PDA

View Full Version : Sweet things for size and strength?

J.C.
03-31-2009, 05:46 PM
So what do you think of candy, cookies, sweets, cakes and other good things? You think they have much use when training or bulking?

The reason I ask is because the last two weeks the local supermarket had a great 2 for 1 offer on these awesome fresh-baked cookies. I was also writing my university dissertation so I was doing little else except typing at my pc and then working out. Because I have a high tolerance for carbs and I needed snacks I thought **** it and ate two packs of cookies a day, on top of an already large diet. 5 pints of whole milk a day too.

Last week I set new PRs on squats and deadlifts after a long plateau! This was the only thing I'd changed. My weight may have gone up a couple of KGs too but my weight fluctuates a lot anyway so I can't be sure, don't think I've gained any fat in such a short time.

Could it be that the extra boatload of calories (even though mostly fat and sugary carbs) could have helped me gain strength?

Anybody else eat loads of sugary snacks to help with strength and size?

Mercuryblade
03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
I use cookies when I'm bulking before I go and lift. Oatmeal cookies are the awesome because you get a nice mixture of slow and fast absorbing carbs, which is ideal before a workout.
Eating all those cookies throughout the day though are probably going to spike your blood sugar and it won't be the cleanest bulk.

J.C.
04-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Well I'm a lean 210 and it seemed as though I could get away with eating pretty much anything which is why I wasn't too bothered about it. I usually ate one bag of oatmeal and raisin and one bag of white chocolate. Unfortunately the offers ended now.

After re-reading the "Big Boy Menu Plan" by JM Blakey that Sensei posted (and recently bumped) I came to appreciate that sometimes it doesn't matter too much where the calories come from, and after a certain point protein doesn't matter too much either.

Brad08
04-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Calories can only help and sometimes they come in convenient, little, round cookie shapes.

I've heard some guys swear by eating things like apple pie before their workouts.

ljs102
04-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Novus!

rhymenocerous
04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
ice cream is where its at.

MadScientist
04-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Drink more milk, it could have been the milk.
If you can, get the stuff that doesnt say that the farmers dont use hormones.

MMMMMM

I like cinnamon pecan twirls

J.C.
04-02-2009, 10:26 AM
In the UK, the rest of the EU and Canada the use of rBGH (bovine growth hormone) is banned along with I think IGF-1 so that's not a problem. I'm British you see.

Wait, I re-read your sentence, you have a double negative, you mean I SHOULD get the milk from cows treated with hormones? I have heard slightly dubious reports that the increased amounts of IGF-1 in some milk may cause a slight anabolic effect in humans, but I'd still rather have my milk as natural as possible.

MadScientist
04-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I like my cows jacked

J.C.
04-03-2009, 04:12 AM
That makes me think of the Simpsons episode where Bart joins the 4H club and has to raise the runt, so he trains the cow to bulk it up.

Eagleclaw026
04-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Mmmmm....... Beef.