PDA

View Full Version : Need help with shirt

AFstud066
03-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I compete in the uspf....I am going 242 this meet and I am using the angled sleeve katana .....I have been using this shirt for a good 10-15 sessions...problem is I cant seem to get anything to touch...I have wet the seams down and still have problems. I have a meet on the 18th and I am getting worried I wont be able to touch. I had 635 on today and got it to about a half inch away and I feel like I am going to pass out. I know its from holding my breath but is there anyway to get around this feeling?

Thanks Guys

SGT ROCK
03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
With what information you gave us, have you tried lowering the weight a bit FASTER? Also the last inch or so before you touch, think CHEST TO THE BAR, not BAR TO THE CHEST, super ARCH up to get the chest up to meet the bar.

Semper Fi

evilxxx
03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
How wide is your grip? How is your arch? I used to bench flat with a fury but in the last 4 months been practicing to set up with a high arch and the range of motion have gone down a lot...can't wait to do it with the shirt on. Looking fwd for others to give some input since my next shirt is gonna be a Katana A/S

AFstud066
03-30-2009, 08:11 PM
With what information you gave us, have you tried lowering the weight a bit FASTER? Also the last inch or so before you touch, think CHEST TO THE BAR, not BAR TO THE CHEST, super ARCH up to get the chest up to meet the bar.

Semper Fi

Thanks ROCK...ill try that...that may be the key...I also am not sure if you can lift your head in the USPF but that has always helped to touch things easier....does anyone know about that? I will also try to bring the weight down faster, this damn shirt just holds everything back up to about 650 -660 then it comes down quicker

Travis Bell
03-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Do you have any video of your benching?

If it's that close, it's probably as easy as pulling the shirt on and seating it a little more in the arm pits.

Instead of losing control, I'd probably recommend really pulling your shoulder blades in together as tight as you can. Tuck your elbows a little more. Many people as they get closer to touching tend to flatten out their upper back. This flattens your arch out a little and increases the range of motion, making it harder to touch.

Just be sure these things stay in place when bringing the bar down faster. Faster down is definately good, provided the above things stay in place

DrDudley-Robey
03-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Along with all the above, try moving the neck line up a half inch and floating the bar down toward your belly a little bit.

AFstud066
03-30-2009, 09:13 PM
ok thanks....I know that my arch is terrible...I have no video, but I will try and get one either thursday if I shirt again or wait until monday and then you can check it out....I could probably get it seated into my pits a little better...any good way to do this? I always just thought it got seated after you warmed up.

MarcusWild
03-30-2009, 09:43 PM
You can lift your head in the USPF.