PDA

View Full Version : My APT Apex review

Brian C
03-30-2009, 10:20 PM
So today I finally got to try my new single ply Apex. At first look the chest plate is very small making me a little nervous. I attempted to put it on myself as I heard a lot of feedback of how easy it is to put on, but I still had a little trouble. The sleeves slid on suprisingly easy and I got the shirt over my head and down, but I still needed help setting as I couldnt get my sleeves pulled up far enough. A few tugs and I was good. The shirt is pretty comfortable and doesnt constrict your breathing. The sleeves seemed a little loose at the elbows which also was concerning about how much support they will give. I warmed up before putting the shirt on to 355 and decided to to start with my raw 1 rm of 385. As soon as I took the bar, I could feel the support of the sleeves hooking up around my tris. I found the groove pretty quickly which is higher on the chest than my Rage X which was a little weird, but not to bad(more like a raw bench). I got the bar down to about a 4 board and couldnt get it any further. It shot up like nothing. I then wet it down pretty good and tried 415. It seemed to dip a little lower this time, closer to a 3 board, and again it shot up. This shirt has pretty good pop in midrange. A little more water and I threw on 455. I really tried to create an even bigger arch and moved my grip out to index on the rings hoping to get the bar down. This time I got to about a 2 board and got it up without much trouble. I think because the groove is higher up, I really have to concentrate on a bigger arch. I was still feeling good so I put on 475. I took the bar a tiny bit down further on the chest and was still about a 2 board. Again, it went up fairly well. I called it a day. Im really happy with the shirt as it has outstanding support even though its very deceiving at first. The stretchy material on the back makes it a lot easier to get on, but some help is still needed. A little more time getting used to the higher groove and getting it to touch and im sure ill be hiting 500+ in no time. I just hope that it gets approved this year for some upcoming meets. Anyway, thanks for reading and get stronger.

chris mason
03-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Good stuff! Thanks for the review.

Brian Hopper
03-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Nice review! When do you plan on wearing the shirt again?

Eric Downey
03-31-2009, 02:58 AM
I'd like to try one. Just don't have the extra cash to buy a new shirt I may or may not like. And I don't need one.

Brian C
03-31-2009, 08:37 AM
Nice review! When do you plan on wearing the shirt again?

Ill probably get into it again Sunday. I want to break it in, but I have a meet on May 23, and until its approved by USAPL and WABDL, I dont want to stray too far from my Rage X. Hopefully its approved soon.

Travis Bell
03-31-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm always really curious when a new shirt comes out. Very interesting to me

The one thing I have noticed is nobody I have seen has touched in one yet. I'm sure the shirt needs to be out a little longer and people will figure it out.

Brian C
03-31-2009, 09:43 AM
The one thing I have noticed is nobody I have seen has touched in one yet. I'm sure the shirt needs to be out a little longer and people will figure it out.

Only touch ive seen so far
Iv9qYEJqyIo

Brian C
03-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Hmm, no vid. Heres the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9qYEJqyIo&feature=player_embedded

=Travis=
03-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Seems there was a link on that video Brian C posted to a review http://www.criticalbench.com/APEX-bench-press-shirt.htm where I guess one dude cut the back and touched. I couldn't tell from the review if the other guy used the cut open shirt or not.

scott rowe
03-31-2009, 10:00 AM
my 2 cents on that video is he touch over 100 pounds less then he maxed out with. is theshirt to loose on him? sleeves looked short, is that by design?

Brian C
03-31-2009, 10:17 AM
my 2 cents on that video is he touch over 100 pounds less then he maxed out with. is theshirt to loose on him? sleeves looked short, is that by design?

The back is cut on his shirt, but with the type of material used on the back,its very stretchy and I dont believe it would make too much of a difference either way.

Travis Bell
03-31-2009, 10:29 AM

Might just be the material. I can touch 675 in my SDP and have benched 770 in the gym, 835 off a 2brd so it really more depends on technique and the given shirt.

I did notice the sleeve length though. That is certainly much shorter. I noticed he really slowed bout halfway, yet still locked it out. I know I do that sometimes though even with my longer sleeves

Good video though! Be interesting to see what other ones come out.

Brian C
03-31-2009, 02:23 PM
I just got done talking with Alan from APT and he is going to send me a size bigger shirt, as long as I do a review for him. Pretty good trade off. They are still trying to get the sizing right since its a new shirt. So I will post another review soon hopefully with vid once I get the new one.

Rob Luyando
04-01-2009, 07:55 AM
I have been back in the gyms and my stealth bench press shirt by haines is working rather well open back or closed I can touch real light weight and still lock it out.:strong:

allan3
08-29-2009, 02:15 PM
i love my apt apex, the best shirt i have, and i have a few...

robchris
08-30-2009, 09:42 PM
i love my apt apex, the best shirt i have, and i have a few...

Allen,

I'm considering buying a single-ply APEX... Whats the groove like in this shirt?

Also, whats the material like? Is it similar to a Katana(stiff) or more stretchy like a inzer phenom?

Thanks,
RC

Clifford Gillmore
08-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Our 165 guy in the gym has one and the chest plate is rediculously small, he still gets into it in about a minute - but couldn't get 350 to touch.

KarlMarx
08-31-2009, 09:07 AM
I have been back in the gyms and my stealth bench press shirt by haines is working rather well open back or closed I can touch real light weight and still lock it out.:strong:

LOL, everybody is going American Apparel for their bench shirts now! Haven't you heard!

Brian C
08-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Allen,

I'm considering buying a single-ply APEX... Whats the groove like in this shirt?

Also, whats the material like? Is it similar to a Katana(stiff) or more stretchy like a inzer phenom?

Thanks,
RC

Groove is pretty wide. I've touched high around the nipple line and as low as my second ab. The chest plate is very small, and takes some weight to touch. I touch around 475.

Brian C
08-31-2009, 11:11 AM
..and the material is very stiff

robchris
08-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Brain,

Thanks man! I think I'm gonna give it a try... They are out of Va. so the turn around should only be 2-3 days via UPS.

allan3
08-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Allen,

Thanks,
RC

it seems to have a bit of a higher groove, for example, my super katana requires me to touch in the upper ab area, the apt has me touching about 1.5 inches higher or so, but it maybe how i have it jacked...im 'new' to shirts, but have a collection already, and i must say the apt is better (imo) then my metal, fury, super k, and f6. the material is more like a super katana, the arms are looser(good for me) and the chest plate seems smaller--- the shirt gives me more pop then my 2 ply metal pro viking bencher...

NickAus
08-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Sounds like an awesome single ply shirt.

NickAus
08-31-2009, 06:40 PM
it seems to have a bit of a higher groove, for example, my super katana requires me to touch in the upper ab area, the apt has me touching about 1.5 inches higher or so, but it maybe how i have it jacked...im 'new' to shirts, but have a collection already, and i must say the apt is better (imo) then my metal, fury, super k, and f6. the material is more like a super katana, the arms are looser(good for me) and the chest plate seems smaller--- the shirt gives me more pop then my 2 ply metal pro viking bencher...

I found the Viking to have an easy groove but not much pop as you said.

robchris
08-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Allan,

Very good info... I'm definitely gonna get me one.

BTW, do you know if they're IPF approved yet?

Thx. RC

Ben Moore
08-31-2009, 11:46 PM
I've been using the Apex single for a while now and like it alot. I'll have the 2 ply in about 3 weeks and will review that one then.

NickAus
08-31-2009, 11:51 PM
I've been using the Apex single for a while now and like it alot. I'll have the 2 ply in about 3 weeks and will review that one then.

Please do, love reading shirt reviews!
Double ply Apex sounds strong.
Can't wait to hear about the new Overkill shirts finally!

Brian C
09-01-2009, 07:20 AM
I couldn't be more happy with mine. I retired my rage x. I like the fact that no one really knows anything about it yet. Once it catches on, I think people will be hooked

allan3
09-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Allan,

Very good info... I'm definitely gonna get me one.

BTW, do you know if they're IPF approved yet?

Thx. RC

i dont know if they are, but i emailed rich peters from NASA and asked if i could use the single ply apt apex, and he told me yes...

allan3
09-01-2009, 06:18 PM
i dont know if these will show up, but here is my dad (53yrs old) wearing my apex, and then hitting a 315. my dad hasnt lifted weights in like 9 yrs!! now he is getting back into it- which is cool!! i emailed apt and thanked him for such a great product. thats me spotting him, he shot it right up- no probs!! his 1st time ever in a shirt, and he loves it. that says a lot for this shirt.

Ben Moore
09-01-2009, 10:27 PM
i dont know if these will show up, but here is my dad (53yrs old) wearing my apex, and then hitting a 315. my dad hasnt lifted weights in like 9 yrs!! now he is getting back into it- which is cool!! i emailed apt and thanked him for such a great product. thats me spotting him, he shot it right up- no probs!! his 1st time ever in a shirt, and he loves it. that says a lot for this shirt.

That kicks ass.

Brian C
09-02-2009, 10:27 AM

Very cool stuff.

Just to add, the only complaint I hear about the shirt is that its too short. Im a midget though, so its no prob for me.

allan3
09-02-2009, 05:38 PM
it does seem a tad short. i just put on a big t-shirt over it when im at a gym, or at home i just let my gut hang out :-D

Ryano
09-02-2009, 06:01 PM

Haahaaa. I'm 53 also!(Will be 54 this month) Looks like I have some more competition. Just from the looks of it, that shirt is WAY to big for him. Us old guys like the shirts 'cause they decrease the pain in the shoulders.

allan3
09-02-2009, 06:11 PM
LOL! i dont see him hittin a 815 3board, but ya never know, i seen em do 455 raw in about 1994 or so, but he has not even lifted ONCE since like 2000. the shirt is big for him. he weighs about 240, i weigh 290, he just was spottin me and asked if he could try it- now he is gonna start lifting again praise The Lord.

Ryano
09-02-2009, 06:25 PM
LOL! i dont see him hittin a 815 3board, but ya never know, i seen em do 455 raw in about 1994 or so, but he has not even lifted ONCE since like 2000. the shirt is big for him. he weighs about 240, i weigh 290, he just was spottin me and asked if he could try it- now he is gonna start lifting again praise The Lord.

Congrats. It will be great that you can lift together and learn together. My son is training Muay Thai. I ain't doing that **** with him. I'm to old and fat. PL is much more my speed.

allan3
09-02-2009, 06:54 PM
my dad got me into lifting when i was 12, and now im 30, stuck with it my whole life- i love it!! now he's gettin back into it because of me, so it has worked out well.