PDA

View Full Version : Power Cleans from Hang / Blocks? (Opinions)

Tom Mutaffis
04-03-2009, 09:27 AM
My olympic lifting technique could use some improvement, but for now since I am only including them for variation in my training program and some explosive power work I would like to perform modified versions.

A friend of mine who is an olympic lifting coach suggested that I use either the hang version of the lift, or pull off blocks (boxes). The only boxes at my gym would put the bar height at about 18" which is right around the bottom of my knee cap, or I could do the hang motions.

What do the experienced olympic lifters suggest? Am I better off with the hang cleans or with the box cleans?

**This would only be for my heavy work, will still be working on improving full clean technique with light weights.

Kenny Croxdale
04-03-2009, 12:18 PM
My olympic lifting technique could use some improvement, but for now since I am only including them for variation in my training program and some explosive power work I would like to perform modified versions.

A friend of mine who is an olympic lifting coach suggested that I use either the hang version of the lift, or pull off blocks (boxes). The only boxes at my gym would put the bar height at about 18" which is right around the bottom of my knee cap, or I could do the hang motions.

What do the experienced olympic lifters suggest? Am I better off with the hang cleans or with the box cleans?

**This would only be for my heavy work, will still be working on improving full clean technique with light weights.

Tom,

The hang clean and box clean work the muscle a little differently. I would equate a hang clean somewhat to a pause squat. During the static hang (paused) part of the movement, tension is placed on the muscles involved. The muscles are performing an isometric action to maintain the hang position.

The nice thing about the hang is you can determine if you want to execute them from below the knee, at the knee, or above the knee. You can make the adjustment, easily.

A box clean is somewhat like a box squat in which you sit and pause before coming up. No or very little tension is placed on the muscle before coming up.

Another effective method it to perform the clean with a slight bounce off the thighs. It a form of "over speed training". You sling shot a bit more weight up.

Kenny Croxdale

Tom Mutaffis
04-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Kenny -

Thank you for the response. That is what I was thinking, but like you had mentioned at the end of your post I actually do that "bounce" off the thighs when I hang clean so was wondering if I might get more value out of doing them off of the blocks.

Maybe I will just try both and see which one I can handle more weight and feel like my form is better with.

Will report back after I give it a try.

--

Tom