PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast shakes.. thoughts?

Malice
03-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum for this so I apologise if it is not.

Do any of you make your own shakes for breakfast? I never really have time for a decent breakfast in the morning and recently have been substituting this with a protein shake before work, is this bad?

What would you recommend putting in the shakes? Ive seen a few recipes that use yogurt and fruit are these sort any good for giving the right "good calories" in the morning?

Are these sorts of shakes the sort of thing I can have a couple of throughout the day to count towards one of my meals to help speed up my metabolism? Im trying to lose weight and am useless at eating regularly due to the inconvenience of being at work etc and am trying to find the best method to boost my metabolism.

Thanks.

given'er
03-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Shakes are fine for B-fast. Put anything you want into it,protien, yogurt, fruit, milk, eggs. It can get expensive if you rely on shakes for most of your meals though. Most guys on this site will tell you that boosting your metabolism by eating frequant small meals is a myth. Bottom line is if you want to loose weight you need to be burning more calories during the day than you are consuming no matter when or what you eat.

whiteman90909
03-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Bottom line is if you want to loose weight you need to be burning more calories during the day than you are consuming no matter when or what you eat.

That's pretty much it.

As long as shakes fit into your macros, they're fine. Some people prefer solid meals while cutting though, as they tend to be more filling and keep you satisfied longer, which is important whilst cutting.

cphafner
03-30-2009, 08:43 PM
I put milk, 2 scoops protein, ~8 strawberries, banana, and olive oil in mine. Pretty tasty.

I saw another one recently with coffee, yogurt, and choc protein. That sounded good to me too.

MadScientist
03-31-2009, 07:41 AM
32 oz fat free or 1% milk
1-2 cups fat free unflavored yogurt
2 scoops walmart whey (52g pro 6g carb 6g fat or so)
2 tbsp ground flax seeds
3g creatine (optional)
5g taurine (optional)
5g glutamine (optional)

You can add maltodextrin for lasting energy. NOW makes a 7lb jug for like 13 bucks. I have done this years ago and going to start doing it again tomorrow.

Sometimes a banana or two when Im not eating a fiber one bar.

ArrivalSS
03-31-2009, 08:51 AM
If I'm in a hurry, I'll mix...

8-10 oz of 1% milk
2 scoops of chocolate ON whey protein
1-2 scoops of oats ground in a coffee bean grinder (for better consistency)

Throw it all in a shaker, shake the hell out of it, and your good!

Holto
03-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Last two years I've done:

200mls of 18% fat cream (currently using 35%)
500mls of Vanilla Soy
2 scoops of whey
2 teaspoons of psyllium fiber

Incredibly filling and quick and easy.

MadScientist
03-31-2009, 11:22 AM
I used to throw steak and raw eggs in the blender until I got salmonella from eggshells and had to replace most of my boxers.
Never did the raw egg thing again.

Though I might try a few hardboiled eggs in the blender, im sure they would blend up fine.

The steak is a bad idea because the gristle doesnt blend and it gets stuck in your teeth, but it tastes good.

Malice
03-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Great feedback, thanks guys.

Think im gunna try:

Get some high carb vanilla protein powder
Low fat yoghurt
Bananas

Maybe add some creatine

What are the benefits of 2 teaspoons of psyllium fibre and 2 tbsp ground flax seeds?

Never thought of blending meat.. How would blended chicken breast work mixed with fruit/yoghurt?

If I was to use oats would standard porridge oats work or would it need to be baked oats sorts of cereals?

Raw eggs have never been something id like to try lol :D Alot of people seem to rate them though..

MadScientist
03-31-2009, 01:24 PM
ground flax seeds are great:

lowers cholesterol
Omega 3's/unsaturated fat
High Fiber
Cheap at walmart
antioxidants

Chicken works, if you cook it first. It should blend fine and want really add any taste.

What kind of oats doesnt matter,
I have even used oatmeal packets, or oats from the big cardboard jar dealyroos.

If you really care what it tastes like, then you'll never get the full benefit from eating. Most of the time I eat so much all day i feel like puking every minute and I hate food with a passion, so I really could care less if it tasted like an old shoe, if it would make me bigger I would blend it up.

Malice
04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Cheers for all the input. Ive been shopping and made the following and it tastes amazing:

handful of fresh organic blueberrys
chopped up organic bannana
large tub of rasberry pro biotic yoghurt (3.2g of fat in it)
tablespoon of ground flax seeds
2 scoops of bannana whey protein
large cup of milled oats
about half a litre of pure berry juice

Ive bought a few different types of yoghurt to play with including un flavoured low fat.

Total volume is about 1l so a bit much for 1 serving, would this concoction be ok to leave in the fridge for a day or perhaps even freeze?

MadScientist
04-02-2009, 08:34 AM
The juice might make for too many simple sugars for a breakfast shake. Fine for pre or post workout. I would leave out the juice and add more milk, maybe some maltodextrin.

Fridge it, it would be fine for even 2-3 days

Malice
04-02-2009, 02:15 PM
conclusion:

amazed at how much impact this had on my energy levels today at the gym, seriously didnt think it would have so much impact.

much respect for the input, especially frank :)

MadScientist
04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Cheers to success!
:burger: