PDA

View Full Version : Louie Simmons Q&A right here!

Travis Bell
04-05-2009, 08:10 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27284&stc=1&d=1238983758

Often Imitated. Never Duplicated. (http://www.westside-barbell.com)

Ok, so Chris talked Lou into doing a Q&A here.

Now, Lou won't be posting here himself. He's very busy every day and doesn't have the time to sit down and answer everyone's questions. So here's what we're going to do.

Post your questions here and we'll pick the top 3 or 4 each month or so and I will take them to the master himself. He sends me his answers and then I'll post them here along with the corresponding question so there is clarity.

Try and be creative with your questions. Lou has had the same dynamic effort questions or max effort questions over and over again, plus I can answer most of the basic questions. We'll send off the more complicated ones that will inspire some good discussion here

vdizenzo
04-05-2009, 08:53 PM
This is very cool indeed! Great feature, thanks Trav for gettng the GodFather to do this.

MarcusWild
04-05-2009, 09:17 PM
That's awesome. Any chance you could make it video Q&A so it can include demonstration?

Brian Hopper
04-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Thats a pretty cool idea, Thanks Travis!!!!

chris mason
04-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I will say that I was VERY excited when he agreed to do this for us. I truly believe he is the top strength coach on the planet. It is his love and passion and you can truly see that if you watch his seminars or are lucky enough to meet him in person. I would also encourage anyone here to also get his videos or book for further help. I have nearly all of the videos and they are GREAT.

SGT ROCK
04-05-2009, 09:59 PM
A VERY good addition. I have much respect for Louie. I may not agree with everything he does, but any of us could learn a great deal from him. I am very excited to have this addition. Tell Louie THANK YOU.

Semper Fi

DrDudley-Robey
04-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Sounds great!!

BigTallOx
04-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Post your questions here (snip)

OK, I have one that I basically asked on another thread that my buddy mike95763 started... (sorry mike, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. )

What's your feeling about pulling "semi-sumo", especially in reference to older lifters with hip issues who can't go really wide but can pull more weight semi-sumo than conventional. Is "semi-sumo" the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds?

Lones Green
04-06-2009, 03:16 AM
What a badass idea.

mikesbench
04-06-2009, 05:35 AM
This is an awesome idea. Louie does so much for powerlifting, if more people used their time and energy like him we'd have much less negativity and bashing and much more sharing of ideas and knowledge as well as a better chance for powerlifting to gain more exposure and acceptance. All I can say is thanks Louie for your continued generosity!

Ryan Celli
04-06-2009, 06:42 AM
I like this idea. WBB always getting better and better!

My time anymore seems to be more and more limited. I would'nt mind having a Q/A also, if anyone is interested.

Ryano
04-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Question: In general, does Louie recommend any different training techniques for older(50+) lifters. Such as, extra warmup, stretching, cooldown, supplements? Also, being a bench only lifter, my shoulders are so tight, I can't get both my hands on a bar behind my neck to even attempt squating. Is that just do to lack of stretching? Any and all opinions are welcome.

antknee
04-06-2009, 07:57 AM
this is awesome...ive got the book and have a few questions id love to ask..

Brad08
04-06-2009, 08:01 AM
I've got a question:

I've heard of people having success with the following 'old school' percent-based system (on what would later become DE Day):

SQUAT and BENCH
Week 1: 70% x 8◊3
Week 2: 75% x 8◊3
Week 3: 80% x 6◊3
Week 4: 85% x 5◊2
Week 5: 80%x2, 85%x2, 90%x2

DEADLIFT
Week 1 - 15 singles @ 65%
Week 2 - 12 singles @ 70%
Week 3 - 10 singles @ 75%
Week 4 - 8 singles @ 80%
Week 5 - 6 singles @ 85%

Do you ever still use or recommend these training cycles? If so, for whom? If not, why not?

LINK TO ARTICLE (http://web.archive.org/web/20030228074253/http://www.liftthis.com/percentage.htm)

Travis Bell
04-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Interesting Brad, can you point to me where you got that?

It might be from one of his articles, I just don't know off the top of my head and it helps if I do know where something comes from because it helps Lou remember the background of when he did create something

chris mason
04-06-2009, 09:25 AM

It might be from one of his articles, I just don't know off the top of my head and it helps if I do know where something comes from because it helps Lou remember the background of when he did create something

I don't think he is saying Louie provided those percentages, he is just using it as an example to see if Louie would recommend it or not and why.

Brad08
04-06-2009, 09:37 AM

I've added the link to my post. My understanding is, this was very old westside/simmons stuff, and those cycles represented the training to be done on what we now call DE day. Ive heard that those cycles built a lot of strong guys and I just wonder why/how Louie transitioned to the current DE cycles, and if he thinks those old cycles still have value, particularly for newer lifters, raw lifters, etc. Maybe those older cycles were too much workload or the percentages were just too heavy once his guys got so strong.

Travis Bell
04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Good stuff Brad! Thanks

chris mason
04-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I've added the link to my post. My understanding is, this was very old westside/simmons stuff, and those cycles represented the training to be done on what we now call DE day. Ive heard that those cycles built a lot of strong guys and I just wonder why/how Louie transitioned to the current DE cycles, and if he thinks those old cycles still have value, particularly for newer lifters, raw lifters, etc. Maybe those older cycles were too much workload or the percentages were just too heavy once his guys got so strong.

Ok, or maybe I was wrong... :)

TheVrolok
04-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Pretty awesome of Louie to agree to do this, and for Chris to talk him into it. I look forward to reading all the good advice.

WillNoble
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Mr. Simmons,

I had a question regarding your methods when training an athlete, football specifically. What methods or template do you use with these athletes, and along side of that what differences in training protocol would you make for them as opposed to one of your full meet lifters, such as Greg Panora or Tony Bolognone. The basis for my question arises from a discussion on sport specific training for football I had with Travis Bell, within this discussion we arrived at an impasse where it seemed to me that a football player would be best served by utilizing a Westside ME/DE split, with more varied accessory and sport specific movements outside of those used for one whose focus is powerlifting only, to increase not only muscle growth, but providing more improvement in GPP and SPP which is a necessity (in my opinion) for football . Travisí implication (or what it seemed to me) was that using the similar split to current Westside lifters would provide the optimal benefit.

Thank you for your time.

Will Noble

slashkills
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Id like to hear what he says about that one also

Frietbakker
04-10-2009, 05:58 AM
In one of his videos Simmons mentioned that exercises that work for him also work for individuals that are built like him. And so that they were also trying to group the tall lifters with the tall lifters and the short lifters with the short lifters since they benefit from the same exercises.

I am wondering if Simmons thinks this is still true and if so what kind of exercises are most beneficial for tall & short lifters and what kind of exercises are least beneficial for tall and short lifters.

I know; "just work you weak spot". But some exercises just dont work for me but work for others so it would be of great help for people if they knew what exercises they should try first.

I hope this rambling still makes sense! ;)

Kray-z
04-13-2009, 07:25 PM
I like this idea. WBB always getting better and better!

My time anymore seems to be more and more limited. I would'nt mind having a Q/A also, if anyone is interested.

If you are answering, I'm sure as hell interested.

hellofit4
04-15-2009, 11:24 AM
good idea :newbie:

Pecosbill
04-17-2009, 03:27 PM
I saw an article a while back about Louie having to have partial shoulder replacement surgery. I would like to know what his recommendations are for proper and injury preventive bench press techniques so that one can avoid undue shoulder joint stress. A lot of us older longtime lifters have pretty bad shoulders already and we would sure like to do everything we can to still be able to bench, but without doing further damage.

Travis Bell
04-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Good question Pecos, I'll add that one in to the list

Very good stuff guys. I'm going to get the final list here this weekend and hand them off to Lou next week, so if anyone has any other questions, make sure you get them in and I'll see about passing them off to Lou

antknee
04-17-2009, 03:40 PM
id ask what, besides diet, would he have a lifter do who is trying to add muscle mass..

3whitelights
04-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Just when you think all the other Q&As on this forum can't get better, you pick THE Louie Simmons to answer questions.

Louie has trained everyone from powerlifters and NFL athletes to MMA fighters, and has written an article on "what if I coached olympic lifting". I turned to a lot of Louie's information for training when I was a powerlifter, and I know this is kind of a loaded question, but I've always wondered what Louie would do if he trained strongman competitors. I've wanted to ask this for a while since it would be great to hear what one of the greatest minds in strength thinks about the qualities necessary to be a successful strongman competitor.

NordicMan
04-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Question: In general, does Louie recommend any different training techniques for older(50+) lifters. Such as, extra warmup, stretching, cooldown, supplements? Also, being a bench only lifter, my shoulders are so tight, I can't get both my hands on a bar behind my neck to even attempt squating. Is that just do to lack of stretching? Any and all opinions are welcome.

I like this basic question about training for lifters over 50.

There are issues of such things as stiffness, or back issues that bother more.

Great to see a good teacher offer this feature on this site. Thanks.

chris mason
04-18-2009, 07:33 AM
I know Louie has a lot of thoughts on shoulder issue training... Hopefully that one will get selected.

Tayyab
04-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Ok heres my question:

If you were a teenager, aged 15, and your parents didn't give you any money for supplements or the gym membership, What would you do if you still wanted to go on. Or would you think 15 is too young to start bodybuilding?:strong::strong:

Thanks btw Lou and WBBB forums!:study::study::strong::strong:

Lones Green
04-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Ok heres my question:

If you were a teenager, aged 15, and your parents didn't give you any money for supplements or the gym membership, What would you do if you still wanted to go on. Or would you think 15 is too young to start bodybuilding?:strong::strong:

Thanks btw Lou and WBBB forums!:study::study::strong::strong:

bodybuilding...? Do you realize who Louie Simmons is?

ljs102
04-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Mr. Simmons,

I had a question regarding your methods when training an athlete, football specifically. What methods or template do you use with these athletes, and along side of that what differences in training protocol would you make for them as opposed to one of your full meet lifters, such as Greg Panora or Tony Bolognone. The basis for my question arises from a discussion on sport specific training for football I had with Travis Bell, within this discussion we arrived at an impasse where it seemed to me that a football player would be best served by utilizing a Westside ME/DE split, with more varied accessory and sport specific movements outside of those used for one whose focus is powerlifting only, to increase not only muscle growth, but providing more improvement in GPP and SPP which is a necessity (in my opinion) for football . Travisí implication (or what it seemed to me) was that using the similar split to current Westside lifters would provide the optimal benefit.

Thank you for your time.

Will Noble

I'm also very curious about this.

Ripe1
04-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Should single-ply lifters train the same way as multi-ply lifters? If not what should the single-ply guys do differently?

Travis Bell
04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
The list has been compiled and I am working on getting it to Lou.

Look for the response in the form of an article in the next week or two.

Thanks for all the contributions

Travis Bell
06-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Ok, guys quick update.

This is still going to happen! I must apologize however. I have been absolutely slammed with work and we ran into some problems with the original plan so we had to reformulate somethings as far as how the information got typed out. I'm on it though and Lou gave me some excellent input!

It's more my fault on the tardiness though, it just didn't go as planned and I wanted to make sure I put the right amount of time into this so it turned out right for those of you who took the time to write out your questions. We're still working out the kinks for future Q and A but I think we're on the right track and that this should turn into a more ongoing thing.

Thanks for your patience and keep your eyes open in the near future for this article to come out!