PDA

View Full Version : Squat/DL questions

Fighter_15
04-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Is squatting off a box at an inch below parallel harder than doing full squats? Also, if I'm deadlifting off a 2 inch box how much more will I be able to deadlift off the floor approx.?

Sean S
04-06-2009, 08:45 AM
These things can vary considerably from person to person. It can be influenced by numerous factors such as technique, leverage, and relative strengths and weaknesses. The only way to really know is test all the lifts and see what the relationship is for you.

drew
04-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Is squatting off a box at an inch below parallel harder than doing full squats?

Usually. But not for everyone.

Also, if I'm deadlifting off a 2 inch box how much more will I be able to deadlift off the floor approx.?

The only way to know is to lift from the floor and find out. You should track your lifts and over time you will be able to make a comparison for yourself. Everyone is different.

slashkills
04-06-2009, 09:15 AM
From what ive been reading proper box squats should be harder than a normal squat. I just found out i was doing them wrong. I would just come down tap the end of the box and come up. From what i read you should sit all the way back on the box and not rock fowards to get off. Look through some of the westside barbell articles on their website. They have tons of articles on box squatting.

Reko
04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
drew pretty much nailed it.

johnnyo_99
04-06-2009, 11:10 AM
From what ive been reading proper box squats should be harder than a normal squat. I just found out i was doing them wrong. I would just come down tap the end of the box and come up. From what i read you should sit all the way back on the box and not rock fowards to get off. Look through some of the westside barbell articles on their website. They have tons of articles on box squatting.

while slash is right, I would disagree that "tap and go" as being wrong. both methods have their place, i have found the "tap and go" box squats to be more beneficial for my speed.

rbtrout
04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I've done both tap and goes and lean back and pauses. Both are difficult and both helped me with training.

As far as pulling from 2" up, that should help your initial pull, but there's no way to know how much you could really pull from the floor unless you try.

Fighter_15
04-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Yea I guess I can't really know unless I try it out.

Lones Green
04-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Yea I guess I can't really know unless I try it out.

This is true for most of the questions you are asking. Not trying to be mean at all, asking questions is great, but a lot of things in powerlifting have many variables that vary greatly from person to person.

Generally, a box squat an inch lower than parallel will be hard. This isn't the case for everyone.

Generally, pulls off blocks will be easier. This also isn't the case for everyone.