PDA

View Full Version : nutrionists, whats the truth with soy (milk, tofu, etc)?

bball55
04-04-2009, 06:34 PM
asian culture loves tofu, and soy milk is good for those that have bad cholestrol and/or high blood pressure.

my mom said i should drink soy milk instead of regular milk, after i went to doctors several months ago, and he told me to START working out, eat healthy, etc, bc i had been smoking a lot, eating fast food, partying etc.

now recently, i heard that soy makes you feminine??? and could give you man tits???

im already benching a lot to get rid of the fat on my pecs, but having been drinking soy milk lately, im afraid that **** has been reversing what benching has done.

so what is the truth behind soy, estrogen, and health effects?

Tutu_67
04-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Are you serious? Just google soy milk for your answers, or ask.com. Holy crap!!!

bball55
04-04-2009, 09:50 PM
obv googled before, mixed messages.

cphafner
04-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Are you serious? Just google soy milk for your answers, or ask.com. Holy crap!!!

If you have nothing to add then please stay out of someones thread. Thanks.

anonymous1
04-05-2009, 07:43 AM
The dramatic claims of male estrogenation is pretty much fanatical anti-soy garbage.

VikingWarlord
04-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Among other things, unfermented soybeans contain:

Trypsin and hemaglutinin(sp?): are both growth inhibitors. Hemaglutinin(sp?) has also been linked to promotion of blood clots.
Goitrogens: suppress thyroid function.
Phytic acid: prevents effective mineral uptake in the intestinal tract usually, resulting in calcium, magnesium, iron and/or zinc deficiency. Zinc deficiencies have been linked to underproduction of testosterone.

Fermented soy (soy sauce, miso) isn't as bad as something that's made from soybean curd.

http://www.healingcrow.com/soy/soy.html

I still loves me some edamame though...

MadScientist
04-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Its fine in moderation but dont use soy 100%, it could be fine for eating throughout the day in moderation but whey will always be #1 for pre/post workout. If you are lactose intolerant you would naturally want less milk proteins and could perhaps eat more soy. Or just buy the tubs that are lactose free, though they cost a little bit more.

IMO, soy is not for bodybuilders, but may be fine for other sports and the average human. But here, we are not shooting for "average".

samadhi_smiles
04-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I can just give you anecdotal experience. If I eat a nice meal of a ton of yummy tofu (or tempeh) and rice, veggies...lots of it even...and then compare that to another night where I eat a lot of steak, rice, veggies.

the day after eating the steak I go lift I feel much stronger.

The day after eating the tofu dinner I go lift I feel like **** physically. I feel like I didn't feed my muscles at all.

I am going to start experimenting with tofu/tempeh for lunch though (alongside some nice whole grain like quinoa and veggies). Hopefully that in combination with a good meat dinner will suffice....tofu is really yummy if prepared right with the proper marination.