View Full Version : Let's get things started...
04-12-2002, 03:57 AM
Hi, a little self-intro from me. I'm a 19 year old student that hails from a tiny country in Asia- Singapore. Have been lifting seriously for about 2 1/2 years now, and even though ppl around praised me time and time again for my bod and how I transformed from a fatty to a rather shapely person, personally I felt that there's still a long way to go and I ain't gonna stop until I fufill my goals. Once that is done, I'll start more goals and fufill them again.
I'll be perfectly honest in this journal about my lifts, diet and mood throughout. Whenever I read some of the lifts you guys (or ppl in other BB forums), I'm always impressed and amazed by how much load they can lift, while mine absolutely suck. To make things more amazing, I'm considered one of the stronger guys in my gym, even though I can only lift peanuts. Thankfully my form is pretty good.
I stand 172 cm (5 ft 8) and weighs 147 lbs the last time I step on a weighing machine. Bodyfat I'm not excactly sure, maybe around 12-15%. Not rip AT ALL, but still pretty shapely. My current goal is to get a litle more Cut while trying to load a bit more muscles, than I'll start a big bulking spree. Hopefully I can burn off the fats around my chest area that has some ugly fat around it, which is bloody annoying to look at. My triceps are heavy, loose and flabby too, which is wierd as they are cool when flexed, but whenever I relax and shake a little, they shake too. Genetics, I suppose, my dad is fat :) What I'm worried about is that I can only get rid of it through surgery, oh well...
My split will be
Mon: Chest, Arms
Friday: Back, Traps, Delts
I'll be working out in a few hours time. Won't be doing any Deadlifts for the time being. I like doing it but felt it has put on too much stress in my hamstrings, which hasn't recovered from Leg Day (I do Deads with Back). Anyway, this is my second week of training after a weeks break, and I'll be doing some modifications on my current routine.
BTW, for supps, I'm using Protein Whey, Flax Seed Oil, and vitamins. Havn't been using creatine for while. Not sure about elsewhere, but in Singapore, the suppliments are wayyyyy expensive, and being just a student, it's not easy to buy them, esp. all at the same time.
Cya guys soon.
04-12-2002, 05:13 PM
good luck Victor and welcome to the forums!!!!
I will be keeping an eye on your journal ;)
04-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Victor
Whenever I read some of the lifts you guys (or ppl in other BB forums), I'm always impressed and amazed by how much load they can lift, while mine absolutely suck..
Read my journal. That should make you feel better about things.
04-12-2002, 08:46 PM
Hey guys, nice to meet ya.
Didn't update yesterday. Reached home at 9 pm and the TV shows are too good to resist. They even showed Wrestlemania at 10 (ya know, Singapore has this habit of showing wrestling 3-4 weeks later than the States).
OK, did Back, Traps and Delts. It wasn't anything bad, pretty much a typical one. Modified some of my exercises, which goes like this (not sure should it be included or not, but the amount of weight I lift will be excluding bars).
1) Pull Ups: 7 (BW), 6 (slightly assisted)
*I was kinda pissed as my BW Pullups increased by 1 rep compared to last week, but than when I use assistance, the only rep range I got is 6. Most likely not even rest in between sets.
2) Wide Grip Pulldowns @ 120lbs: 1 x 6
*Shouldn't do with that weight. I was pretty much wipe out already with the PullUps. Yeah, I suck.
3) One Arm DB Rows: 1 x 12 @ 40lbs, 2 x 8-10 @ 45 lbs
*Havn't done this in a while. Good feeling. I tried squeezing at the midpoint, but apparantly not much. Next.
4) Bent Over Barbell Rows (underhand): 2 x 12 @ 66 lbs (30 kg), 1 x 6 @ 77 lbs (35 kg)
*I'm starting to really dislike this compared to doing 2 arm DB rows.
5) Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown: 1 x 6 @ 120 lbs (extremely slowly done)
*Disappointed with the reps, but the pump is solid.
6) DB Shrugs: 2 x 15 @ 40 lbs, 1 x 12 @ 45 lbs
*I like it
7) DB Upright Rows: 1 x 12 @ 20 lbs, 1 x 8 @ 25lbs
*Not as 'smooth' as using a BB, but it's cool.
8) DB Shoulder Press: 3 x 8 @ 30 lbs
*Actually I find this to be one of my more impressive lift compared to the other whines.
9) Side Lateral Raises: 1 x 8 @ 20 lbs, 2 x 8-10 @ 15 lbs
*Worst exercise of the night. Lack of energy, and I cheated. Bleh.
I didn't work my abs. To damn exhausted, and I wanna go home and watch TV. Total working sets= 21
Highlight in the Gym: None
Lowlight in the gym: My Pull Ups still suck
Not very good, and it'll be worse when my class ends at 3-4 pm (it's irregular).
Meal 1- Protein Shake with milk
Meal 2- Chicken burger (it's from my sch, so it sucks)
Meal 3- Chicken crosent from Delifrance (yum...)
Meal 4- Chicken Chop with fries and beans
Meal 5- Proten Shake with oats (post workout)
Meal 6- Chicken Oriental
Meal 7- 3 boiled eggs
Estimated amt of total protein: 160+ grams
Right now it's still not too bad. I can feel the muscles trained yesterday being a little sore, but I still feel pretty fine (thus far, supposingly). The kind of soreness I hate most is when your stronger side of body feeling more pain than the left side, makes you afraid and wanna train the weaker side more so it can feel equally sore and progress (right now my right Lat is feeling more pain than the left). Of course, I know that sore doesn't really means growth.
Overall Highlights of the Day:
1) Joined this forum and started my journal
2) Didn't have much probs doing a Business common test
Overall Lowlights of the day:
1) Screwed up a project presentation
2) Still feeling lonely and rejected in school (not that I really give much of a ****, but the pain comes because a girl I liked has always gave me that cold shoulder these few months)
That's pretty much it. I might update tonight about my diet. Cya around.
04-13-2002, 10:25 AM
Meal 1- 2 fried eggs with Olive oil, 2 slices of bread with kaya, 10 oz of HL (High protein/Low fat) milk
Meal 2- Protein Shake blended with oats
Meal 3- Chicken Rice
Meal 4- Buffet (more on this later)
Meal 5- Most likely 3 boiled eggs which I'll eat later
Total Amt of Protein (estimated): 150+ grams
Lats are starting to feel more pressure now. Should be more obvious tommorow. Better recover by Monday. Don't like to train Chest with a sore Back.
Went out with my buddy today. Typical Singaporean teenager outing, even though both of us are more on the tamer and less wild side. Watched Blade 2, which is a pretty good movie. Simple plot, but I like the action and sound effects.
Overall Highlights of the day
1) Had an amazingly good dinner in Breeks. They serve Buffet in a rather reasonable price, along with so much good food that can make you choke. I ate, ate, and ya, ate. Salmon, Chicken, Wings, Rice, Ice Cream, cakes, chips, and all the fatty and heaty ****.
Overall Lowlights of the day
1) Ate too fooking much for dinner and felt AWFUL after the meal. My stomach was bloated and looked like it expanded from 29 to 33 inches. Could barely walk and feel like puking. Hell, I could barely even suck in. Sorta like a GH gut ;)
04-14-2002, 07:24 AM
Meal 1- HL Milk blended with oats and strawberries
Meal 2- Breakfast Set (egg, sausage, fish, hashbrown)
Meal 3- Small portion chicken breast
Meal 4- 1 packet of Nutz, Milo
Meal 5- Medium size stir fried chicken breast with olive oil
Meal 6- Chinese Food
Meal 7- Protein Shake
Total Amt of Protein- 145 grams
Right side of Lat still in pain if I lean on one side. Rear and Side delts are also still sore. Hopeflly it doesn't affect my Chest workout tommorow.
Overall Highlights of the Day
Overall Lowlights of the Day
There's school tommorow ;)
I also bought a new edition of Flex today with Jay Cutler in the cover doing bent over flyes I suppose. As expected it's nothing really fantastic, but I'll read anyway. They have some really notorious workouts as far as volume goes.
04-16-2002, 07:52 AM
Didn't update yesterday. So I'll give a quick breakdown of my Chest/Arms routine yesterday.
I did a few extra sets for my left side, since it is smaller/weaker than the right. That includes 1 extra set of cable (single arm) crossovers, DB triceps Extensions, and Incline DB Curl. Exluding those extra sets for the left side, this is what I did...
1) Incline DB Bench: 2 x 4-6 @ 50 lbs, 1 x 8 @ 45 lbs
* Felt really weak throughout. Strength level seems to have drop for this.
2) Flat DB Bench: 1 x 5 @ 50 lbs, 1 x 6 @ 45 lbs
* Same as above. A bad habit of mine is that for the left tricep, I find it hard to control the weight in a smooth motion and pushes it up in a non-straight line manner, very sloppily I might add. Gonna reduce weight next week if needed.
3) Flat Flyes: 2 x 8 @ 25 lbs
* OK. Increased weight by 5 lbs.
4) Lying DB triceps extension: 1 x 15 @ 15 lbs, 1 x 10 @ 20 lbs
* Good. Easier than expected.
5) Incline DB Curl: 2 x 6-8 @ 20 lbs
* Biceps have always been a weak area (along with many others :)), I do hope to hit 10 full reps within the next 2 weeks.
6) Standing Hammer Curls: 2 x 6-8 @ 20 lbs
* Not bad. I did a few more reps @ 15 lbs as well, to get a better pump.
7) Weighted Decline Crunches with 5 kg plate behind neck: 2 x 15
For today 16/4/2002
Chest is getting the typical sore today. Not as bad as last week, which is good since having a sore chest is annoying as **** (even though no soreness at all will make me wonder whether did I work correctly). Triceps are not really sore, biceps are OK. Just sorta tight.
Leg training today. Did something which I'm unsure whether to call it resouceful or stupid. My gym has no Squat rack, but a few good machines for Legs. However, I know there is this Community Center near my house that has a Squat Rack, and nothing else for legs. Thus I actually rode my Bike to the Centre FIRST and did 4 sets of regular Squats, than rode it quickly back to my gym (which takes about 10 minutes), and proceed to my other leg exercises. That makes it a 15 minute break in between AFTER Squats. Hehehe.
1) Barbell Squats @ 100 lbs: 4 x 8
* First time I'm doing Squats off a rack. However, I don't have any spotter (it's a fairly isolated place) and didn't wanna risk hitting failure. It was great, though.
15-20 minutes later of switching location and preparations
2) Leg Press (OK, I'm using the machine for it and not sure whether are the plates counted in kg or lbs. I think it's lbs): 1 x 15 @ 210 lbs, 1 x 10 @ 290 lbs, 1 x 10 @ 310 lbs
* Great. At first I thought my leg press strength has drop, but afterall it has still mantain. BTW, I did swtich the positioning while increasing the weight.
3) Standing Calf Raises: 3 x 15
* Better than last week. The burn is cool.
4) Leg Curl: 2 x 15 @ 66 lbs, 2 x 6-8 @ 77 lbs
* Good. Felt stronger.
5) Hip Abductors: 1 x 12
Total Sets: 15
Highlight in the Gym: Have a good chat with a friend joking about us being the only 2 that train legs. There are a few decent looking girls too
Lowlights in the Gym: None
Meal 1- 4 boil eggs ( 2 yolks), 1 slice bread, 12 oz milk
Meal 2- Chicken Burger
Meal 3- 2 pieces McDonald McCrispy
Meal 4- Simply Protein Shake (post workout)
Meal 5- Rice with dishes
Meal 6- Not yet decided
Total Amt of Protein- 150 grams
Overall Highlight of the day
Can't think of any.
Overall Lowlight of the day
She is still giving me a damn cold shoulder, why do ppl dislike me so much? Geez. Maybe it's that face and voice. WTH.
I really need to spike up my diet. It is bloody awful, in terms of quality and quantity. Blame the ******* school hours, and crappy school food.
No workout tml till friday. Maybe some light cardio, depending how sore my legs are. Till then.
04-18-2002, 08:31 AM
A quick update, been really busy.
Meal 1- Simply Protein Whey with milk
Meal 2- Chicken Rice, Ice Coffee
Meal 3- 4 whole eggs (1 yolk removed), 2 slices bread with butter, 8 oz milk
Meal 4- 1 packet peanuts
Meal 5- 2 medium size stir fried chicken breast with Olive Oil
Meal 6- Havn't decided
Of course, I also took 1 1/2 tablespoon of Flax Oil, three 500 mg Vit C tablets and 1 Multi-Vit. Overall about 145 grams protein. Gotta spike up.
Legs, in particular hammies are a little hurting, but not too bad. Chest is almost gonna recover. Arms felt perfectly fine.
Will be training Back tommorow. Looking forward for that...
04-19-2002, 08:16 AM
Wow, took a Business Statistic common test today and it's much easier than expected. Looking good. Came back home after a typical day in school and treated myself with some Diaz chocolat icecream, wow. For some reasons felt really uncomfortable, as though my entire back and heart is burning mldly inside. Felt like **** and almost didn't wanna train.
However, being the never gonna stop attitude kinda guy, I decided to pump the iron anyway. It's a Back, Traps and Delt day.
Did a whooping 23 sets of work sets today.
1) Pull Ups: BW x 6, Assistance x 2 @ 6-8
2) One Arm DB Rows: 1 x 12 @ 45 lbs, 2 x 6 @ 50 lbs
3) Bent Over Barbell Rows (underhand grip): 2 x 12 @ 66 lbs, 1 x 12 @ 55 lbs.
4) Reverse Grip Pulldown (very slowly done): 1 x 6 @ 121 lbs
5) DB Shrugs: 1 x 20 @ 40 lbs, 2 x 12-15 @ 50 lbs
6) Db Shoulder Press: 2 x 6-8 @ 35 lbs, 1 x 12 @ 30 lbs
7) DB Upright Rows: 1 x 8 @ 25 lbs, 1 x 12 @ 20 lbs
8) Side Lateral Raises: 1 x 8 @ 20 lbs, 2 x 10-12 @ 15 lbs
9) Weighted Decline Crunches: 2 x 15
Overall Comments: A pretty good workout. Too bad my Pullups are still declining. I felt harder to do Pullups on that kinda assistance machine. Prevents me to swing hard whenever I reach failure.
Diet is so-so. Didn't eat much until the night hits. Here goes...
Meal 1- Chicken Buger, 12 oz HL milk
Meal 2- Sweet and Sour Fish Rice
Meal 3- Chocolate icecream
Meal 4- Protein Shake with HL Milk (post workout)
Meal 5- White Rice with chicken breast and hotplate beancurd
Meal 6- Chicken Chop
Total Estimated Protein: 155 grams
That's about it. I'm feeling really uncomfortable while typing this. Most likely getting sick.
04-19-2002, 08:23 AM
It seems as though you could do without the assisted pullups. You can get 6 on the first set!! When I started doing pullups I could only get 3 (can get 8 now, check my journal for progression), but I kept on doing them with no assistance. I know it sucks when you can only get 1 rep after a couple of sets, but eventually you will get up there.
So if I were you I would do a light set of pulldowns first (nothing too taxing) and then do about 4-6 sets of pullups, no assistance, just your body weight. I actually kept on doing sets until I got to a total of 20reps.
Oh ya, really SLOW negatives help a lot as well.
Nice journal man
04-20-2002, 07:15 PM
Thanks ericg for the suggestions. The slight prob is that after my first set of Pull Ups, I just can't find anymore energy to do more than 2 in the 2nd set. I'll try that 20 rep thingy though :)
Lats are feeling it when I stretch them, same for Traps and Rhombids. My rear and side deltoids are having that burn, which is common and they most likely won't recpver too soon. I think I leaned towards my left side too much when sleeping, and now my left shoulder feels a strange kind of pain and really weak. Not post workout soreness that kinda weak, even though it's no biggie.
Diet (Including 1 tablespoon of Flax Seed, four 500 mg Vit C and one Multi Vit)
Meal 1- 2 whole eggs, 1 sausage bread with butter, 12 oz HL milk
Meal 2- An apple
Meal 3- Spring Chicken (yeah, BADDDD stuff)
Meal 4- Large servings of chicken breast
Meal 5- 1 McDonalds Chicken McGrill (w/o top pat of bread and lettuce)
Meal 6- 1 egg and Wing *
Total Estimated Amt of Protein: 135 grams (awful)
* Actually my last meal is suppose to be 4 egg whites with 2 yolks. While I was resting in bed at night reading a mag, all of a sudden my old leg injury 'pop' and my left knee cap all the way to the hamstring felt as though it was shot. Obviously in huge pain, al I did is lay on bed biting my teeth shivering all over. I always thought this injury has almost recovered, but it just reappear like that. Rest even longer, and don't even wish to get out of bed, let alone walk out and prepare the eggs. About 1 hour later I woke up and have a slight limp and walk to the kitchen. Saw an whole egg and chicken wing, gulp down and rush back to sleep. This morning I woke up and the pain in the leg is gone.
A typical, sad and lonely day. The leg pop hurts really bad, almost as devastating when I first screwed that. Gotta see a doctor soon. I also realised that my Protein Powder is almost used up. I havn't been using Creatine right now and I WILL continue to purchase Flax Seed and Vits, however, I most likely won't be using anymore Whey. Not enough money :(
04-22-2002, 09:02 AM
****, I am suppose to train Chest and Arms today, but my stupid gym close due to a dinner dance thus the gym can't be used. Gotta wait for tommorow and train it in the morning, than I'll train Legs after school.
Meal 1- 12 oz Milk (15g)
Meal 2- Chicken Cutlet (with fries and beans)- 30 g
Meal 3- 2 slice WW bread with mild butter, 3 pieces nuggets, 5 oz milk (20g), Vit C
Meal 4- 1 protein shake (25 g)
Meal 5- 2 medium grilled chicken breast stir fried with Olive Oil (35g), Vit C, Multi Vit
Meal 6- Flax, Servings of lemon chicken and fish (pretty bad stuff, the calories should be high), 8 oz milk (25g)
Total Amt of Estimated Protein- 150 g
I went on flexing my left bicep too much yesterday and for some reasons, it was sore today. Besides that, everything is fine.
I couldn't wait for tml to train abs, thus did some halfass exercises on my sofa like leg extended crunches. No mood to do any kickboxing cardio.
Got back my Business Statistic CA today, and scored 99 marks! Yay...
04-24-2002, 03:35 AM
I'll have leg training later on, so a quick recap on yesterday's Chest/Arms workout.
1) One Arm Cable Crossovers (for left chest only): 1 x 15
2) Incline DB Bench: 2 x 4-6 @ 45 lbs
3) Flat DB Bench: 2 x 4-6 @ 40 lbs
4) Flat Flyes: 1 x 6 @ 25 lbs, 1 x 11 @ 25 lbs
5) Lying DB Tricep Extensions: 2 x 10 @ 20 lbs
6) Close Grip Bench: 1 x 11 @ 44 lbs (excluding bar weight)
7) Incline DB Curls: 2 x 12-15 @ 15 lbs
8) Standing Hammer Curls: 1 x 8 @ 15 lbs
Overall it is a workout that started VERY badly. I am getting extremely dissapointed with my Benching as this is one of the very worst benching days ever. What I hate more is whenever I mount the DBs down, it is really hard for me to balance myself on the bench since the weight is heavy, which took me a while to stabalised, and that most likely took up some additional energy. Whenever I look at the mirror, it seems that I am more leaned towards the right side which might affect the balance. I also did a freakin mistake by starting off with 1 set of side lateral raises, with a 10 lb DB at 33 reps.
Arm workout is fine. Even though I was short of time in completing the Bicep workout. Replaced CGB with Skulls, just for this training day. I am starting to like lying DB Tris Ext, and even experimented it doing the seating version.
Pecs are getting sore, and left arm's tricep is more sore than the right, and most likely the right bicep is more sore than the other.
My diet wasn't good yesterday, as usual. Can't really be bothered to remember what I ate, all know is that the protein intake didn't really hit the expected target. I better start eating more now or else I'm gonna be in deep **** when the already small muscles start to melt due to lack of pro.
While I'm typing this, I'm gobbling some left over BBQ chicken wings, and a sweet cake. Yes I'm cutting, but, but...
Oh, my routine is changed to Mon: Chest/Arms, Wed: Legs, Friday: Back/Traps/Shoulders. Main reason is becos since I won't be doing Deadlifts in my current routine, I won't have to worry my legs being overtrained twice a week.
04-27-2002, 09:54 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates. Been kinda busy recently.
I decided to change my Chest/Arms routine after sticking with the previous one for about 6-7 weeks already. It will be...
1) Low Incline DB Bench: 3 sets
2) Flat Flyes: 2 Sets
3) Weighted Dips: 2 Sets
4) One Arm DB Triceps Extensions: 2 Sets
5) Cable Pressdowns: 1 Set
6) Incline DB Curl: 3 Sets
7) Camber Bar Curls: 2 Sets
8) Standing hammer Curls: 1 Set
Total 7 Sets for Chest, 5 Sets (2+ 3) for Tris and a bigger 6 sets for Biceps. I know it's kinda strage to train Biceps even more than triceps, but I have been sticking with a low volume direct bis work for some time now and decided to change things up and see how it goes. Hopefully I'll stick with this routine for 2 months. BTW, do you think 7 sets for the Chest is enough?
Lats are aching..slightly. Legs have recovered.
Went out to wach Scorpion King yesterday. It was a disappointing movie.
04-30-2002, 03:49 AM
Trained Chest yesterday.
1) Low Incline DB Bench: 2 x 10-13 @ 40 lbs, 2 x 3 @ 45 lbs
* This is a wierd one. At first while handling the 40 lbs DBs, I was happy with the reps squuezed in. Than by merely increasing 5 lbs, I stated to get troubled and can't even hit more than 3. WTF?
2) Flat DB Flyes: 2 x 10 @ 20 lbs
3) Wide Grip Dips: 2 x 10-12
* It's good. However, for some reasons I felt my middle back being worked as well.
4) Seated DB Triceps Ext: 2 x 6-8
5) Overhead Bar Pressdowns: 1 x 15
6) Incline DB Curls/Standing Camber Bar Curls/Hammer Curls: 2 x 8-12 *superset* at 20lbs/22lbs/15 lbs respectively.
Did a bit of lameass weighted decline crunches than went home to watch TV.
I also bought 100% Whey (initially decided not to buy anymore Whey, but I can't get enough time to eat the food to satisfy my protein requirements), which is Strawberry flavour. Optinum's 100% Whey has some awesome tasting vanilla and chocolate flavours, amazingly their strawberry (which is the one I bought) is TERRIBLE.
As usual...Chest is really sore, biceps are not too bad (damn it, right side more sore than left), tris are burning pretty OK. Strangely, my rhombids is kinda sore too.
04-30-2002, 09:01 PM
Leg training later on. Don't feel good since my chest is still aching. I decided to throw in a couple sets of good mornings later on for my workout, and hopefully work well on the 'moving smith machine' squats.
Got a haircut, which seems to be OK. Just don't feel too comfortable with really short hair. Chuck down another 100 % Whey strawberry with milk, it still taste like antibiotic.
Oh, and Hapy Labour Day.
04-30-2002, 09:15 PM
Good luck man, everyone starts somewhere. When I first started working out back when I was 12-13 I could only curl the bar and bench around 135. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
04-30-2002, 09:25 PM
You could bench 135 at age 12? I could only 95 lbs. at about age 15...
04-30-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by heathj
You could bench 135 at age 12? I could only 95 lbs. at about age 15...
Man, that sounds almost as bad as me when I started lifting...almost. Actually, that sounds like me now.:cry:
04-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Victor- goodluck...welcome to the forums..good luck on your goals.. Where are you studying in Singapore. Had a few friends that studied at NTU . Been to singapore a couple of times and I like the city.
05-01-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by thalapathi
Victor- goodluck...welcome to the forums..good luck on your goals.. Where are you studying in Singapore. Had a few friends that studied at NTU . Been to singapore a couple of times and I like the city.
Thanks...I'm a student in ITE, didn't do too well in my O Levels :) I bet you like the Singapore food, eh ;)
Had my leg workout. Nothing bad, but nothing impressive either. Took some unhealthy (but yet so tasty) pre-workout lunch, which makes my mood somewhat better. Even though it's Labour Day, the gym is still somewhat fairly packed.
1) 'Moving' Smith Machine Squats: 2 x 10-12 @ 88 lbs, 1 x 8 @ 100 lbs.
* As usual, that is excluding bar weight, and I feel that I can certainly Squat more if doing it on a PROPER Squat Rack. Unfortunately, all I have is that Smith. Good news is however, some dude in my gym taught me this 'technique' and that's to pull out the handle on that smith machine, making it movable. By doing that, I will be able to Squat more freely and the movement will feel more natural. Even though I sincerely prefer to squat on a free weight Bar, and almost lost my balance after moving the entire damn machine.
Oh, and I don't enjoy it either. The ROM absolutely suck.
2) Leg Press: 1 x 15 @ 230 lbs, 1 x 12 @ 250 lbs, 1 x 11 @ 270 lbs
* MUCH better than the Smith Squats. Drop some weight to increase the ROM
3) Good Mornings: 1 x 10 @ 33 lbs
* Suckass. I know this is a good hamstring exercise, and it'll be good for me since I wanna work my hammies w/o working the Traps/Rhombids (which is something caused by SLDL). However, I just can't get this right.
4) HyperExtensions: 2 x 15
* Ahhh, this is better. Kept the pressure on my hamstrings throughout, good burn.
5) Lying Leg Curl: 2 x 10-12 @ 66 lbs
6) Hip Abductors: 1 x 8-10
* Kinda worried with this. Whenever I train my legs or go to running, I can feel my groin area having this pulling sensation. Thus when moving my legs in this hip abductors movement, the groin area starts to have that tight, a little uncomfortable feeling. Maybe it's lack of stretching?
7) Calf Raises on Leg Press machine: 2 x 15 @ 270 lbs
* OK, could have go alot heavier.
Overall Comments: As said earlier, it's an average workout. My quads is not too bad but my hamstrings are kinda weak. Calves are improving, at 15 inches the last time measured.
I got to admit that whenever I looked at the mirrior, even though it's nothing terrible, I am still disappointed with my physique. Afterall, I have been working really hard for at least 1 year and the progress is kinda slow. Patience...I guess. My genetics do suck though, or so I believe.
Meal 1- 3 fried eggs (with olive oil), 12 oz milk blended with oats, two 500 g Vit C
Meal 2- (pre workout) Nasi Goreng (*slurp* *slurp*)
Meal 3- 100 % Whey with oats
Meal 4- Hot Plate Beancurd, one 500 g Vit C
Meal 5- Chicken Chop (with slaw, fries and beans), 1 tbs Flax, 1 Multi-Vit
Meal 6- Most likely another Shake
Total Amt of estimated protein: 160 grams
Now I'm making sure that at least 100 grams of protein must come from whole, solid food.
As usual, Pecs are Tris are still sore. Pecs are feeling that usual sharpy pain whenever I stretch it, and I feel that Flyes are really the main reason for the soreness.
That's about it, still have school tommorow. Till then.
05-03-2002, 07:53 PM
Back, traps and delt day. Don't ya hate it when there's a shitload of volume to do and yet you start of the workout suckily? Here goes...
1) Pull Ups: 2 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3
*As you can see, I did 4 sets instead of 3. No assistance this time. However, once it is time for the 3rd set, I switch the grip to underhand (chin up) instead, but only manage to fork out 4 reps. I'll most likely let Pulldowns be my main start if my Pull Ups continue to stink.
2) One Arm DB Row: 2 x 8 @ 45 lbs, 1 x 11 @ 40 lbs
* I cheated during the last few reps in every set.
3) Bent Over Underhand Grip Barbell Row: 2 x 10-12 @ 30 kg, 1 x 8-10 @ 35 kg
4) Reverse Grip Pulldowns (slowly done): 1 x 4 @ 132 lbs
5) Bent Over Lateral raises: 2 x 12 @ 15 lbs
6) DB Shrugs: 2 x 15 @ 50 lbs, 1 x 20 @ 40 lbs
* My ego took me a little off for this, either that I'm just not confident enough to shrug higher. I SHOULD have shrug higher when dealing with the 50 lb DBs.
7) Reverse Wrist Curl: 1 x 35 @ 10 kg (Olympic Bar)
8) DB Shoulder Press: 1 x 10 @ 35 lbs, 1 x 6 @ 35 lbs, 1 x 10 @ 30 lbs
8) DB Upright Rows: 1 x 15 @ 20 lbs, 1 x 10 @ 25lbs
9) Side Lateral Raises: 3 x 10-12 @ 15 lbs
10) 15 minute Cardio on Treadmill
A very good workout. I even did a good bit of Deadlifts (for the heck of it) while resting during Barbell Rows. Damn I love those baddies. Can't wait to do them during my bulking session! I also experiment doing cheat reps today after reaching failure, it is quite good. After doing at least 6 clean reps and I already hit complete (or close to) failure, than I start using some momentum and swing the weights up to push myself further. I like it, and it's not cheating myself since I have already perform a very respectable amount of reps with perfect form at first before the cheat. Can't do them all the time though.
Oh, I also notice something about my physique. Normally my right side is always dominant over the left as the right side of my chest, arm, legs are bigger. However, I only realised now that the LEFT side of my Lat is actually wider, and more V-Shape than the right. It's some wierd **** I tell ya. Now I am wondering whether should I work on my right lat more, or just train as usual and let them get equally wide eventually. Most likely seek the second option. Now for the time being that makes me a 'One Winged Angel' (FF7 anyone?)
Can't really comment now.
Meal 1- 12 oz HL Milk
Meal 2- Chicken Cutlet with red beans and fries, watermelon juice
Meal 3- 1 McDonalds Chicken McGrill
Meal 4- 4 whole eggs (2 yolks removed)
Meal 5- 100 % Whey (post workout)
Meal 6- 2 wholewheat toast with low fat melted cheese, soya bean milk
Meal 7- Chicken Chop
Total Amt of Protein Estimated: 160+ grams
05-04-2002, 09:57 AM
Cheat day (note that the ratio are all estimated and not clearly accurate. They are protein/carbs/fats respectively)~~
Meal 1- 2 WW bread toast with 2 slices of low fat melted cheese, 12 oz HL milk with blended oats, 1 multi-vit, 1000g Vit C- 35/50/8
Meal 2- 1 chicken Wing, ham bread- 10/15/10
Meal 3- Chicken noodles with fried egg- 25/44/15
Meal 4- Carrot Cake (yummmmmm)- 10/35/20
Meal 5- 9 piece McDonalds Nuggets- 30/40/25
Meal 6- 2 servings 100% Whey with milk, Flax Seed- 50g/15/20
Not too bad for a cheat day. The noodles and carrot cake rules. For a LONG time (and still am) I am always conscious in whatever food consumed and gonna make sure it contains ALOT of protein even though it's 'bad for health'. Just love it when at times I can get protein outta my life (OK, I don't mean it)
Lats are soring, and I think it's cool. My right side of the delts are more painful than the left, that I don't know why, since I strictly rely on DB work. Most likely occurred during Pullups.
05-05-2002, 05:50 AM
Meal 1- 2 WW Toast with 2 slices low fat melted cheese, 12 oz HL milk, 1 banana, 1 multi Vit, 1000g Vit C- 32/65/12
Meal 2- Half Bowl white rice, dice chicken, sweet n sour fish, veggies- 35/25/15
Meal 3- Half packet Moca Milk, 4 eggs (2 yolks removed)- 25/30/10
Meal 4- Lemon Chicken, remains of lunch, yam- 30/30/20
Meal 5- 2 servings of 100% Whey, 1 table spoon Flax- 44/4/17
I'll try to cut down my carb intake tml and test it out for 1-2 weeks (depending on how I can handle) to only 100 grams.
Lats and Traps are still feeling slightly sore, and so do my left bicep (the shorter head I presume).
Went outdoors for some evening jog, and for some reasons my shins hurt while running and I stop after a very pathetic distance. No such problem when dealing the Treadmill.
I have also made up my mind, in about 1 months time, I'll most likely start to bulk again, and thus go with the WBB split (Monday: Chest/Back, Wed: Legs, Friday: Delts/Arms.
05-07-2002, 04:46 AM
Time to update yesterday's wokout.
1) Low Incline DB Bench: 1 x 15 @ 45 lbs, 1 x 12 @ 45 lbs, 1 x 10 @ 40lbs
* I got assist from a nice guy throughout the first 2 sets. He didn't help me push much except for the last few reps, just merely holding my wrist firmly to make the ROM more smooth, which is why I manage to chuck in 15 and 12 reps respectively. I like it, but don't intend to use such assistance all the time. 3rd set I did it alone.
2) Flat Flyes: 1 x 15 @ 20lbs, 1 x 10 @ 25lbs
3) Dips: 1 x 12, 1 x 7
*Pretty good. Tried leaning forward as much as possible. Learn something as well, and that is no matter how hard you try 'focusing' your pecs during Dips, your triceps are still gonna burn like **** in this exercise.
4) DB Tricep Extension: 1 x 4 @ 20lbs, 1 x 10 @ 15lbs
* Gosh, doing this standing/seated is alot harder than lying down.
5) Rope Pressdowns: 1 x 10 @ 15 kg
6) *Triset* Incline DB Crl: 1 x 10@ 20lbs, 1 x 6 @ 20lbs
7) *Triset* Camber Bar Curl: 2 x 8-10 @ 15kg
8) *Triset* Hammer Curls: 2 x 6-8 @ 15lbs
9) Decline Leg Raises
Good workout. Started out with more confidence, and ended on a fairly high note.
Meal 1- 16 oz HL Milk- 20/22/6
Meal 2- Chicken Rice with egg and fish- 35/40/15
Meal 3- 1.4 oz Nuts, 4 eggs (2 yolks removed)- 22/1/30
Meal 4- 11/2 servings 100% Whey- 33/3/3
Meal 5- Stir Fried Chicken Breast with Olive Oil, 1 WW Toast, Vitamins- 30/15/18
Meal 6- Chicken Chop, Flax Seed- 25, 10, 20
* Too much fats, and I felt like **** eating so little carbs.
Typical Chest and deltoid soreness. Arms are feeling fine, surprisingly.
Downloaded a few new songs from audiogalaxy, and Drowning Pool's version of The Game sucks, IMO.
That's all for now, maybe I'll post my diet for today later on.
05-14-2002, 04:20 AM
Damn have not updated for a while. Been really busy with school work recently, all the projects for revisions for upcoming exam. Frankly...I'm also kinda lazy to post :D
Physically wise I'm feeling pretty good, strength has gone up a bit and the Cutting plan has been doing fine thus far. I seriously need to go for some tanning though, and I'm considering to buy products where you apply on your skin to get the nice skin color. If not, most likely stand outside the sun 30 minutes everyday. Kinda stupid huh?
05-23-2002, 03:42 AM
A little update on my yesterday's leg workout.
1) Smith Machine Squats; 1 x 12 @ 135 lbs, 1 x 8 @ 145 lbs
* I guess it is OK. Still feel hella more comfortable with regular Squats though.
2) Regular Squats: 1 x 20 @ 135 lbs
* Had a spotter help me shove up the weight over my head, and assisted me throughout this.
3) Leg Press: 1 x 10 @ 230, 1 x 10 @ 250
* Not good at all. Strength has dropped alot. The same guy who spotted me told me to use my heels and push instead.
4) Leg Extension: 1 x 18 @ 100 lbs
5) Hyper Extension: 2 x 10
6) Leg Curl: 1 x 4 @ 65 lbs, 1 x 8-10 @ 65 lbs
Tried Good Mornings, can't feel anything on my hammies.
7) Hip Abductors: 2 x 10-15
8) Calf Raises: 3 x 20
* Great burn. Did 2 sets on Standing, and 1 set on leg press machine.
Strength has dropped during this cutting routine, and a few workwers in my gym said there's this upcoming Strong Man competition and told me to join. It is for fun, afterall. Still considering...
05-30-2002, 10:51 PM
It's been a while, eh? Right now I'm in the middle of my exams which will end in a number of days time, but that doesn't give me an excuse not to workout. It does give me some screw my diet a little, though.
Physically wise I'm feeling like ****. My diet isn't good at all, as far as sufficient protein intake and food quality. Oh well, not really new. Strength hasn't really improve at all, and last week someone in the gym even talked to me saying my progress is poor. Talk about discouraging. Almost, but not quite.
I'll be training Back, Traps and Delts later. Will be subsituting Barbell Rows with Cable Rows instead as my hammies are still sore. I wanna try something new too anyway. Gonna try at least 8 Pullups in 1 set today.
Cheated my diet early in the morning by having a coffeebean chicken mayo sandwich and vanilla shake or sumthing. Worse still, last night ate carrot cake for dinner and chicken cutlet for supper. Holy crap! Still got lots of revision to do later, Accounts is awfully boring, and I suck at it. Must Practice, mmmmm.
06-03-2002, 10:17 PM
It's a Tuesday morning and after 2 more papers, my exams are officially over. Just took an AC exam yesterday, boy not much confidence at all :D
For yesterday's workout I did Chest, Triceps, and yeah, even a little bit of Back.
1) Warm Up: 40 Push Ups
* Now I wouldn't wanna talk much about my warming up but I was kinda happy that I did 40 push ups in a row and not feeling much exhaustion. Back when I was about 125lbs I have to struggle my ass off for 50 and huff my puff through it but now at 20 lbs heavier I can hit 40 and beg for at least another 25. Not too bad...
2) Barbell Bench Press: 1 x 6 @ 135 lbs
* Just a test to see did my Barbell BP improve after ditching iut for some time. OK I guess
3) Low Incline DB Bench: 2 x 10-12 @ 40lbs
* My let wrist tend to tremble if I use a slightly heavier weight. So for the sakes of equal form on both sides, I use this weight.
4) Flat Flyes: 2 x 6-8 @ 25lbs (each DB)
5) Dips: 1 x 13, 1 x 7 (BW)
6) Skull Crushers: 1 x 14 @ 45 lbs, 1 x 10 @ 55 lbs
7) Close Grip Bench: 1 x 6 @ 90lbs
* It's OK I suppose, can go heavier. One habit I tend to have is whenever I lower the bar for this movement, I tend to drop it below my nipple level, while I start the movement by having the bar on my upper chest. If it means anything.
8) Rope Pressdowns: 1 x 10
9) Lat Pulldown: 1 x 14 @ 110 lbs
Did some leg raises, and a bit of direct bicep work and that's it.
Overall a good, solid workout. Nice increase of volume too.
Diet? What diet? Honestly I don't give a **** anymore. I'm only 145 lbs and only now I realised how overcautious I truly am in my diet. Yes my BF is a little high, I don't look lean enough, but I don't like to look small even more. Can't eat this, can't eat that. I say **** it, and I'll eat whatever I want. Just keep my protein intake high and try avoiding carbs before bed. Besides that, noodles, white rice, ice cream, yayaya, here I come.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2016 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.