PDA

View Full Version : My Cutting Diet

JWMagnus
04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
I am currently at about 224 lbs., 6'1, and want to shed a little fat and maintain some muscle before putting on a slow bulk. My calories per day total to about 2200 calories and I'll see how much poundage that drops per week. Maybe starting a little too low on the calories? We'll see. I'm doing the WBB 1 routine, and I like it a lot, working out about 3 times a week. I just stocked up on some cheap nutritional looking food at a bulk food store. I got cans of tuna for .48 cents and cans of spinach for like .55 cents, cheapest I have seen! Anyways, I'm going to post my current diet, and I suppose my questions are, should I maybe add 1-200 calories starting out on my cut or just try it out at 2200? Does my diet look good as far as getting proper nutrients for the body, or does it need more variety? Also should I implement any cardio during off training days, or just lift the way I am now? Thank you for the help everyone. :strong:

6:00 am
Whey Protein (1 Scoop) 135 cals
Milk 1% (1 cup)- 120 cals
Can of Spinach- 157.5 cals
Natural Peanut Butter (2tbsp)- 210 cals
Fish Oil X 3- 30 cals
Whole Grain Wheat Bread (1 slice)- 90 cals
Total= 742.5

Breakfast Alternate, without the spinach can for price reasons, alternate each breakfast meal

6:00 am
Whey Protein (1 Scoop) 135 cals
Milk 1% (1 cup)- 120 cals
Can of green beans or tomatoes- 87.5 cals
Natural Peanut Butter (2 tbsp)- 210 cals
Fish Oil X3- 30 cals
2X Wheat Bread- 180 cals
Total- 762.5

Lunch 11:30 am
Apple X2 or Bananna- Apples(160) or Banana (180)
Natural Peanut Butter (2 scoops)- 210 Cals

With 2 apples and Scoops of PB- 370 cals
Banana- 390 cals

2nd lunch lol 5pm
Tuna Can- 120 cals
Milk 1%- 120 cals
Wheat Bread- 1 slice (90)
Fish Oil X 3- 30 cals

Total- 360 cals

Workout: 5:30 pm

Dinner 9 or 10pm
Protein Scoop- 135 cals
Milk 1%-120 cals
Can of green beans or tomatoes- 87.5 cals
Natural Peanut Butter (2 scoops)- 210 cals
Fish Oil X3- 30 Cals
Wheat Bread X2=180 cals

Dinner Total- 762.5

Grand Total=
With Spinach Breakfast= 2255
Other Breakfast= Probably like 2235

There is my diet, any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks a lot everybody!

VikingWarlord
04-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Post the macros.

given'er
04-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Looks ok, might be a little low on the calorie side but try it for a week or two and see how it goes. You should be aiming for around 1 - 1.5 lbs loss a week. Also you might find it difficult going 5 1/2 hrs between breakfast and your second meal, some people can handle it. I myself have to eat more often to stop myself from binging. Everyone is different. Good luck

BilltheButcher
04-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm not a fan of only 4 meals, also what is your protein intake? Like Viking said, post your macros.

snikez
04-05-2009, 03:05 PM
sorry for changing thread subject a little but which of these cutting strategies would be better.

1. You lost a pound the last week so you decrease your calories even more so you can lose another pound. But would doing this possibly result in a greater weight loss?

2. You lost a pound the last week. You keep calories the same the next week and see if you lost weight. If you didn't, you decrease calories. This is a little slower but would this strategy be better for a cut?

Basically should you decrease calories every week to keep losing weight, or should you keep calories the same until you no longer lose the weight?

VikingWarlord
04-05-2009, 05:02 PM
sorry for changing thread subject a little but which of these cutting strategies would be better.

1. You lost a pound the last week so you decrease your calories even more so you can lose another pound. But would doing this possibly result in a greater weight loss?

2. You lost a pound the last week. You keep calories the same the next week and see if you lost weight. If you didn't, you decrease calories. This is a little slower but would this strategy be better for a cut?

Basically should you decrease calories every week to keep losing weight, or should you keep calories the same until you no longer lose the weight?

Cutting calories doesn't mean eating less and less every week because, given enough time, you'd end up at 0 calories. That's just stupid.

Cutting calories means averaging a predetermined amount below your maintenance. If your maintenance is 2500 and you want a 20% deficit, eat 2000.

If you stop losing, it's usually not a good idea to continue to drop your intake. At that point you would want to take a break for a little while to eat at maintenance. If you continue a deficit for long enough, your body will adjust and naturally dropping your maintenance level to accommodate.

That's why refeeds and maintenance breaks are important.

JWMagnus
04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I'll get the macros posted soon here, I am busy in the middle of a move.

big joe
04-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Another way to put it, as opposed to dropping calories, is to increase expending calories. Ex: you take in 2255 cals. Your BMI is 2200 (The number of cals needed to maintain weight of an inactive person). If your workout burns 500 to 750 then weight will come off. Increasing exercise to 1000 cals burns that much more fat. Remember a pound of fat is 3500 calories. Divide that by your workouts and that is how much weight you can expect to lose in a weeks time.

VikingWarlord
04-06-2009, 09:47 AM
1. BMI is useless for athletes. It barely applies to average people.
2. It is impossible to calculate how many calories are burned during training. Too many variables.
3. Using exercise to create an artificial caloric deficit is the fastest way to catabolize muscle, especially cardio. You'll drop more weight this way, but it won't be fat.

Effective fat loss is all about the diet. Exercise to maintain the conditioning and LBM you already have.

samadhi_smiles
04-06-2009, 10:22 AM
establish maintenance through 'workin in the trench'

its different for everybody even two people that weigh the same and can lift the same.

MadScientist
04-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Keep the cals the same but clean up the diet.

If that doesnt work, lower cals slightly (usually decrease carbs, eat more healthy complex carbs like plain oatmeal, veggies, etc, and decrease simple sugars, and increase protein intake and healthy fats.)

If that doesnt work fast enough, add some aerobic activity, I prefer elliptical at 60% MHR to burn fat, 35-40 mins.
Or short HIIT sessions, 20-25 mins.

If that doesnt work, you are not paying enough attention to detail.

JWMagnus
04-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Ok took me a while, but here are the macros per day.

Protein- 195
Fats- 126.5
Carbohydrates- 275.5

Possibly too many carbs?

Also, BillTheButcher, why are you not a fan of four meals a day, because of the hunger getting to you?

VikingWarlord
04-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Uh, dude, you way miscalculated something there.

195.0g @ 4kCal/g = 780kCal
126.5g @ 9kCal/g = 1138kCal
275.5g @ 4kCal/g = 1102kCal

That puts your total up over 3000. Not the 2200 you posted originally.

JWMagnus
04-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Hmm... yes I did, I took the macros I saw on the labels and just added them together per each meal. I have to work early, but I'll give it a try again, dang thought i had it

Mercuryblade
04-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Why the canned vegetables?
Don't have time to go to the store frequently?

As far as your variety in your diet. Eating healthy doesn't mean eating bland food all the time, there are lots of enjoyable foods that will fit well within your macro's. Look in the recipes section of this site.