PDA

View Full Version : Since summer is around the corner...

Travis Bell
04-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Everyone is getting their grills out. I had some friends over the other night and we did the first steaks of the year. Man I love red meat.

So post your best marinade and grilling recipes!

We use a lemon pepper marinade for a few hours before grilling for the strips and a mesquite lime marinade for the porterhouse which I let marinade a little longer.

Get the grill goin at about 500 degrees and throw them on. Bout 4min on the first side, turn, about 2 more on the second side and they were a nice medium rare.

I was always taught the best way to grill a steak is to get it on, cook it as fast as you can and get it off the grill so it doesn't dry out as much

Some fried potatoes and asparagus rounded out the mix and we were good to go!

Brad08
04-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm smoking two racks of baby backs tomorrow (first ones, wish me luck).

As for steaks, I just use cracked pepper and sea salt, finished with butter at the very end. No marinade. Just good ol' beef flavor. If I'm using a cheap cut of beef, I'll throw on some Montreal Steak Seasoning to dress it up a bit.

Tutu_67
04-04-2009, 07:52 PM
For burgers i take the meat and but some worsteshire sauce in the meat for about 20 mins. before putting them on the grill. Good tasting **** there!!

Mercuryblade
04-04-2009, 08:46 PM
For burgers I keep it nice and simple. Louisiana hotsauce and chopped up onion.
Top with some pepperjack cheese, barbacue sauce, mmmmm.

Ben Moore
04-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Ben Moore burgers:

chopped onion
garlic
pepper
salt
1 egg
worsch. sauce

mix together an make 2 semi thin patties

cut a hefty slice of sharp cheddar and lay it on top of one patty. Put the other patty on top and seal the edges so the cheese is encased.

Makes the juiciest burger youve ever had. Good stuff.

VikingWarlord
04-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Christ, I need to get a grill. The only thing I can add here is my absolute favorite wet marinade for beef. This results in an absolutely incredible combination of flavor profiles.

For every pound of beef the approximate proportions are:

1/2C Canadian whiskey (I like CC or Canadian Mist, if you want to spring for Crown, go ahead)
1/8C low sodium soy sauce
1/8C worcestershire
1tsp Frank's Red Hot or your favorite fire sauce
1tsp garlic powder
Fresh ground black pepper

The alcohol will break down all connective tissues and tenderize the meat like none other. Since Canadian whiskey is sweeter than any other, the meat will take on some of that sweetness, the saltiness of the soy sauce, the tang of the worcestershire, and a little piquancy (hotness) from the hot sauce.

I put this all in a heavy duty freezer bag, put the meat in, remove as much air as possible, and put in the fridge for anywhere from 3 hours to overnight depending on the cut. This works with beef for any purpose. It's the liquid base of my beef stew as well as being a marinade.

Irish Pilot
04-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Bump. Im heading out today to buy a nice Weber, I need all the recipes I can get!

Travis Bell
04-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Ben Moore burgers:

chopped onion
garlic
pepper
salt
1 egg
worsch. sauce

cut a hefty slice of sharp cheddar and lay it on top of one patty. Put the other patty on top and seal the edges so the cheese is encased.

man I'm going to have to try that.

VikingWarlord
04-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Ben Moore burgers:

chopped onion
garlic
pepper
salt
1 egg
worsch. sauce

What sort of beef are you using? I've always had problems with patties staying together if I try to put onion in them. I have a feeling it's that the beef is too lean but haven't spent enough time trying to figure it out.

samadhi_smiles
04-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Ben Moore burgers:

chopped onion
garlic
pepper
salt
1 egg
worsch. sauce

oh man burgers on the grill....my favorite food in the whole world

Those sounds tasty Ben

:burger:

For Beef, if ya'll can ever get out to a farm where they are raising organic grass fed cattle....GET SOME OF THAT MEAT. It is WORLDS apart from the stuff you get in the grocery store. its so tasty so yummy...its really like a completely different food than the beef you're used to.

Travis Bell
04-05-2009, 08:42 PM
What sort of beef are you using? I've always had problems with patties staying together if I try to put onion in them. I have a feeling it's that the beef is too lean but haven't spent enough time trying to figure it out.

I usually use a fattier beef for burgers for just the reason you said, they stick together better

teeroy
04-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Ben Moore burgers:

chopped onion
garlic
pepper
salt
1 egg
worsch. sauce

I do something similar except I'm a big fan of blue cheese with meat so my slightly different recipe is:

salt
pepper
garlic
worsch. sauce
1 cup crumpled blue cheese per 1lb of meat

Mix all ingredients together by hand then make your patties and grill. Like Ben says they are extremely juicy. My guess is that the fat from the cheese keeps the inside of the burgers juicy.

Beast20
04-05-2009, 11:46 PM
same here man i need a grill, these posts have made me hungry as ****, and i love red meat with a passion, i often times find myself trying to convert vegetarians back to normal but theres usually no hope. that recipy sounds good, something simple i do for steak isjust some ground black pepper and salt, a little garlic, some worcestershire sauce, and since i dont have a grill like urself i broil it, not as good as grilling but gets the job done pretty quick and keeps it tender

Ben Moore
04-06-2009, 08:20 AM
I use 90/10 but the egg helps keep everything together

Brad08
04-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Ben Moore burgers:

chopped onion
garlic
pepper
salt
1 egg
worsch. sauce

Damn! That sounds really f'ing good!

Jorge Sanchez
04-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I am getting really hungry.

Stew
04-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Chicken:

Bottle of zesty italian dressing.
Cumin
Red Pepper flake
Garlic Powder
Onion powder

Add spices to desired levels. I love cumin and red pepper flake so those are pretty heavy. Marinate a few hours.

For white flesh fish, the zesty italian alone works amazingly well. Went fishing in the gulf (I live in MT, Florida doesn't happen often) and caught some amberjack. Best fish I've ever eaten.

JasonLift
04-07-2009, 07:09 AM
heh I grill 365. Heck this past winter I grilled steaks while it was freezing rain. I'll have to ask my wife about the marinade/seasoning as she does that and I handle the grilling.

Jorge Sanchez
04-12-2009, 07:23 AM
I tried sealing cheese inside a burger last night and it was absolutely delicious. Thanks for that tip, Ben. I bet you throw a kick ass BBQ.

Mercuryblade
04-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Anyone else have peanut butter on top of a cheeseburger?
It just occured to me that I had this before at a restaurant a few years ago, and it was ****ing delicious.

VikingWarlord
04-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Anyone else have peanut butter on top of a cheeseburger?
It just occured to me that I had this before at a restaurant a few years ago, and it was ****ing delicious.

****er. I'm trying to eat LESS peanut butter.

Jorge Sanchez
04-13-2009, 09:41 AM
There's this burger place in town that just makes burgers, but has hundreds of different combinations of toppings. Some of them have really weird toppings like pineapples, pears and, yes, peanut butter. I gave it a shot one time and it wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't say it was amazing, but I'd have it again.

Irish Pilot
04-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Our local famous burger joint has a PB burger with smoked applewood bacon and apparently its one of their bestsellers. Havent tried it though. ;) MN is of course most famous for the creation of the Jucy Lucy...thats my go to.

Mercuryblade
04-13-2009, 02:33 PM
There's this burger place in town that just makes burgers, but has hundreds of different combinations of toppings. Some of them have really weird toppings like pineapples, pears and, yes, peanut butter. I gave it a shot one time and it wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't say it was amazing, but I'd have it again.

Pineapple and bacon is also another really good combo on top of burgers.

Sidior
04-13-2009, 02:43 PM

Man I have not been to The Works in ages. Next time we train we should head there afterwards... yum.

BigWooly123
04-17-2009, 04:17 AM
My family buys a half cow from a guy that raises them on all natural feeding. Its the best meat I've ever had, we also buy half a pig raised the same way I couldn't imagine any better pork.
I put Montreal Steak Seasoning, cayenne, little bit of powdered or fresh garlic, lemon pepper on all of my steaks. Never was into marinating a good steak. We have a place called cash and carry, I'm sure a few of you have one in your town, but you can get new york steaks for 4.45lb in a big slab that cuts about 10-15 nice steaks. Way better priced than safeways, qfc, or anywhere else.

eazy_e_6901
05-01-2009, 04:57 PM
i am lazy. i just sprinkle on some montreal steak seasoning by mckormick