PDA

View Full Version : Nervous towards bulking.

Dan9108
04-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi, I'm one of those people that are pretty scared of bulking and gaining fat and whatnot. I know, I know, I probably shouldn't be on this forum, it's titled wannabebig for a reason I guess but I am just looking for advice.

I'm currently 16, 5'8, and I weigh 155 pounds. I have been lifting weights for about a year and a half. I have full access to a gym and go four days a week;

Monday-Upper/Tuesday-Lower/Wednesday-Rest/Thursday-Upper/Friday-Lower

I am perfectly fine with a slow bulk, I would actually prefer it, I need to figure out the most accurate way to track my maintenance calories and add onto them slowly.

As for the food aspect of the slow bulk, I have it all under control.

One more thing, I haven't altered my routine much in the whole time I have been lifting and it feels like I have hit my plateau and I just can't go above what I have been lifting. I'm working on developing a brand new routine so then I'll have two routines. Would it be wise and effective to switch between the two routines every two months or so?

Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it.

samadhi_smiles
04-03-2009, 08:52 AM
sounds like you know what to do. Track your calories a little while and determine maintenance. And then shoot for 400 or so above that. That will be less than a pound of gain a week but it will also mean not very much fat.

Don't be scared to put on a little fat though in the bulk-cut process. Once you have more muscle its much easier to cut because your metabolism raises. Its really no big thing to put a little fat on, unless you are working as a model for your bread :D

Ben Moore
04-03-2009, 08:54 AM
You're 16 - there's no such thing as too much food

VikingWarlord
04-03-2009, 09:30 AM
At your age, just eat. If you start gaining too fast, back off. Bulking is a little easier than cutting in that respect.

Holto
04-03-2009, 10:09 AM
& Remember you might really respond well your first few weeks and then after that the danger of putting on too much fat becomes more real.

anonymous1
04-03-2009, 05:54 PM
You also don't just "get fat". You gain each pound of fat gradually, over the period of at least about a week for a pound or so. Regardless of how much you eat, the body has a way of doing something with it so you can't gain 50lbs of fat in 2 weeks.

Just bulk, and adjust as you go. If you feel your putting on too much fat, you are. Chill out on the calories, figure out if there are problems in your routine (ask us), and go from there. This is a process, you're always going to be making adjustments.

Holto
04-06-2009, 10:37 AM
You also don't just "get fat". You gain each pound of fat gradually, over the period of at least about a week for a pound or so. Regardless of how much you eat, the body has a way of doing something with it so you can't gain 50lbs of fat in 2 weeks.

This is where we need to remember the immutable laws of physics. The body is a closed system, energy only leaves as heat & kinetic energy.

MadScientist
04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Dude, just eat, lift, hit 200, get jacked, slash it up and watch the jaws drop.

Sell your car, buy a motorcycle, get a tattoo or ten, listen to metal, and hit on the female teachers.

Every lb of muscle increases your maintenance cals by 35-50 kcals per day.

So the more muscle, the more fat you can burn, and the easier cutting becomes. :burger:

Reko
04-06-2009, 11:56 AM
This is where we need to remember the immutable laws of physics. The body is a closed system, energy only leaves as heat & kinetic energy.

and poop!

AzBboy
04-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Slow bulk is bunk, your still gonna put on the same amount of fat just at a slower pace, and all your gonna do is minimize muscle gain. If you wanna bulk, then BULK! at 5'8 155 I'd say you're naturally thin and would lose fat like nothing when needed.

BilltheButcher
04-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Eat tons and tons of these foods: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46565

MadScientist
04-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Slow bulk is bunk, your still gonna put on the same amount of fat just at a slower pace, and all your gonna do is minimize muscle gain. If you wanna bulk, then BULK! at 5'8 155 I'd say you're naturally thin and would lose fat like nothing when needed.

YES, you are brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree 110%

JUST BULK IT!

I usually do a 30% body fat bulk, slash it down to 12-14, rinse, repeat!

One time, I had a 3 year bulk... it was epicly epic

Holto
04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
and poop!

& what energy yielding substances are in there?

VikingWarlord
04-06-2009, 01:51 PM
I think it was just an excuse to say poop.

MadScientist
04-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Tons of undigested calories are in poop.

Mercuryblade
04-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Slow bulk is bunk

No, it's not.

Pimpstick
04-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Thought you could burn it? At least cow patties.

Holto
04-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Tons of undigested calories are in poop.

Got a link for that?

I know stuff like huge amounts of Vitamin C can pass through but the human body is king when it comes to survival.

Reko
04-07-2009, 10:29 AM
pretty much this:

I think it was just an excuse to say poop.

Im sure the body isn't completely 100% efficient in extracting every single calorie out of everything and storing it or burning it, but I am not too concerend with what that percentage is to go find out.

anonymous1
04-07-2009, 10:43 AM
You obviously don't gain a 100% proportional amount of weight compared to calories even with the thermic effect of food and calories expended by added weight etc. So it goes somewhere, where does it go Holto? I have no idea. maybe it is just poop.

samadhi_smiles
04-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I am sure there is some scientist somewhere that is boiling beakers of our **** to measure how many calories is in the average 6oz log. Gotta be something in it, otherwise there wouldn't be creatures that subsist on eating the poop of other creatures.

Holto
04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I just know that when you start having things like fat turning up in stool it's considered a serious medical condition. I agree though, our body is likely not 100% efficient.

LOL @ 6oz log...

VikingWarlord
04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
6oz? I once weighed myself before and after a dump and I'd dropped 3 lbs.