PDA

View Full Version : Broken Ankle!!

oct6454
03-30-2009, 11:06 AM
hi, i just unfortunately broke my ankle playing basketball. With football season rapidly approaching i run the risk of loosing lower body muscle mass. What are some ideas for keeping my legs strength up, as i can no longer squat or clean for six weeks.

Pimpstick
03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Steak.

Mike G
03-30-2009, 11:48 AM
hi, i just unfortunately broke my ankle playing basketball. With football season rapidly approaching i run the risk of loosing lower body muscle mass. What are some ideas for keeping my legs strength up, as i can no longer squat or clean for six weeks.

You could do leg extensions and leg curls, just to keep some blood flowing. Personally, it's only six weeks and while is sucks to lose time, I'd rather play it safe and make sure everything heals right. You'll still have a few months to get your strength back and then some.

vdizenzo
03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Ask your pt.

BigRic
03-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Welcome to the club. I've been out over 4 months already, although my injury was probably a little bit more gruesome. I had a cominuted spiral fracture of the distal fibula and also dislocated my ankle at the time. I had a surgery to install a plate and screws and just recently had 2 syndesmosis screws removed. Once you can start walking again (you may already be walking) you should be safe to do hamstring curls and leg extensions on a machine. I'd do one leg rather than both so you can work more slowly with the injured leg. Good luck.

oct6454
03-30-2009, 02:52 PM
How much of the muscle will i loose in those six or so weeks?

BigRic
03-30-2009, 04:17 PM
You'll probably notice the biggest difference in your calf depending on the time that you can't bear weight for. i was non weight bearing for about 5 or 6 weeks.