PDA

View Full Version : The internet

vdizenzo
04-03-2009, 06:41 AM
I was reading over on PLWatch how a bunch of guys have their panties in a twist over not being able to say whatever they want over here. My question is, when did everyone become so entitled that they could say whatever they want, to whom ever they want, wherever they want? I know on some forums it's ok to call an accomplished lifter a weak piece of crap, but I am thrilled that does not go on here.

Do these people know it costs money to run forums? If they want that kind of freedom they need to start their own forum. It could be called the unknown(anonymous)--weakass forum. None of us would let someone come into our house and talk junk to us so. Well, WBB is Chris' and Daniel's house so people need to act accordingly or get out. Thank you Chris, Daniel, Travis, and all the other mods for your hard work on this site. It's a very constructive and fun place.

Ryano
04-03-2009, 07:07 AM
I too, personally hate anonymous posting. People should be accountable for not only their actions, but their speech. WBB is one of the few forums that hold true to this rule. Ryanopower forum is the same way and will never change. I delete/ban anonymous ****heads on a daily basis.

Lones Green
04-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Great post Vinnie. The Anon's annoy me on PLwatch as well, I barely ever get on that site due to them.

Thanks to Chris, Dan, Travis, Tom, all you mods. Keep this place troll free!

Brian C
04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I believe WBB to be the best PL forum on the net. Where else can you get honest and sincere advice from some of the tops in our sport without having to dig through idiotic and childish comments. I'm still new to the site but plan on being around for a long time. Thank you Chris and Dan for supplying a place in which I can learn to better myself in this sport.

ct67_72
04-03-2009, 08:17 AM
I dont think people now a days have the capacity to understand that these forums were started for a purpose. and its not to talk smack to your buddies or post ridiculous comments about someones pictures, and then do so without saying who they are.
One of the reasons I enjoy this forum as much as i do is because behavior like that is addressed as inappropriate as it should be, and it keeps the forum much friendlier and more comfortable.
As far as your question goes, from what I see, everywhere, people believe they are more and more entitled to everything, and it just carries over to the internet. I had someone flip me off for riding their butt in the left lane for 10 miles while they drove 2 mph under the speed limit next to the car in the right lane. People dont hold doors for you anymore. Its everywhere and its sad because its not going to get any better.

=Travis=
04-03-2009, 08:46 AM
The internet has made is so people will say things without fear of consequences (i.e. getting their ass handed to them for lunch) so everyone thinks they're ten foot tall and bullet proof.

And I hate how people say "what about freedon of speech..." Guess what? This place is private, people pay for this, they can regulate what you say and there is no such thing as freedom of speech on an internet forum so they need to suck it up and be grateful that they are allowed to speak at all.

chris mason
04-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks Vincent!

You know, it isn't so much about rules, it is about common decency and community. If I was having a get together at my house and there were a few people running around trash talking and putting everyone down you can bet your ass they would be on the street real quick. It is a similar situation on these kind of forums. There are many websites that allow internet trolls to say whatever the **** they want. These trolls are just frustrated and angry people with an anonymous outlet for their venom in the form of internet forums, and I have ZERO interest in allowing those pitiful ****s to do it here. Think about the majority of powerlifting sites and the bull**** that goes on there. What is the point? I think the forums should be for like minded people who want to get to know, correspond with, or learn from others.

Tom Mutaffis
04-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Great post Vincent.

I have seen other boards where veterans are disrespected by guys who are just getting started in the sport and in the end it chases them away and lowers the overall quality of the discussions. Am glad that there are a lot of constructive threads here and many great, accomlished lifters who contribute.

Pete22
04-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I think the forums should be for like minded people who want to get to know, correspond with, or learn from others.

Bingo. People here want to get stronger, bigger, and better. Other sites I've visited or lurked are filled with people who just like to tear people down b/c they can't or won't put in the work to get better.

Joe Black
04-03-2009, 09:39 AM
I saw the post on PLW and I am going to guess that those that are being negative will have been banned in the past anyway, so are just being bitter.

The freedom of speech thing cracks me up too. Youíre right, these forums cost a lot of money and time from many people to keep up and running smoothly. So if we find that someone is disruptive to the overall effort, youíll be gone. Weíre not going to make our job tougher than it has to be. There is so much leeway over here and to be fair you can express pretty much anything you want as long as you do it constructively and you arenít racist, discriminative or bullying anyone. Iím about as easy going as you will find anyone and thatís reflected in our guidelines.

Iím really glad WBB has so many clever and level headed people :)

Travis Bell
04-03-2009, 10:32 AM
I really appreciate the positive comments guys. Means a lot. I do try and be really fair with everyone, but realize people are going to get upset and frustrated regardless and will make false accusations about myself around the internet.

My goal here is just to continue what Daniel and Chris have started with a great site that focuses on the sport we all love so much. A good portion of my beginning in powerlifting began on the internet, learning tons from other lifters so a big passion of mine is to help others in the same way with what I have been privy to learning at Westside. Honestly, I live an hour away from Westside and I'd have never heard of it had it not been for the internet. Think what I'd have missed out on!!

You guys are great though. Occasionally I do get irritated by the personal attacks because they are so fictional, but I just realize that you can't please everyone. My goal is here on WBB and improving the already great community we have.

On a side note, I have spent a good amount of time emailing back and fourth with Jon who owns PLW over the last 8-9mths. He really is a good guy and I enjoy my discussions with him. He runs his site for a different purpose and a different goal than we have WBB set up and I understand that. Even if I would design things differently should it be my site (hypothetically speaking here) I respect the time that Jon puts into PLW and him putting himself out there

MarcusWild
04-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Personally, I don't get why people take time out of their day to try tearing down top lifters. I'd rather spend my time trying to learn from the top lifters. I've yet to meet a top powerlifter that wasn't helpful when I ask questions. You'd have to be a real idiot to spend your time insulting those guys vs. trying to learn from them.

Rob Luyando
04-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Vincent.......... You are skinny! LOL! This site is awesome I hate PLW.

rctriplefresh5
04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
tell them to go to bb.com. i enjoy trolling that forum lots of time. i come here for serious powerlifting.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
04-03-2009, 01:53 PM
WBB is the best training, strongman & powerlifting forum on the internet!

johnnyo_99
04-03-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm fairly new to this sport and I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for this forum. Period.

slashkills
04-03-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm fairly new to this sport and I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for this forum. Period.

Same here

endymion88
04-03-2009, 03:29 PM
this is by far actually the best forum i've ever been on everybody here is actually helpful and polite and the people giving advice aren't 14 year old pencilnecks hiding behind the computer they're accomplished lifters. good post!

joey54
04-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Keep up the good work.

JK1
04-03-2009, 04:10 PM
The anonymous posts at PLWatch flat out piss me off. I'll admit it. Maybe I have anger issues, I don't know....

The internet has changed so much the last 6-8 years. Unfortunately behind a keyboard everyone is 275 lbs, ripped, with a 600 lb raw bench, a 900 lb shirted bench, ass to heels 1100 lb squats, make a million a year, have a 65 vette or a 70 hemi cuda in their garage, a girlfriend kinkier than Belladonna and hotter than Jennifer Aniston who doesn't mind if thier wife participates. If you give those peckerheads an inch, they try to expand their fantasy world.

I dont like their fantasy world messing with mine. It annoys the crap out of me.

I do like this forum and I'd like to put in a good word for Chris, Dan, Travis, Tom, and the other mods mentioned above. Thanks guys for keeping this forum readable and a place to come to learn to be a better powerlifter, not a troll freeforall. I typically just lurk and read and think about what I'm reading. I've gotten alot from here just doing that.

mike danforth
04-03-2009, 04:15 PM
what does Vinny know? he's just a bencher....:windup:

Ryano
04-03-2009, 04:59 PM

In my book, that's a good thing!:D

evilxxx
04-03-2009, 06:11 PM
WBB is the best training, strongman & powerlifting forum on the internet!

100% right! thats why this is the place I visit the most on the internet...I even come in here at 2-3 am! but i am going to say something negative to all you pros! you all suck! not a single one of you works out at the gym i go to!!...hahaha! Seriously I don't think i would have come back so quick in my training if it wasn't because of all you guys journals and advice to everyone that seeks advice here.

rctriplefresh5
04-03-2009, 06:55 PM
this is by far actually the best forum i've ever been on everybody here is actually helpful and polite and the people giving advice aren't 14 year old pencilnecks hiding behind the computer they're accomplished lifters. good post!
samsuperjew?

vdizenzo
04-03-2009, 07:44 PM

Ouch Mike. Words hurt you know. Seriously though, a lot of people do not know I started out as a full meet lifter. I have also done strongman and some other odd lifts. I am just a huge fan and supporter of strength athletics. I don't like giving myself a label, but if I did it would be Mr. Superfantastic!

jbrin0tk
04-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I credit this site and elitefts with getting me going in lifting. I would've probably given up a long time ago if I didn't have this site to learn from and inspire me to greater things than I ever thought I was capable of. I, too, enjoy how the "trolls" are weeded out, and I also enjoy the fact that so many high level lifters post here. They are a great resource.

I also wanted to say how helpful Travis has been to me ever since I started really training with goals in mind. He's answered so many questions and been so helpful. I cannot thank him enough.

Eric Downey
04-03-2009, 10:00 PM
i was reading over on plwatch how a bunch of guys have their panties in a twist over not being able to say whatever they want over here. My question is, when did everyone become so entitled that they could say whatever they want, to whom ever they want, wherever they want? I know on some forums it's ok to call an accomplished lifter a weak piece of crap, but i am thrilled that does not go on here.

Do these people know it costs money to run forums? If they want that kind of freedom they need to start their own forum. It could be called the unknown(anonymous)--weakass forum. None of us would let someone come into our house and talk junk to us so. Well, wbb is chris' and daniel's house so people need to act accordingly or get out. Thank you chris, daniel, travis, and all the other mods for your hard work on this site. It's a very constructive and fun place.

aggreed

mike danforth
04-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Ouch Mike. Words hurt you know. Seriously though, a lot of people do not know I started out as a full meet lifter. I have also done strongman and some other odd lifts. I am just a huge fan and supporter of strength athletics. I don't like giving myself a label, but if I did it would be Mr. Superfantastic!

just having some good old Internet fun with ya Vin, next time I'll sign as anonymous :D

PowerliftingWatch
04-04-2009, 08:13 AM
I too want to congratulate Chris, Daniel, Travis and the members who have built a great community here at WBB. As well, congratulations on the new site makeover.

As Travis said, Powerlifting Watch is a different animal than the WBB forum. It's a news and information reporting site rather than a forum. We report the news and provide loads of information about the sport. We also allow comments to articles as most news and sports sites do. If you frequent any of these, you will see that Powerlifting Watch's policies actually are more restrictive of the type of internet behavior some of you have pointed out.

If anonymous comments bother you, which clearly they do a fair share of people, just don't read them. Read the news, check out the upcoming meets and meet results, follow the Lifter and Power Rankings, post a classified ad, or use any number of the other informative sections. Just skip the comments!

Continued success.

Jon

Brian C
04-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I too want to congratulate Chris, Daniel, Travis and the members who have built a great community here at WBB. As well, congratulations on the new site makeover.

As Travis said, Powerlifting Watch is a different animal than the WBB forum. It's a news and information reporting site rather than a forum. We report the news and provide loads of information about the sport. We also allow comments to articles as most news and sports sites do. If you frequent any of these, you will see that Powerlifting Watch's policies actually are more restrictive of the type of internet behavior some of you have pointed out.

If anonymous comments bother you, which clearly they do a fair share of people, just don't read them. Read the news, check out the upcoming meets and meet results, follow the Lifter and Power Rankings, post a classified ad, or use any number of the other informative sections. Just skip the comments!

Continued success.

Jon

Bump. I commend you Jon on you site as I love to check out the latest news and upcoming meets on your site. I'd say that you guys do a stellar job as I'm sure its no easy task keeping up and reporting all info. Keep up the good work.

Joe Black
04-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I also want to throw in a quick 2 cents for Jon and PLW.

I've spoke to Jon and followed PowerliftingWatch for quite some time and you won't find anyone that works harder to report powerlifting news and information and promote the sport generally. You don't even want to know how many hours Jon puts in each week to keep PLW ahead of the game.. And what impresses me the most is he does it first and foremost because he loves the sport.

He's also right, PLW is a different type of site than WBB and those expressing their opinion in the Wannabebig news story on PLW are just a minority who probably wondered over there because they are pissed about being banned from here previously....

Chris and I are really proud for Atlarge Nutrition to be affiliated with PLW and we'll continue to support them as long as they exist.

rctriplefresh5
04-04-2009, 10:53 AM
tell them to go to bb.com. i enjoy trolling that forum lots of time. i come here for serious powerlifting.
lol some dick on bb.com keeps banning me. i got banned once and made a new account to write my workout log on and he kept banning me so i kept making new accounts and i got this message.

You are being reported to your ISP. Good luck explaining your constant abuse and TOS violations to your parents. And I mean every ISP

vdizenzo
04-04-2009, 10:56 AM
PLWatch is a great resource. I am a paying member of the site.

Travis Bell
04-04-2009, 11:03 AM
lol some dick on bb.com keeps banning me. i got banned once and made a new account to write my workout log on and he kept banning me so i kept making new accounts and i got this message.

You are being reported to your ISP. Good luck explaining your constant abuse and TOS violations to your parents. And I mean every ISP

This really isn't meant to be a thread bashing other sites. We don't really do that here.

rctriplefresh5
04-04-2009, 11:05 AM
my bad :(

DrDudley-Robey
04-04-2009, 11:08 AM
I hate the internet trolls as much as anyone. Everytime a story about me goes up someone has something negative to say, however PLW is not to blame for that. I am also a paying member of PLW because it provides a good resource for the sport. I have had a few e-mails with Jon and he is a good person who works hard for powerlifting.

fulldaddy
04-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I have said this before here - this forum is truly unique and the people here are so helpful and supportive. I've learned more from the members of this board and I credit everyone here for the being a part of something that has been nothing but positive for me.

PLW was the first site I found when I started my research about the sport. It provided me with access to all the federations out there and helped me choose one. I love the video clips because I have a great appreciation for what what those lifters are capable of. I have my opinions about technique like everyone else but I keep them to myself and just enjoy watching men & women lift impressive weights.

I know it is hard to ignore the dips--ts who criticize people - especially when they talk about people you know or respect. My thought is if you just ignore them & don't respond - their ignorance has no power.

Training by myself in powerlifting's no man land I find motivation from the success of wanna be big members and the vids on PLW. My new quest is to join a lot of you guys on a PLW top 50 rankings list. That quest keeps me hungry. God Bless.

mikesbench
04-04-2009, 02:22 PM
This forum is an excellent resource; primarily because it is so full of members that contribute to each other's posts, and everyone seems to take a genuine interest in each other's goals, questions, or problems. The support here is probably 2nd only to great training partners.
Of course what makes all this positive information more accessible is the weeding out of negativity, so I thank the mods for that. I'd also like to thank those that do contribute so much of their time and experience in helping others when we have questions. I know I've received a lot of help and encouragement from Travis, lonesX, the 107 guys, and many others. This is a great forum!

KarstenDD
04-04-2009, 03:24 PM
a lot of people know i was never a full meet lifter. I am 340 and have 40% bodyfat. I am just huge. I don't like myself, but karsten is mr. Superfantastic!

fixed!

vdizenzo
04-04-2009, 03:58 PM
fixed!

You are formally uninvited!

Erik 23
04-04-2009, 04:08 PM
QUOTE=vdizenzo;2117932]PLWatch is a great resource. I am a paying member of the site.[/QUOTE]

I am curious what do you pay for on PLWatch? just asking cause i didnt even know you could become a member i thought everything was free.

And I agree with you Vin This site is great everyone's respectfull you can ask questions and not get a response like you fail or something stupid like that lol.

i hate how a lot of guys named Anonymous just happen to be Millionaire UFC Cage fighters Who in there spare time our a Certified internet judge in Powerlifting.:)

JK1
04-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I have said this before here - this forum is truly unique and the people here are so helpful and supportive. I've learned more from the members of this board and I credit everyone here for the being a part of something that has been nothing but positive for me.

PLW was the first site I found when I started my research about the sport. It provided me with access to all the federations out there and helped me choose one. I love the video clips because I have a great appreciation for what what those lifters are capable of. I have my opinions about technique like everyone else but I keep them to myself and just enjoy watching men & women lift impressive weights.

I know it is hard to ignore the dips--ts who criticize people - especially when they talk about people you know or respect. My thought is if you just ignore them & don't respond - their ignorance has no power.

Training by myself in powerlifting's no man land I find motivation from the success of wanna be big members and the vids on PLW. My new quest is to join a lot of you guys on a PLW top 50 rankings list. That quest keeps me hungry. God Bless.

Thats actually one of my beefs with PLWatch. Jon is a great guy and has been great to me. I'm a paying customer there and plan on staying that way because I read and value the lifter rankings. My wife and I both train to break into (for me) or keep lifts in (for her) those top 10 rankings. I also understand the focus of the website as not so much being a forum for training information but a site to report powerlifting news. The video clips give us all motivation and there is great information about the nuances of individual federations.

One of the problems I've had is that if I talk to people who are not powerlifters, they then decided to get online and try to read about what I get so excited about. Powerlifting watch is the number 4 google hit. They go on and read the negativity by anonymous posters and it presents a very negative image of the sport as a whole. The anonymous multiplys are getting attacked by the anonymous RAWs because of the equipment they choose to use. The drug tested hate the nondrug tested. All anonymous posters bitch about squats that to the noninformed eye sure look like a person getting under a HUGE amount of weight. Then everyone complains about how powerlifting needs to be unified and get television time so money can be made.... but online there is so much negativity and hatred anyone with half a brain can see how that will never happen. I've had people flat out say that powerlifters "are very whiney for being so strong".

I like this sport alot and I spend alot of time prepping for the next meet. I don't like the rampant bashing with little respect for the individuals.

Who knows, maybe I just got issues.

JK1
04-04-2009, 04:12 PM
QUOTE=vdizenzo;2117932]PLWatch is a great resource. I am a paying member of the site.

I am curious what do you pay for on PLWatch? just asking cause i didnt even know you could become a member i thought everything was free.

And I agree with you Vin This site is great everyone's respectfull you can ask questions and not get a response like you fail or something stupid like that lol.

i hate how a lot of guys named Anonymous just happen to be Millionaire UFC Cage fighters Who in there spare time our a Certified internet judge in Powerlifting.:)

There is a members section that for 12/year you can get things like lifter rankings etc.

Erik 23
04-04-2009, 04:13 PM
There is a members section that for 12/year you can get things like lifter rankings etc.

Oh ok thanx i havent seen that area yet might have to join

mike95763
04-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I like to read PLW just to see what is going on with powerlifting, but I don't read the things people post anymore because I don't get anything out of it. With WBB the opposite is true. I am not really able to train my squat and deadlift with lifters who know what they are doing, but I have been able to do ok by learning from the people who post here. Everyone on this site is great, but in particular the experienced powerlifters who share what they have learned from their coaches or through years of experience make this site an incredible resource. I just wanted to echo everyone else in my appreciation for this site.

mosley1990
04-04-2009, 07:55 PM
I agree with this being the best site to get information from. i have been on several powerlifting websites and this one seems the most helpful. thanks to everyone that has contributed to this site.

mattdunkin
04-05-2009, 07:45 AM
First off I'd like to say thanks to Chris and Daniel and all of the mods and lifters who make this place the great place that it is.This is really the only site I've found that you can still find top-level lifters that post and no b.s. is tolerated.What blows me away are the idiots that think something is owed to them and have done nothing for the sport and probably never have or ever will stepped on the platform.I really think the majority of trolls and anon posters are just somewhat followers of the sport who read about powerlifting on the net, might occasionally do a 1/4 squat or bench 135 if they actually did decide to go to the gym that week, and float around from site to site leaving their two cents about OUR sport along the way.What really gets me is the bashing of people who have put so much in to this and by some idiot that doesn't even have the balls to use his real name.Anyway, before my blood pressure gets any higher thanks again to everyone for making this site the really great place that it is.

Cards
04-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I agree with this being the best site to get information from. i have been on several powerlifting websites and this one seems the most helpful. thanks to everyone that has contributed to this site.

x2 to this and the rest of the comments. what i love about this site is there is no **** talking, people stand up for other people, and the advice here is top notch. this is the only website i go to and will always be the only website i look to for information.

as for the mods, keep doing what you're doing, WBB is more of a community than a forums and i personally believe that the people here make that possible.