PDA

View Full Version : Meet Results and request for help with form

mike95763
04-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Meet Report, AAPF Nationals

This Friday I competed in the raw portion of the AAPF nationals in the 181 lb open division. I was a little disappointed with my total at the meet. I started the day off really badly in squats. I got all nervous and ended up changing my plans and lowering my first attempt all the way down to 418 lbs because they were calling everything incredibly strictly. I made 418 really easily then moved on to 473, also pretty easy (my planned opener was 460ish). My third attempt was for 507, I went down, hit depth and got back up again, but I was red lighted because the bar dipped slightly at my sticking point on the way up. I was really dissapointed here because I know I left close to 50 lbs on the platform in squat and that pretty much made it impossible for me to hit the total I wanted. Bench went ok. I opened at 319 then moved to 341. Both went pretty easily. My third attempt was 352 and I just ran out of gas on the way up. Deads were the only lift that I actually got a PR in. I opened at 501 and it was super easy. Second I hit 529 and third I got 551 pretty easily. I really wanted to total 1400 and they were giving fourth attempts if the third was completed successfully so I went up to 589. I actually almost got it but ran out of gas at about my knees. Here are videos of the day.

NundlXY3P2Q

bcr6QzGxwXg

1-dqI-8u3H8

I don't get a lot of input from guys who really know what they are doing, particularly in squat and deads, and these are really the first videos I have of myself lifting so I thought I would ask for help from you guys. Any imput would be really appreciated. Thanks

MarcusWild
04-04-2009, 04:14 PM
I think your squat form is pretty good. Your sticking point is about where most raw lifters get stuck. Try to push your knees out the whole lift. You can see them come in a bit right where you get stuck. Also, focus on pushing your traps into the bar to stay more upright. You may need more ab work to help with that. When you start to get suck, push out and arch harder.

On deadlift, I think you need to pick sumo or conventional. You're lifting semi-sumo. Sumo should be quite a bit wider. Try to get your chest up more at the start. You'll get better leverage.

slashkills
04-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Good job at the meet! those are some impressive lifts.
I think marcus pretty much covered the form stuff

evilxxx
04-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Great lifts! one thing I noticed...when you lower the weight on deadlift you got too much control of it...as long as your hands are on that bar when it touches the floor you got control of it, so dont waist so much energy lowering it so slow. That might have been a contributing factor to not getting the 4th attempt.

Travis Bell
04-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Drop those hips before you begin to pull. You need to sit down and use you hip and glute strength. That first one was just about a straight legged deadlift LOL

I think you'd have gotten that third bench if your elbows hadn't flared so much. They were fine on the way down, but as soon as you get the press command, you drive your elbows out instead of up. It's terribly difficult to engage your triceps when they are way out like that.

mike95763
04-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the imput everyone. I will definately be working on keeping my hips down on deads and my elbows in longer on bench. Thanks for the good advice.

BigTallOx
04-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Good job at the meet Mike.

BigTallOx
04-05-2009, 11:18 PM
On deadlift, I think you need to pick sumo or conventional. You're lifting semi-sumo. Sumo should be quite a bit wider.

I'm curious why you say this and what it's based on.

I pull with pretty much the same stance. If I go wider my hips bother me. But I can pull more weight "semi-sumo" than conventional. Why do you say you need to pick sumo or conventional? If I pick conventional, my max will drop. If I go wider sumo, then my hips hurt ( which will probably also make my max drop ). But, If I pull "semi-sumo", I seem to have the best of both, so why not do it?

It can't be *ALL* that bad if Ed Coan has pulled semi-sumo...
iuzIEWtbQ3E

MarcusWild
04-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I think Coan got away with it because his shoulders are WIDE. His feet are actually pretty wide and not that far from the plates on each side. His shoulders are so wide his hands end up outside his thighs though making it semi sumo.

I know Louie says your sumo max and conventional max should be close or you have an imbalance issue.

Hazerboy
04-06-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm pretty surprised you got red lighted on your 3rd squat attempt. You nailed the depth, it looked like the "dip" came because the bar was uneven on its way up. It looked like the bar you were using didn't have much/any knurling (can't tell from the vid), but I would just make sure you're getting set up evenly, sometimes when you get rushed or are using a bar you're not familiar with you can easily get a bit to the left or right of the center, costing you lbs.

Those are some solid numbers. What was your age division? how did your competition do?

BigTallOx
04-06-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm pretty surprised you got red lighted on your 3rd squat attempt. You nailed the depth, it looked like the "dip" came because the bar was uneven on its way up.

They were red lighting lots of squats that looked good to me. I guess at least they were consistent.

mike95763
04-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm pretty surprised you got red lighted on your 3rd squat attempt. You nailed the depth, it looked like the "dip" came because the bar was uneven on its way up. It looked like the bar you were using didn't have much/any knurling (can't tell from the vid), but I would just make sure you're getting set up evenly, sometimes when you get rushed or are using a bar you're not familiar with you can easily get a bit to the left or right of the center, costing you lbs.

Those are some solid numbers. What was your age division? how did your competition do?

I was a little suprised on the red light as well, but like BTO said they were being incredibly strict on everything. When the equipped lifters were squatting only one guy in canvas got a good lift (everyone else couldn't make depth) and only like one or two of the guys in other multi-ply stuff got good lifts. There were some big squatters that were really ticked off about how strict they were calling the squats, so at least they were consistant.

I lifted in the open division and won my weight class and got best open lifter. There wasn't a lot of serious powerlifters at the meet in the raw catagory. It was a bit like a large local meet (something like 40 or so raw lifters). There was only one other open 181 lifter and he was just starting out with powerlifting. I think he totaled ~1050.

jthomas
04-06-2009, 12:52 PM
I pulls semi-sumo and I think you are too narrow. My shins are right at the rings when I am pulled down low. I feel like I get the most out of my gear semi-sumo. I get at least 100 lbs this way. I pull RAW this way too.