PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please...

dirtyd
04-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Please review and critique this 5-week plan I put together. See attached. Thanks.

slashkills
04-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Maybe im reading it wrong, and there is a good chance i am but are you doing 10+ exercises in one day?

Reko
04-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Maybe im reading it wrong, and there is a good chance i am but are you doing 10+ exercises in one day?

hes not, no worries.
a brief explanation of what you are doing and why (along with experience) is the better way to go about this than posting a spreadsheet. just sayin.

Jason Mullens
04-05-2009, 12:39 AM
it looks solid.

mikesbench
04-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I guess I'd ask what your goals are with this program.
Some things that jumped out to me as odd was it looks like on your 100+% exercises you're planning to do 5 singles with the same weight (of greater than 100%). Is this correct, or are you actually working up to the 1 attempt of over 100%? If this is the case it definitely changes your volume calculations in your spreadsheet.
It also seems like your box squat 1RM is very low compared to your leg press and your deadlift; even your bench press is higher; have you identified any prticular weaknesses causing this? and how are you addressing this?
Overall there are some good exercises in the program, but to critique it better it would help to know more about you. What do you think are your weak points in your lifts?, are your goals primarily powerlifting?, do you use any supportive gear?, are these exercises listed in any particular order on the spreadsheet?

dirtyd
04-06-2009, 12:05 AM
I guess I'd ask what your goals are with this program.
Some things that jumped out to me as odd was it looks like on your 100+% exercises you're planning to do 5 singles with the same weight (of greater than 100%). Is this correct, or are you actually working up to the 1 attempt of over 100%? If this is the case it definitely changes your volume calculations in your spreadsheet.
You are correct, I will be working up to the 1RM. I considered the volume calculation issue but will likely cap off my session with a little hypertrophy work to fill the void.

It also seems like your box squat 1RM is very low compared to your leg press and your deadlift; even your bench press is higher; have you identified any prticular weaknesses causing this? and how are you addressing this?
This is a conservative estimate for box squat. B/c this lift has been missing from my routine for so long I dont want to be overzealous. Also, I have just recently taken the time to "perfect" (ha) my squat form. For this reason, to answer the second part of your question, I have considerable imbalances and weaknesses (e.g. hamstrings, adductors and hammies). It is possible that I will raise this number after a couple of training weeks. If nothing else it will be a good chance to be extra explosive and reinforce the proper form. For the sake of reference, when I was squatting 3x a week, my heaviest sets were 335 for 5 reps. It was at this point I realized my lower back and other weakpoints were going to inhibit any worthwhile gains and that I needed to reconfigure my training to that of more powerful weightlifters.

Overall there are some good exercises in the program, but to critique it better it would help to know more about you. What do you think are your weak points in your lifts?, are your goals primarily powerlifting?, do you use any supportive gear?, are these exercises listed in any particular order on the spreadsheet?
My goals have shifted to powerlifting. Now that I realize how unbalanced my body is as a whole, I could not ever go back to my old training methods.

I assess my lifts as follows:
Bench Press - probably the lift I have done the most of. I added APT wrist straps several months ago but have noticed little difference in anything. Before I felt that my shoulders were the weak point on bench, but I have recenlty started tucking the elbows, and can see how this could potentially be a game changer. I am obviously still getting acclimated to elbows in but feel that perhaps stronger triceps, and not shoulders as much, would be most beneficial. I always feel a lot of pressure in my elbows on heavy bench and am considering elbow wraps/sleeves as well.

Squat - When you sit back into your squat it is like a completely different lift then the variation you will see at your local commercial gym. Since I brought my hips and hamstrings into the lift I am back to square one. Areas of improvement are lower back, hammies, hips, ad/abductors, flexibility and quads, to a lesser degree.

Deadlift - Areas of improvement for deadlift are; not being afraid of the bar (shins will be damaged), lower back strength (to stay arched), hip/hamstring strength (to pull through).

Also, I have a set of green bands and ~40 lbs of chain but dont want to incorporate them just to get use out of them. If you could suggest the best way to implement these tools into my routine that would be helpful.

Thanks for your questions.

mikesbench
04-06-2009, 05:47 AM
It sounds like you have put plenty of thought into your program and you have a good grasp of where you stand on your lifts. In my opinion understanding yourself in this way is much more important than wat plan you come up with because this is what you'll need to continue to adapt your plan as time goes on.

The one recommendation I would make then is to do plenty of assistance work for your weak points. For example, after bench pressing make sure to do some hypertrophy work for triceps, and I'd also say upper back / lats will generally help when getting used to the elbows tucked style you mentioned.

For box squatting, it's not absolutely necessary, but squat briefs are nice to use to give some hip support especially if you'll be planning to compete equipped. You definitely hit the nail on the head when you metioned how sitting back is entirely different than how pople typically squat. Reinforcing this new technique constantly and again hittingassistance work for the hips, glutes, and hamstrings will pay off big time.

If you're really itching to use your bands and chins you could add the chains for your dynamic benching and could consider the bands for squatting once you get used to the new techniques you're implementing. You can also get some use out of the bands doing band pullthroughs, band pressdowns, and ab work with the band.

Hope all goes well wit your training, just keep working, re-asessing, and movin forward.