wasn't aware there was such a clear definition of what is a cycle vs a lifestyle. I would imagine a lifestyle is what you do, you know, for your entire life as opposed to a predetermined period of time after which you're not doing it anymore.

That's like saying "I'm going to be gay now, but only until September." Any time you do something differently, you're making a lifestyle change. Bulking for 2 months requires you to change your lifestyle for those two months.

MadScientist
03-30-2009, 10:34 AM
That's like saying "I'm going to be gay now, but only until September." Any time you do something differently, you're making a lifestyle change. Bulking for 2 months requires you to change your lifestyle for those two months.

LMFAO, youre right! But I dont want to see any gay bulk logs!

BTW we should battle sometime with giant axes in a longboat, it would be epic!