PDA

View Full Version : Summer Baseball Workout Critique

XFacta82
03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Here is my schedule for this summer and my baseball workouts. If you have any suggestions, thoughts, criticisms, let me know.
Right now I am 6'3" and weight around 200 lbs. I am a pitcher.
My main goal is to get strong in the legs and just get bigger in general and gain mass.

Monday
Chest and Triceps

Dumbbell Bench
Dumbbell Fly
Dumbbell Incline
Dumbbell Incline Fly
Fly Machine
Peck Machine
Tricep Extension
Skull Crushers

Tuesday
Legs and Forearms

Hip Sled
Quad Extension
Hamstring Curl
Calf Machine
Wrist Curls
Hammer Curls
Rope Curl

Wednesday
Core Workout
Mediball Workout

Thursday
Back, Shoulders, and Biceps

Bent Over Rows
Back Fly Machine
Seated Rows
Lat Pull Down
Curls
Pull Ups
Shoulder Shrugs

Friday
Legs and Lower Back

Squats
Box Step Ups
Lunges
Split Squat
RDL
Lower Back Extension

Scooter
04-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Your intentions are good, but that is way too many exercises. Cut each day in half, and if you want to gain mass you should research your diet.

XFacta82
04-02-2009, 11:15 AM
So would it be wise to maybe do...
Half of mondays workout one week and then the other half the following week...And then repeat.
So have like an A and B workout for mondays and just rotate them every 2 weeks?

Just curious...why is that too many exercises? I did this type of workout over my winter break and saw great gains. I gained ten pounds in a month and never felt too tired or exhausted to workout.

Scooter
04-03-2009, 10:07 AM
So would it be wise to maybe do...
Half of mondays workout one week and then the other half the following week...And then repeat.
So have like an A and B workout for mondays and just rotate them every 2 weeks?

Just curious...why is that too many exercises? I did this type of workout over my winter break and saw great gains. I gained ten pounds in a month and never felt too tired or exhausted to workout.

I'm guessing you're young so you will see great gains no matter what you do.

The reason you want to limit the exercises is because you will overtain really fast. You really only need to hit one muscle directly a day so doing 3 types of flies isn't necessary. You can split it into separate days like you said, but there is still some risk of overtraining. Just cut it back a bit and you will still see gains, but also have some free time to maybe throw in some baseball specific work.

ICONPerformance
04-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I am certified trainer about to finish my career as a D-1 pitcher, and the program you have put together raises a lot of questions in me. I'm not trying to criticize, but rather understand what your goals are as a pitcher, and how that program is going to help you attain those goals.

Every pitcher has the same goals for the summer in general: come back to fall workouts throwing harder, locating better, with more knowledge and more experience, and with a more fine tuned arsenal of pitches. Thats generally it

Now, the right training program aids all of those goals in one common way: developing the strength necessary to control and enhance your body and your arm.

6'3 200 Means you are an average build, not too thin, though knowing your bodyfat percentage would make the picture clearer. You don't need to be significantly bigger, though if you were to grow and NOT lose flexibility, that would be fine too.

The pitcher needs to be strong everywhere. Big only some places, and strongest in a few other places. Focusing on being big, and a focus on the chest and arms is misdirected and will end up badly.

The chest means almost nothing. Triceps and biceps contribute very little. These areas should get just enough attention to stay strong enough to keep up. Your core is the single most important part to focus on. A stronger back, stronger legs, stronger shoulder and scapulae and stronger forearm and hands will make you a better pitcher. You will control your body better, making mechanical changes possible and velocity will increase.

The short end of specific critiques: Two big leg days is fine. I would do core 5 days per week, medicine ball 2 or 3 or those days. 2 total upper body days with a 2 or 3:1 ratio of back to chest exercises. Forearm/grip/hand 4 days per week. Huge rotator cuff and scapula circuit every other day. Flexibility work after every workout. You're a pitcher. You're not like the weightlifters on this site. Don't forget that.

XFacta82
04-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info ICONPerformance. That helps a lot!