PDA

View Full Version : How much Fat (g)s can I eat and still lose fat?

Angro88
04-03-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm 16 years old, and I weigh about 155. I lift about three of four times a week, sometimes following WBB

I've been cutting weight since after the wrestling season ended, and I think I have been doing pretty well so far. I'm starting to actually see the outline of my abs!

I was a little pudgy a few years ago so this is amazing for me. Anyway, I want to keep this progress going, so I have been getting stricter with my diet. I've cut out processed foods for the most part, eating good stuff like meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, and whole wheat breads.

I was wondering how low I can cut my daily fat, saturated and unsaturated intake. I look at the nutrition facts and typically stay away from the food if there is more than a gram of saturated fat or two.

How much fat, in grams maybe, could I eat and not risk slowing down my progress?

VikingWarlord
04-03-2009, 09:44 PM
You can get away with eating more fat than you probably believe. It's time to do some reading.

Angro88
04-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Viking,

Could you give me more info? I would definitely read if I know where to look

VikingWarlord
04-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Well, start with the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Pimpstick
04-04-2009, 07:00 AM
more than 30g per day, you will turn into teh fatzzz!!11

Unreal
04-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Fat doesn't matter, calories do. Depending on how many calories you burn that number could be anywhere from 100g to 500g. Who knows. Read up on how to lose fat and you will understand.

Angro88
04-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks, I looked at the FAQ before but I guess I was looking in the wrong places.

Definitely good to know.

samadhi_smiles
04-04-2009, 12:15 PM
actually when you're cutting its nice to keep your fat intake relatively high (along with fiber as well), because this will provide a more full satiated feeling than if you skimped on the fat.

Fat loss is a function based on calories in versus calories expended. Take in less than you expend and you will lose fat (granted you are doing some exercise to maintain muscle - otherwise you'll just burn your glycogen off and start burning your muscle down).

MadScientist
04-05-2009, 09:50 AM
actually when you're cutting its nice to keep your fat intake relatively high (along with fiber as well), because this will provide a more full satiated feeling than if you skimped on the fat.

Fat loss is a function based on calories in versus calories expended.

I agree to keep fat intake moderate to high - 80-120g fat when cutting should suffice. When cutting usually you want to decrease carbs slightly which will cause you to shuttle more fat into cells to be used as energy, especially while you sleep.

Take in less than you expend and you will lose fat (granted you are doing some exercise to maintain muscle - otherwise you'll just burn your glycogen off and start burning your muscle down).

But this makes no sense. If I dont exercise I will burn off glycogen? Glycogen is used WHEN you exercise and is replenished through carb uptake. Of course, your body can also manufacture carbs from other materials (ie on a zero carb diet you will of course still have blood sugar).

If anything, stopping exercise will keep glycogen levels high. Not that you would ever want to stop exercising though, since you are trying to cut.

Cutting is definitely about eating clean, taking in slightly less than maint calories, increasing healthy fats and proteins, and continuing to lift heavy in order to preserve muscle mass. And if you want to speed that process up, add some low intensity aerobics, or short HIIT sessions.

VikingWarlord
04-05-2009, 10:12 AM
But this makes no sense.

I think it was just badly phrased. I think he was intending to say that if you didn't lift to preserve muscle, you'll catabolize muscle.

Also, monounsaturated fats tend to work best for satiety. Saturated fats don't as much.

samadhi_smiles
04-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Your body will consume the sugar in your muscles along with the fat on your stomach if you are not doing something to 'demand' it to keep the sugar up in the muscle (ie intense lifting along with the appropriate level of replenishment). This will decrease the rate of fat burning (because your body only needs so much energy at a time and if its getting some from the sugar stores in the muscles it won't need as much fat).

Sorry that sounds even more awkwardly phrased :D

Stopping exercise will NOT keep glycogen levels high. In fact, you are very likely to notice your muscles decrease in size from not being stimulated. Why would your body keep all that yummy sugar in your muscles when you have 'told' it you don't need to use it anymore for muscle contraction.

MadScientist
04-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Simply stated, you are wrong.

You could stop lifting for weeks and not see any muscle atrophy, of course that is partially dependent on having at least close to maintenance calories.

If you assume such strong statements, at least state a time to your assumption, however they would still be wrong!

The amount of glycogen in muscles is insanely small to begin with, years ago I read an average of 300-400 grams of glycogen in your muscles (excluding liver).

Someone that doesnt lift weights may have slightly smaller glycogen storage but not by much!

All in all these things dont even matter, you are being hypercritical of processes that you have demonstrated that you dont even fully understand.

The initial post by the OP was how much fat can he eat while cutting.

The answer is 60-120g is fine! Also depends on many other factors such as carb and protein intake and type of fats, as one could consume higher mono and poly but if consuming mass quantities of butter, that could hinder your cut. Also depends on aerobic or HIIT activity and weightlifting routine. Also depends on when the fat is consumed, ie all in one meal or spread out over 6-8 meals.

samadhi_smiles
04-05-2009, 12:26 PM
in my experience I notice a decrease in the 'fullness' of my muscles when I stop regularly lifting. You do realize if we talk about depletion of glycogen we are also talking about depletion of intramuscular water, sodium, magnesium, creatine, etc etc etc.

MadScientist
04-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Glycogen has nothing to do with water, sodium, magnesium, creatine. Glycogen is a complex carb, stored in, and used by, muscles as an immediate source of glucose/energy.

Holto
04-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Bodybuilders experience gylcogen super compensation. Meaning they have more glycogen then the average person because they lift. When I have to stop lifting for some reason I lose fullness without losing muscle, because I lose glycogen.

bradleybbb
04-06-2009, 12:34 PM
think maybe Frank can help,,,I'm extremely lean but want to lose the very little fat on "love handles".. am taking a straight glycogen dose mixed with water along with predigested milk protein imm after workout.....Question: does this excessive glycogen add possibly prevent me from losing this fat store...is it adviseable to take this supp or something else....diet is lean and I stick to it...although lots of cals.in form of protein

MadScientist
04-06-2009, 01:37 PM
think maybe Frank can help,,,I'm extremely lean but want to lose the very little fat on "love handles".. am taking a straight glycogen dose mixed with water along with predigested milk protein imm after workout.....Question: does this excessive glycogen add possibly prevent me from losing this fat store...is it adviseable to take this supp or something else....diet is lean and I stick to it...although lots of cals.in form of protein

Sounds complicated.

Based on the limited info...

If you dont want more muscle,
Do aerobic activity 3-5x per week, 35-40mins @ 60-65% MHR

Or do short HIIT sessions 20-25mins @ 75-80% MHR

You possibly dont need "high protein". Unless you lift serious weightage, you wont need more than 1-1.5g per lb bodyweight. More will end up as fat.

Dont take creatine if you want to shred, it will make you store more water and can add to that "soft" look.

Do "mountainclimbers"/"bodybuilders"
great workout.

Forgot to answer your question. Glycogen will not hinder you in burning fat. But glycogen supps are bogus. If you want to increase glycogen uptake then drink a shake of 40/30/40 (grams) dextrose/maltodextrin/whey. Right after your weights session. Or even more dextrose/MD/protein if you want to bulk.

Whey is more fast acting, for your goal calcium caseinate would last longer and cause your body to retain muscle while burning fat.

Good luck and eat plenty of mixed veggies!