PDA

View Full Version : Brown rice sub?

NormalDude
04-04-2009, 06:56 PM
I tried a search but got a ton of threads with brown rice. I need to find a substitute for brown rice. Everyday for one of my meals is 1/2 cup of brown rice and I can't eat it anymore. What is a equal nutritional sub for a half cup of brown rice anyone? thanks in advance

Dingus
04-04-2009, 07:25 PM
You could try sweet potatos, wheat pasta or regular potatos.

Mercuryblade
04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
I tried a search but got a ton of threads with brown rice. I need to find a substitute for brown rice. Everyday for one of my meals is 1/2 cup of brown rice and I can't eat it anymore. What is a equal nutritional sub for a half cup of brown rice anyone? thanks in advance

The glycemic index of white rice is pretty much the same as that of brown rice. Although with brown rice you get a bit more fiber. Use white rice instead, and add some more vegetables or eat a bigger bowl of oatmeal in the morning.

given'er
04-05-2009, 12:04 PM
You could try sweet potatos, wheat pasta or regular potatos.

I second that. Sweet potatos are awesome! speggetti squash is also a good substitute for pasta without the carbs if you're looking for something different

twm
04-05-2009, 02:34 PM
The glycemic index of white rice is pretty much the same as that of brown rice. Although with brown rice you get a bit more fiber. Use white rice instead, and add some more vegetables or eat a bigger bowl of oatmeal in the morning.

so is rice in general a bad cutting food due to the glycemic index being generally the same as white rice? on higher carb days, ive pretty much been using ww pasta and rice...

lifter4life
04-06-2009, 12:24 AM
GI is outdated. think glycemic load. white rice is actually considered nutritionally better for you than brown. i think glycemic ratings are BS anyways but that is just me. you could eat oatmeal or something too.

Progress
04-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Oats.

getfit
04-06-2009, 06:28 AM
quinoa

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=142

NormalDude
04-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Well the easiest and i think best tasting option is going to be sweet potato. Instead of a half cup of the brown rice I just went with a half of a sweet potato.

devongarver
04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
quinoa

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=142

I LOVE this stuff i use it for 5-7 meals a week. I buy it from my local whole foods. Its a perfect food i swear! lol

Mercuryblade
04-06-2009, 10:59 PM
I LOVE this stuff i use it for 5-7 meals a week. I buy it from my local whole foods. Its a perfect food i swear! lol

How's quinoa and soy sauce?

getfit
04-06-2009, 11:14 PM

I couldn't agree more and a abudance of health!