PDA

View Full Version : Front squat ?

Ryan Hale
04-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Do you guys prefer the hands on shoulders grip,or the hands on bar type grip when doing these? And do you change your grip as the weight goes up? As in do you use the same grip at 150#'s vs 250#??

Also do you think getting better and stronger at front squats will carry over to back squats?

I've always done some front squats,but have never really worked them that hard.

Ryan Hale

Tom Mutaffis
04-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Hands on the bar will provide greater stability and enable you to handle more weight. For those that are too muscular to get into this position then you can use straps around the bar and just keep your elbows high.

I don't see a lot of carryover to my back squat from these, but they do seem to help give you more speed off the floor on deadlifts.

Ryan Hale
04-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks Tom,I appreciate the feedback.As for more speed off the floor on your deads,are you talking sumo or conv,or both?

Off subject here,but really enjoy your post on the strongman events.

Ryan Hale

Jason Mullens
04-05-2009, 12:41 AM
if your having trouble holding on to the bar or setting it up on your shoulders their are always zercher front squats where you curl up your arms and hold the bar in the pocket of your elbows, u just have to really focus on core strength so you don't bend at the waist too mugh.

Ben Moore
04-05-2009, 09:47 AM
if your having trouble holding on to the bar or setting it up on your shoulders their are always zercher front squats where you curl up your arms and hold the bar in the pocket of your elbows, u just have to really focus on core strength so you don't bend at the waist too mugh.

Two completely different exercises

Pete22
04-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Do you guys prefer the hands on shoulders grip,or the hands on bar type grip when doing these? And do you change your grip as the weight goes up? As in do you use the same grip at 150#'s vs 250#??

I've used the same arms crossed setup since I've been doing front squats, I've gained 200lbs+ on them and this setup hasn't caused me any problems.

Also do you think getting better and stronger at front squats will carry over to back squats

I think it depends, if you squat fairly narrow (almost olympic or ATG) then you will see a strong carryover as both have a lot of quad involvement. Front squats will also give you some carryover to your conventional pull, especially off the floor.

geoffsherman
04-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I use the straps method because (a) I can't get into a clean grip (b) when I use the arms crossed, I find that the bar still rolls too much. It has taken me a little time to get used to, but now I am in business.

-JM-
04-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I started out using the crossed arms method. It gets the job done. I now use a clean grip though and find it much more secure.

The clean grip will take getting used to, it will most likely cause some pain for a period of time, but in the end it will be worth it. Getting the elbows high enough will keep the bar locked in with little effort. I find I can think more about the squatting than whether or not I might lose the weight which was the case with the crossed arm version for me.